Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Surgery in NYC  (Read 988 times)

Offline NYC Newbie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Surgery in NYC
« on: August 02, 2005, 04:34:57 AM »
I am scheduled to get my degenerative meniscus tear and meniscus cyst removed next week at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC and am wondering what I am really getting myself in for?  What kind of pain will I be in?  When will I be able to walk without too much pain?  What is the rehab process like?  When does your knee feel "right"?  What should/shouldn't I be doing the days before and after the surgery? Oh yeah I am a 23 year old male that is very active.  Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for the help.

Offline Sharon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: Surgery in NYC
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 05:23:13 AM »
Hi,

I haven't had the surgery that you're having so I can't really give much advice on it but I did want to reply because I just had surgery done at HSS 2 weeks ago as well as 2 other surgeries there previous to this. I don't know if you've had other surgery there but if not, it is the best hospital. Everyone there is so nice and so caring, willing to do whatever they have to in order to make sure you feel comfortable both before and after surgery. For me, it was that they let my mom into the pre-op area even though they usually only do that with patients under 18 but I needed to see her before I went into the OR so the nurse brought her back for me and let her stay for as long as I needed her there. They also let 1 family member at a time into the recovery room after you get out of surgery and I've found that helps alot too in terms of just making you feel better and more comfortable. Would you mind if I asked who your doctor there is? Dr. Answorth Allen did my previous 2 surgeries and Dr. Thomas Wickiewicz did my last one. Sorry I couldn't offer any advice about the surgery itself. Good luck!

Sharon
Left knee:
LR-5/99 & 9/01
Distal realignment and LR 7/02
TTT revision 6/03
screw removal/MUA 10/03
d/x with severe patella baja
7/05 patellar tendon replacement w/piece of quad tendon
4/07 OATS

Offline NYC Newbie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 12:48:29 PM »
It will be my first surgery and my doctor is Dr. Wickiewicz- I have heard nothing but good things about him and the hospital.  And thank you for the response.

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 03:53:40 PM »
Hi NYC,
   I have never had a cyst removed from my knees, but I have had numerous partial menisectomies.  The rehab from the meniscus tear depends on whether they repair the meniscus or cut away the torn part and smooth the meniscus.  If they do the repair, which is better in the long run, then the rehab is longer and more involved.  You can expect to be non-weight bearing for several weeks and will probably be sent to PT for several weeks.  If they simply remove the torn part, the rehab is fairly easy.  Every OS has a different rehab protocol, but I have always walked out of surgery after a menisectomy and never had to go to PT.  After about 3 weeks I was back to all my normal activities.  I hope this ehlps with the meniscus part of your question.  Sorry I can't help with the cyst rehab.

Good luck,
Patty