Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: NHS Treatment (UK)  (Read 2160 times)

Offline eirikr

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
NHS Treatment (UK)
« on: July 29, 2005, 03:24:11 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but I'm just wondering if other people have had similar experiences with NHS treatment, and if so, what they did about it. 
Basically, on 01/06 this year I was meant to have an ACL replacement.  The day before the op I got home from work to find a letter form Homerton (Hackney) saying that due to unforseen circumstances the op was being put back to 20/09.  I'd recruited cover for work, cancelled a holiday and all the other bits and pieces that come with having an op, but fair enough, these things happen.  Ten days ago, I received a letter informing me that my op had been brought forward to 29/07, i.e. today.  So, another person is arranged for cover, another holiday is unbooked etc etc.  After spending three hours in my hospital gown this morning, I was informed that my operation was going to be cancelled and put back to some point in September.
These are just the most recent examples of mess-ups, I've had an appointment brought forward without notice (resulting in a Did Not Attend being stamped all over my records, despite the fact that I turned up for the original date), a referral to another consultant taking three months instead of weeks because the hospital forgot to send the letter, and so on.
I'd just like to know if people have complained in these situations, and to whom, and what the outcomes have been. Or do I  have to grin and bear it and hope that next time will be different?
I'm beginning to wonder if there is any point carrying on with this process, hopefully someone will have a happy ending to share.  Cheers.

Offline silva

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: NHS Treatment (UK)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 04:42:27 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but I'm just wondering if other people have had similar experiences with NHS treatment, and if so, what they did about it.†
Basically, on 01/06 this year I was meant to have an ACL replacement.† The day before the op I got home from work to find a letter form Homerton (Hackney) saying that due to unforseen circumstances the op was being put back to 20/09.† I'd recruited cover for work, cancelled a holiday and all the other bits and pieces that come with having an op, but fair enough, these things happen.† Ten days ago, I received a letter informing me that my op had been brought forward to 29/07, i.e. today.† So, another person is arranged for cover, another holiday is unbooked etc etc.† After spending three hours in my hospital gown this morning, I was informed that my operation was going to be cancelled and put back to some point in September.
These are just the most recent examples of mess-ups, I've had an appointment brought forward without notice (resulting in a Did Not Attend being stamped all over my records, despite the fact that I turned up for the original date), a referral to another consultant taking three months instead of weeks because the hospital forgot to send the letter, and so on.
I'd just like to know if people have complained in these situations, and to whom, and what the outcomes have been. Or do I† have to grin and bear it and hope that next time will be different?
I'm beginning to wonder if there is any point carrying on with this process, hopefully someone will have a happy ending to share.† Cheers.

Offline silva

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 04:48:33 PM »
Hi
No you should not accept all these delays , Think you must do a bit of leaning, and make a polite pest of yourself, by telephoning regullar at least once a week, explain that it is making life very difficult for you, also  write to the hospital adminstrator to find out why you as being passed over,  Which hospital are you with.  You may need  to change, you could ask the hospital youare under, if they could transfer you, as they are having difficulty in fitting yhou in, it will pay be contact them regularly.
Good luck and keep trying.
Silva.

Offline reli-hunter

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Evil Knees
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 05:15:19 PM »

Hi Silva.
Ihad a simular problem as you about 5yrs ago i went into a NHS hospital arrived at 730am turned away at 1230pm and told they could not do my surgery that day,then i had 2 more put back and on the 4th time of trying i had my surgery.
My latest knee surgery was put off because the could not get the equipment i was told at my pre op assessment which wasn't to bad so when i went to see my os he gave me another date i said to him are you sure you can get the equipment for that date because i was booked to† go away his reply to me was it is the NHS you know.
it very differcult trying to fit in around everybody employers are not always very understanding they don't like begin messed around.
Regards jan

knees giving way & locking since childhood, patella tendon transfer in 1969 left knee,
ateral release & Arthroscope 03/03 right knee,PFJR 18/03/05 right knee,† † † † †† Arthroscope medial plica removed 10/01/06 left knee,†
PFJR or TKR on the left knee in the future

Offline ladybiker

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 06:48:46 PM »
Hi there:

Was just wondering where you are from because where I come from (B.C.)  these kinds of things happen on a regular basis.  My bosses son was booked and cancelled three times before he actually had the surgery.

I would be getting onto the phone to your OS and seeing what can be done for you.  Explain the situation and just see what happens.  They might not be able to do anything for you but you won't know unless you ask.

I know that when it comes time for my surgery I dont think I will think it will happen until I wake up in recovery LOL. ::)

Let us know how you make out.

Janice
Love to ride!!!

Offline emma

• Forum Faithful
  • My dogs got better knees than me!!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2005, 12:17:38 AM »
hey guys

I was booked to have my op on the 22/9/05 and just got a letter today cancelling it and rebooking for 1/12/05

I really hope that this is not gonna be the start of something bad....

I really hope that you will be under the knife soon eirikr!   ;)

Keep on at them I'm gonna!!!

Emma x x
Spontaneous dislocations to both kneecaps for 20 years!
Bilateral Arthroscopies - Awaiting Op's Right knee on 23/9/05
Left knee in Jan 06

Offline Charliemouse

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2005, 07:18:47 PM »
Oh great I haven't even made it to the waiting list yet. Got to make it through another two physio sessions before I even get referred (just going through the motions). I have started looking into private options (not cheap if I have got cruciate damage) but have been told that if I go private I will most likely have to find the money for an MRI as well. Has anyone gone down the route of scraping together the cash to go private and how did you go about arranging it?
18/06/05 Injured trampolining
Fixed Flexion 20-90 deg until...
01/09/05 lateral meniscectomy (40%)
09/06/06 Patella tendon aclr
09/09/06 Back on the tramp (carefully)
10 years on and still going strong
!!Stop twisting when you land or it hurts!!

Offline kiki88

• Regular Poster
  • Slow and steady gets the cake
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2005, 01:53:26 PM »
After being initially stuffed around by the NHS when I fell down and damaged my meniscus in December 2003 (examples being physio every two weeks and after you can walk/hobble, they discharge you; waiting 7 months for an MRI scan), i'm having as little to do with them as possible.† I have my ACL reconstruction (hamstring graft) done in France in early April.† And yes, it cost quite a bit, but not as much as it would have done in the UK and I wasn't stuffed about timing-wise with cancellations and goodness what else.

After I flew back from France, I got myself onto the hospital list ASAP.† VITAL because post-op, you've really got to get all the help you can ASAP.

I'm relying on the NHS for follow-up help ie. OS appointments (because they cost an arm & a leg!) but am paying for physio privately. The NHS two weekly physio appointments just don't cut it, especially post-op.

Re MRI Scan, I was on a 4 month waiting list but got myself on the cancellation list after a friendly chat with the MRI appointment lady.† However, if you can maybe call up every morning - because they have cancellations every day - you might be able to score yourself one.† I was at an OS appointment two weeks ago and he called them up to see whether my appointment could be put forward and was told there was a vacant slot right then and there - two months before my scheduled one.† So it really does help to be persistent (and polite!).† Also, I read a post on here which said that MRI scans vary in price.† London Bridge hospital quoted me £800 (immediate appointment available) whilst a poster on this forum was quoted approximately £200 at a hospital somewhere in the North.

The NHS just doesn't have the resources to provide an effective medical service for 55 million people although I know a lot of the staff try their darndest.† And hospitals, of course, differ.† However, if money is an issue (& it is for me!), it's best to see what you can spare and use a combination of private and NHS, because after all, it's your quality of life you're talking about.

Hope this helps.

kiki
ACL Recon (hamstring) 4 April 2005
Arthroscope on 14 October 2005.  Revealed cyclops lesion, screw in incorrect position, graft too vertical, ruptured graft.  Hardware removed, bone graft to patch up tunnel and screw holes.  Currently waiting for bone to heal before undergoing 2nd ACL in 2006.

Offline Charliemouse

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2005, 03:31:28 PM »
Thanks Kiki

I'm going to have to do something as I can't cope with being like this for much longer. It's only been a month and a half but as I only have 40 deg rom and can't straighten it I can't do very much at all and am always reliant on crutches. Physio hasn't been a problem to get but anything else seems to be damn near impossible. Waiting time for an MRI at my nearest hospital is 8 months, my dad had one a while back but we've since found out he could have gone to another hospital not that far away and had it done 4 months sooner. I left casualty with an MCL sprain and when it didn't get any better I went back to doc who sent me to physio. Physio says there is very little she can do for me as she reckons I have a meniscal tear (probably buckethandle) and possibly cruciate damage as well (it did make me cry when she pushed on my shin as it hurt so much) so I'm pretty much stuffed at the moment. Hence looking into all possible options to get it sorted.
18/06/05 Injured trampolining
Fixed Flexion 20-90 deg until...
01/09/05 lateral meniscectomy (40%)
09/06/06 Patella tendon aclr
09/09/06 Back on the tramp (carefully)
10 years on and still going strong
!!Stop twisting when you land or it hurts!!

Offline tiggs

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2005, 06:35:41 PM »
Hi to all of you here,

The NHS has to be worked at !!! I too have ad numerous problems and have since had 4 different surgery,s. 1 x spinal op found by accident whilst looking at my knee problems! that was lucky and 2 ACL,s  1 x screw removal 1 x MCL, PCL, POL ACL readjustment. All of this was hard work as I was not prepared to sit and wait for years. You must keep in touch with your OS secretary they are your life line ! they are very good and very helpfull, I owuld phone every week and got to be on 1st name terms they dont forget you then plus I would tell them when something bad had happened to me and to please make my OS aware, which they did. In the end I made a private appointment with my OS and when I got there he just knew that I shouldn,t of had to do this but I sat infront of him and asked him when he last had a holiday ,because I couldn,t as was uninsurable to go abroad, work was causing problems as I didn,t know how much longer I could last for.

He appologised and said that I shouldn,t be in this situation and promised to have me in as quickly as possible, £150 this cost me but 2 weeks later I had my 1st op and the ball has continued to keep rolling ever since !!

So dont give up, remind them of who you are, tell them about the patient charter and the promises it made, write to the chief executive of the NHS and ask why this is happening to you.

Good luck to you all.

Tiggs   :D
Age 37,
bouncy castle injury at ripe old age of 24 !! 1992 ?
ACL recon x 1 failed screw came out ! 03
Arthroscopy† 04
ACL recon patella version x1 ok still not great .04
mcl, pcl, pol, recon in 1 weeks time !!† may 05
Had op may 05 Mcl, pcl, acl, pol all doing well not so sure about LCL !