Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Recently Had Total Meniscectomy - Expectations?  (Read 6173 times)

Offline xSnowmaNx

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Recently Had Total Meniscectomy - Expectations?
« on: August 03, 2005, 05:33:52 AM »
Hi,

I just had my left lateral meniscus removed on the 29th of July and I really don't know what I should be experiencing as of now.  I didn't really get a chance to speak with the surgeon before or after the surgery but my Mom did.  However, she didn't ask him any questions that were of importance to me.  Apparently, the damage was extremely bad, so they didn't really have a choice but to remove the meniscus entirely (or so my mom said).  According to my mom, I will be able to return to full activity in time, however, I will get arthritis quite early in my left knee.  This I already know, but full activity?  If you need your meniscus, I don't see how it is possible to return to full activity if it has been removed.  I love playing paintball, and for those of you that play, you will know that paintball can be quite hard on the knees sometimes.  Having said that I have gotten a total meniscectomy, and assuming that I recover very well, will I be able to play paintball with the same intensity as before?

I also have a few concerns regarding the recovery itself.  As of the time of posting, it has been 5 days, going on 6 days since surgery.  My instructions for post-op up until my post-op appointment (August 9th) is to ice, elevate, move leg as much as possible, and do straight leg lifts (50-100 a day).  How much should I expect to be able to move my leg?  My range of motion at this point in time is extremely limited.  Is this normal?  Having said that, straight leg lifts, are quite difficult to do.  I can lift my leg from the hip while maintaining a slight bend in the knee, but not straight.  Is this acceptable?

And lastly, for those of you who have also had complete meniscus removals, how long did your recoveries take?  From time of surgery, to being able to walk comfortably, and to complete recovery.  I have a few other questions, but I kind of forgot some of them, but I think this is good for now.

Thanks

Oh and this is picture I took of the picture of my meniscus.  So for those of you who are surgeons or with some medical know-how, maybe comment or elaborate on what can be seen?

http://img260.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p80100224nv.jpg

Offline desmoface

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Recently Had Total Meniscectomy - Expectations?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 02:51:17 PM »
Hello, sorry to hear about your surgery.  I fear that I have also torn my meniscus while weight training (squats) but the symptoms for acl and meniscus are very similar and I do have full range of motion and no locking of the knee...

Hopefully someone on here can answer your questions but I'm curious as to how you injured your knee?  Good luck with your recovery.

Steve

Offline xSnowmaNx

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 05:29:46 PM »
Well, there were multiple events and we aren't sure which one caused the most damage, but we have an idea.  First, back in February, I was on a bike trying to get home.  It was one of those bikes with the straps on the pedals to hold your feet on to them.  I absolutely hate those things because you can't just get off, you have to think about it, pull your foot out and then plant it on the ground.  But I couldn't ride the thing without the straps.  Couldn't take them off or pedal from the other side of the pedal because the straps would scrape on the ground and the pedals wouldn't turn all the way if I did that.  Anyways, I come up to a street and I stop, but the straps keep my foot on the pedal and I completely forgot about the straps.  I started falling over to my left side (foot still strapped) and the frame of the bike and basically all my weight fell on the bike and the frame came in kind of from behind and basically smashed into my upper calf in the back.  Basically it was like my left foot stuck on the pedal, with me leaning back to the right and having all my weight and the bike fall on my leg and 'ripping' my lower leg out from the knee.  Initially, I felt a pop and I thought maybe there was a slight dislocation or something, but I didn't feel any pain.  But when I tried to get up my leg didn't hold any weight at all.

I got an X-Ray and didn't see any fractures and my doctor said that I probably had a moderate sprain.  So I just rested and a few weeks later everything seemed to be fine.  About late May, I went to play some paintball.  When I was playing everything seemed to be great.  Then, in a game, I was standing up and was trying to turn around so when I pivoted on my left leg, something popped and I just basically fell over because my leg couldn't hold any weight.  I knew I did something this time so I went to get an MRI and it showed I had a torn lateral meniscus.  I chose to have surgery but it wasn't until only last week that I actually got it because of my surgeon's schedule and my own.  He was about to go on his vacation and I was about to go on mine.  But I wasn't in any urgent need of surgery.  I could walk fine, I just couldn't run or carry too much extra weight.  So I went to Korea and came back and now here I am.

My surgeon isn't sure exactly which event caused the majority of the damage, but he believes it was the bike accident.

Offline Jennygf

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 06:45:07 PM »
Hey,
I had a lateral meniscus tear aswell.  I had surgery on may 6th.  after my surgery i couldnt really put full preasure on it for a week and then walked with a limp for about another week or so.  I am about 3 months post op. and still having pain, but everyone heals differently. I couldnt run on my knee for a good 7-8 weeks Post op. and i am stlll not able to run long distance or sprint without pain.  My dr. told me that usually the lateral meniscus healing time is longer than other areas of the meniscus. I found that taking a pain reliever every day was helpful with the pain and avoiding to put a lot of preasure on it helped.  also after i was on it for a long period of time i iced it and that helped as well. 

Good luck
Jen
16 year old
Basketball injury to knee 1/28/05
Bad bone bruise nad torn meniscus
Lateral menisectomy 5/6/05
Soccer Goalkeepr....I wanna play

Offline xSnowmaNx

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 07:33:01 PM »
How was your flexibility after surgery?  Right now I am extremely limited.  My quads are really tense and they feel like they are reaching their limits at barely (from my estimation) a 120 degree bend.

Offline Jennygf

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 03:14:02 AM »
My flexibility after surgery was very  limited.  even at my 10 day post op visit i wasnt at 90*.  Also someone told me that it was perfectly normal for the muscles around the knee to feel tense,sore, and tight because when u have the surgery they spasm or something like that and because ur knee is in a bent position for such a long time its hard to get out of it.  one thing that sorta help me leg was to keep my foot moving like moving my ankle up and down to keep the blood flow and just trying to bend my knee as much as i could.  I would hold my leg (or have someone hold it for me) to and sort of force a bend so that all my legs wieght wasnt on my knee.  if that makes any sense.  keep ice on it.  for me as the swelling went down, my flexibility went up.

Good luck
Jen
16 year old
Basketball injury to knee 1/28/05
Bad bone bruise nad torn meniscus
Lateral menisectomy 5/6/05
Soccer Goalkeepr....I wanna play