Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Having Surgery...3 issues  (Read 1137 times)

Offline purplestars1881

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Having Surgery...3 issues
« on: August 02, 2005, 05:09:34 PM »
Hello,

I saw my OS today and I am having surgery on my left knee for a meniscal tear. I was hoping that those of you who have gone through this may be able to shed some light on what happens after surgery. How long will I need crutches? When can I drive again (I drive a standard), are there generally follow up appointments, when can I return to work, how long before I can begin playing tennis and working out....etc.

Also, the OS found that I have a cyst on the back of my knee which he feels has been caused by fluid in my knee. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Lastly, he is going to be making an incision to allow my patella to move more normally. Has anyone had this done?
Lateral Release & Torn Meniscus...August 2005

Offline morgan515046

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Website
Re: Having Surgery...3 issues
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 05:29:51 PM »
PurpleStars,

Depending on wether you OS repairs or takes out the torn part of the meniscus determines how long you'll be on crutches. Usually OS's will try to repair it so you don't have arthritis down the road. But alot of tears can't be repaired. The recovery for a menisectomy (taking out) is a lot faster than the repair. Usually about 2-7 days on crutches (depending on you and your OS's protocol.) for the repair can be anywhere from 4-6 weeks (depends on OS's protocol.)

Yes you will have followup appointments. Not sure about the work one. As for tennis, I had a menisectomy July 6th and was told that I can't go back to sports until late Sep. Early Oct. Your OS will discuss this with you, think the same goes for working out. Your OS will probably give you a time table for that though.

Usually with meniscal cysts once you fix the meniscus that causeing all the fluid the cyst will go away. Usually they drain it. I['m not too sure about that though. Didn't have one. Well hope this helps a little bit. Good luck to you!

Morgan

P.S. When is your surgery???
*14 years old*

3/29/05 Track hurdle incident
7/6/05 surgery for menisectomy
8/9/05 Possible RSD???
10/11/05 Patella Tendonitis from not rehabing all the way.

VOLLEYBALL ROCKS!!!

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 05:42:26 PM »
Hi Purplestars,
   I am sorry to hear that you need to have knee surgery.  I can help with everything but the cyst.  For the meniscus tear, it depends on whether a repair or partial menisectomy is performed.  In the long run, you are better off if they can repair the meniscus and keep your meniscus intact.  A meniscal repair rehab is longer and more involved than the rehab from a menisectomy.  A repair requires being non- to partial-weight bearing for several weeks and PT after surgery.  The length of time on crutches depends on your OS.  The rehab from a menisectomy is fairly simple.  I have always walked out of surgery and have never required PT.  I returned to work after taking 1 day off work.  I returned to my normal activities in about 3 weeks.  However, everyone heals differently and each OS has his own rehab protocol.
   The incision to allow your patella to move more normally sounds like a lateral release.  I would be very leery of having a LT done.  The only thing that a LR is good for is patellar tilt.  It will not help maltracking nor subluxing or dislocating.   I would recommend going to www.orthosupersite.com and watching the video on the history of the LR by Dr. Fulkerson.  you will need to register on the site, but it is free and only takes a couple of minutes.  Also go to http://www.kneehippain.com/patient/pain/surgery.html  and read Dr. Grelsamer's write-up on the LR.
   Here are some links to sites on meniscus repair surgery.
http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/meniscusinjuries1/a/meniscusrepair.htm
http://www.arthroscopy.com/sp05026.htm
http://www.stoneclinic.com/men_repair_rehab.htm
http://uconnsportsmed.uchc.edu/patientinfo/postop/knee/re_meniscus.html

Good luck,
Patty

Offline purplestars1881

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 05:52:37 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for your help. I am having surgery on the 15th of this month. The LR is for a patellar tilt issue. Do you still think that I should be leary of it?

Thanks,
Heather

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 06:54:09 PM »
Hi Heather,
   I have had several LRs on both knees and none of them corrected the patellar tilt, but they didn't cause any more problems so I was lucky.  I just always cringe when an OS recommends a LR to correct maltracking, subluxing, or dislocations.  If your OS is recommending it for tilt only then he apparently knows what he is talking about.  I would still go to Dr. Grelsamer's site and the orthosupersite and research the LR procedure.  And I would ask your OS how much he is planning on releasing.  Good luck!

Patty

Offline purplestars1881

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 08:14:52 PM »
Patty,

Thanks for all of your information. I really appreciate yo utaking the time to answer my questions!

Heather

support