Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: What kind of exercises should i do?  (Read 1160 times)

Offline skiman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
What kind of exercises should i do?
« on: August 03, 2005, 06:56:53 AM »
I'm currently 17 and I have been an active skier for about 12 of those years.  When I was younger I used to have shoulder problems but since than I've moved on to dislocating my ankles regularily and kneecaps occasionally.  After multiple knee cap disloactions i was given that test thing and got a 9 out of 9 and after everytime i dislocate my knee cap I seem to lose more and more problems skiing and was wandering if anyone out there had a similiar problem and knew of any exercises to build up the strenght in teh knees.

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: What kind of exercises should i do?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 12:59:40 PM »
Have you seen an orthopedist?  The exercises you should do depend on the diagnosis.  There are a number of reasons a knee dislocates.  There are some exercises on the main web page here, but again, until you know what's wrong, doing exercises could actually make things worse.  I don't know what test you're talking about, but if this is a frequent occurance you could be damaging the articular cartilage (the white stuff at the end of the bone) in addition to the original source of the problem.

Talk to your parents, and get an appointment with a good orthopedist.  Since you're having problems with both ankles and knees, you may need to see 2 different doctors, to get someone who specializes in each joint.

Good luck.
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline ladybiker

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: What kind of exercises should i do?
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 12:14:25 AM »
Hi there:

Welcome to this site.  Sorry to hear of your knee problems but I agree with blackbeltgirl you should not really attempt any exercises until you have seen a orthopedist.  The damage you could do might really compromize your knee even more.

Take care and let us know how you make out.

Janice
Love to ride!!!