Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Strength Program  (Read 6215 times)

Offline Heavy_Harry

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • When I stuff a knee up, I sometimes stuff it good
Strength Program
« on: August 01, 2005, 10:06:39 AM »
Hello people

I had a prep session with the Phyiso that is running the strength training program and I noticed that the excerise sounded vaugly famliar to one the books I have read home, the book known for it's strength and core training for people. The books's name, "Strong Women Stay young"

I think it would work for men as well as women, the excerise programe is to strenghten the weight bearing muscles, legs, arms and toso. As well it is too prevent bone disease Osteoproisos[not sure of spelling] loosing bone density and prevent fractures to a certin degree. This run by the commuity health center by the goverment funding For people with chronic, weight and joint problems to keep helathy despite their health problems:weight, joint and 2 diabetes and arthritis

My aims is simple, to strengthen up what little muscles that is left in my  legs.......dispite the various sport injuries  that needs constant supporting in the form of, braces and splints. So the core excerise is more important for me then ever as haboring leg problems, the muscles need contant toning excerising and more importanly strength training as I do not want to end up in a chair or walker frame. By having my muscles in my legs wasting away

I think I might be able to prevent it from happening  if I start  the strength  training program early!! As I was the only young person in the group, as majority of them were middle aged people. I think I have age at my side at the moment, so far.......

As majority was above 30 yrs old and me I am bearly 30 yrs old.....but like them I too will age in time. So best think is to keep supple.

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
Re: Strength Program
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 03:16:01 PM »
Sounds like a good Progran.

I'm sure you will get a lot of benifit from it.

Good Luck with your program.

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 03:19:48 PM »
Harry -

I've read that book - good stuff in there.  Do you wear your braces and supports when you do strength training?  I wear my brace when I do a cardio workout, but I don't wear it for muscle strengthening.  For strengthening I do what the knee will allow, within guidelines set by my doctor.  But I make the muscles work without support.  I was told that wearing my brace when I did strength workouts would reduce the effectiveness, since the brace takes some of the strain off the muscle.  Just wondering.

Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline Heavy_Harry

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 12:29:01 AM »
Hello Blackbeltgirl

Yes I do wear my supports when strength training as with the PT in my program hasn't said enything about me taking the braces off my legs just of yet. But majority when strolling around as I often wear or the leg will play up somthing chronic!! As knee and ankle pops out of place, if it's not the knee then it's ankle that dislocates!!!

As you know, part of the weakness is developemental fault as been a late walker didn't help it as the muscle didn't get a chance to build up as been approx 6-9 yrs of age when I started walking didn't let my muscles adjust to the body weight it has to carry. The PT may guide my way thru it......If he says to take the braces off I will does so for the best muscle development in my legs. Nex session I get a assessment from the PT to help "tailor" the program to my needs.

Offline jmcreynolds

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 02:32:55 PM »
I noticed of few of you were referring to braces that you wear.  What kind are they and do they reduce your pain (like when walking)?
Scope 10/04 and debridement of chondral defect,  OATs on 1/05

Offline Heavy_Harry

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 10:48:06 PM »
Hello Jmcrerynolds

The braces I wear are the C180, to me they are a sports brace. Good for those who are often shuffling around the place constantly. They often stop my knees from dislocating as my knees have a tendecy to pop out of place without warning.  I try to combine  the brace with regular excerise if I can.

I saw the Othoitist to help me in selecting the correct brace to suit my needs, plus browsing thru kneeguru's pages with braces and types help me with which one I needed, but I sugguest a GP or OS to help your with diagnoising what knee trouble you've got and they can sugguest what type support you may, as  infomation is one needs to get the best out your braces  you eventually be using.