Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: New to site - Knee Problems!  (Read 908 times)

Offline danb

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
New to site - Knee Problems!
« on: July 31, 2005, 08:35:30 PM »
I will try and be brief & not too bleak! Aged 33 now, 4 -5 cartiledge ops early 20's due to rugby injuries, then ACL replacement, have been advised 5 years ago that i have stage 3(?) OA. Articular lining has gone on outside Tib & Fib and to cap it all the last op I had was to remoce spurs etc and to be told ACL now gone again. I used to be private but have started own business so no medical cover. I now have severe restricted movement, my knee is constantly inflamed and painful, I am reluctant to go to local GP because (in my opinion) they are useless and I dont really want to end up in hospital waiting for a knee replacement at my age! What are the options, any idea's? also I have read some stuff on supplements can someon enlighten me? ???

Offline kath

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
Re: New to site - Knee Problems!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 08:50:02 PM »
Hi danb,

Welcome to the site, but also sorry you have to be here!

I can't offer specific comments about what you are going through, except to say it won't get better on it's own.  You do need medical intervention...whether it mean surgery or not.  You need to be reassessed before the damage continues to the point that your options are limited.

I have gone through the route of taking glucosomine, with no real value.  My OA progressed in both knees to the point I needed surgery.

The best advice I could give you is to see either your GP for a referral to an OS who specializes in knees, or to go once again to your original OS for a reassessment and then perhaps get another one or two opinions.  You are the best judge of your quality of life...I just don't think self-treating is the answer!

Good luck..please let us know how you do!

kath
Bi-lateral unicompartmental Nov 2004

Offline morgan515046

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Website
Re: New to site - Knee Problems!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2005, 09:50:50 PM »
Hello Danb,

I agree with Kath. Get it checked by an OS. Good luck and keep us posted!

Morgan
*14 years old*

3/29/05 Track hurdle incident
7/6/05 surgery for menisectomy
8/9/05 Possible RSD???
10/11/05 Patella Tendonitis from not rehabing all the way.

VOLLEYBALL ROCKS!!!

support