Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: broken patella or gowth plate  (Read 1098 times)

Offline Clark1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
broken patella or gowth plate
« on: August 03, 2005, 05:07:58 AM »
My 19 year old son was in a car accident 2 days ago.  After 15 hours in the emergency room, two ER doctors said that he had a broken patella and plan for surgery.  The orthopedist later came in and told us it was his growth plate and released him.  Please excuse the ignorance, but do 19 year olds still have growth plates?  Who do I believe?   

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
Re: broken patella or gowth plate
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 01:33:30 PM »
I'm not too sure, But I know when I was 13 I broke my grwoth plate in my wrist. My guess is that 19 year olds may still have grwoth plates, but they are closed and no longer grow anymore. Im not sure though. You cold always go see another OS for a second opinion. goodluck
krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline ProfLiebstrom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • fin
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 01:46:32 PM »
I'd say it is possible growth plates are still open. I'm nearly 18 and all of mine are still going. I'd get a 2nd opinion to be sure whats going on.

Offline My Sister Sam

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 11:08:18 PM »
At 19, it is true, he may very well still be growing. That being said, any remaining growth is likely very minimal, which might explain why the doctor seemed unconcerned and sent your son along. It's sad though that they often shrug things off so easily without considering the patient's concerns.
There is also a tiered system of growth plate injuries, and some are much more severe than others (i.e., Salter-Harris scale). I had a Salter-Harris IV fracture to my right knee at the age of 6, and at 41 now, I am still going through surgical procedures to correct the deformities. It's been a nightmare.

Does your son have a follow-up visit with an Orthopedic doctor? If not, I think you should get one. Or, speak again to the doc at the ER, and see if you can get a more detailed explanation of your son's injury. You deserve at least that. I wish you the best.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 10:45:41 PM by My Sister Sam »
'70 Auto accident - Salter Harris IV fracture distal femoral epiphysis - R knee
'71 R - Bony Bar Resection femoral epiphysis
'78 L - Epiphysiodesis
'79 R - Distal Femoral Osteotomy/LR
'04 R - TTT/Medial Reefing 
'05 R - Trochleoplasty/Medial Reefing/TTT
'05 R - AIR/LOA
'07 R - TKA