Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Any ideas??  (Read 784 times)

Offline Sarah_Jane

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Any ideas??
« on: July 30, 2005, 10:29:02 PM »
Hiya,
New to this site and wondered if anyone out there could shed any possible light on my knee problem.

I went to my GP about 6 weeks ago to complain about a crunching  noise in my knee.  It happens every time I put weight on my leg and bend, especially if coming down the stairs.  It's not every now and again, it happens every time I bend...a long crunch, like bones grinding.  I'm only 30 by the way so hopefully shouldn't have wear and tear just yet!!  Saying that, I am a primary teacher and bend down a lot.

I also have swelling on the lower underside of the knee cap.  When I have been walking for a while, I get pain across the centre of the knee cap as well as to the side (the side facing the other knee).  It throbs if I lay down but bend the knee slightly, keeping the foot on the bed.

My GP gave me ibuprofen but it didn't help at all.  He asked me if I had injured it but I said I hadn't.  However, I do remember about a week before seeing the GP, I fell down a step but thought I had only twisted my ankle.

Thinking about returning to GP but he just said 'all joints crunch from time to time', he didn't even listen to the noise for himself.

Can anyone give me any pointers as to what this may be??
Sarah x

Offline ladybiker

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: Any ideas??
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2005, 10:36:47 PM »
Hi Sarah:

I would go back to your GP if things have not calmed down and tell him about falling down the stair.  He might have you go for exrays and some PT to start with.  The crunching is pretty normal for knee joints especially if there is no pain.  My knee would crunch all the time before I injured it, now it is a kinda clunk when I straighten it.

Hope you are feeling better soon let us know how you make out.

Take care
Janice
Love to ride!!!

Offline RakhshandaE

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Any ideas??
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2005, 04:39:15 AM »
crunching without pain is ok, but if you have pain and swelling then there is a reason.  Go back to your GP and ask for a referal to a good Orthopedic Dr.  My problems started with a crunching sound which remindeds me of walking on corn flakes.  I was 30 when they did my first surgery.  Mine has been caused by maltracking of my patellas which has caused a lot of wear  on my patella I really let mine go too long and it wore a grooves in my joints.  Don't waste a lot of time waiting it out just go and find out what is going on in there.  Good Luck!!
Rakshanda
10 surgeries 5 on Left 5 on Right in last 11 years
2LR, 3VMO, TTT, Multiple Meniscus repairs and partial removals, 3 Patella Microfractures 1 Femoral Microfracture, multiple debraiding and tendon repairs. Most recent surgery 10/7/05. Will have either TKR or OATS in 05 for 4cm lPat. leison