Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Meniscus repair questions?  (Read 2559 times)

Offline desmoface

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Meniscus repair questions?
« on: July 29, 2005, 02:58:19 PM »
Hi, my name is Steve, I'm in Mentor (Cleveland), Ohio (if anyone knows of any good os's near me I'd sure appreciate hearing about them).  I think I may have torn my meniscus as thats what my symptoms are pointing to. 

Anticipating that I will have to have surgery, how long does it normally take before one can get around on crutches.  My big concern is that I will be out of work for a long time.  I've heard of people being on their feet and walking 2 days after surgery to having to use crutches with no weight bearing for 6 weeks.

My job is just sitting behind a desk for the most part so I could come to work and prop my leg up on my desk if need be.  Problem is I'm a one man office (self-employed) so I can't be out of my office for an extended period of time.  Any idea how long it would be before I'd be able to at least hobble my way back to my office?  I understand that every situation is different but are people usually bed ridden for weeks after surgery for a torn meniscus?  Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steve Z

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
Re: Meniscus repair questions?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 03:16:36 PM »
I'm not the famillar with Ohio, but out in Cinncinatti there are some really good OS such as Frank Noyes through the Cinncinatti Sports medicine center.  He is very good and i believe up to date on the current treatments regarding meniscus tears. 

1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline morgan515046

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 04:50:12 PM »
Hi Steve, I had meniscus surgery 3.5 weeks ago. I had the torn part taken out and smoothed over. (menisectomy) My OS told me that i would be on crutches anywhere from 2 to 7 day, but I was on them for 2 weeks. It all depends on you. For a meniscal repair the protocol is quite different, usually (depending on OS) your NWB for 4 to 6 weeks, ( I was told if it was repaired 2 to 4 weeks) OS's usually try and repair it, because it can lead to arthritis (sp?) down the road. I'm not sure about the work part because I don't work, I'm 14 ;) But I imagine if its just sitting and nothing with a lot of moving that it would be ok. I would find an OS, probably the one that Soccergirl suggested, he's listed on this website and knows alot of stuff about meniscal injuries. Good luck, let me know how everything goes when you find an OS!!

Morgan
*14 years old*

3/29/05 Track hurdle incident
7/6/05 surgery for menisectomy
8/9/05 Possible RSD???
10/11/05 Patella Tendonitis from not rehabing all the way.

VOLLEYBALL ROCKS!!!

Offline shiningwaters

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 08:19:45 PM »
I am self-employed as well. I had a medial meniscus rupture which was removed with an ACL/PCL reconstruction.  That's quite a bit more than you will experience.  In a more recent surgery to reconstruct the posterior corner the first two weeks my body was too busy dealing with the surgery for my mind to be clear, even off the pain meds.  It was  difficult to sit for more than an hour at a desk with the leg up by the third week. You can work an hour, rest and put your leg up and ice it, and try another hour later on.  At the 4th week I am beginning to catch up and tie all the loose strings together.  If I can stay out of surgery for another 2 weeks (6 weeks post op) I might even make some money again.  It is slow!!  You may recovery more quickly than I do.  I'm in the over 40 active, but pretty far from fit group.  I think it's important to keep your recovery and work at a level where you consistantly improve. Avoid pushing it one day and paying for 3 days to compensate! 

Best of Luck

Annie
2/05 Dislocated rt knee in fall
3/11 ACL/PCL, medial meniscus rupture removed
7/11 Posterior Corner Reconstruction, post op foot drop, ACL disintegrated.
Regain motion in right foot
2/06 Medial Collateral reconstruction---3/24 Failed
5/12 ACL MCL reconstruction (second round for both)

Offline desmoface

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 08:29:36 PM »
Wow, you guys are great.  Thanks for all the replies...I found some information on the Dr I am seeing, he appears to be the real deal:

http://universityorthopaedicsonline.com/Victoroffbrianbio_n.htm

Oh well, I'm horrifed.  Last time I was under a general anasthetic was when I had 4 teefs pulled when I was a kid.  I remember being way nauseated..but I want a general if I need surgery. I don't want to know whats going on..I want to go to sleep and wake up in recovery..Im such a sissy LOL..Thanks again.

Steve

Offline cjones

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 08:51:22 PM »
I had a meniscus repair and LR done in Jan.  Originally I was scheduled for the repair only.  I had surgery on Friday and was told I could return to work on Monday.  Since they also did the LR I was slowed down.  I was out of work for 5 weeks.  That was only because I work for a government defense contractor and I had to be cleared with the hospital on site.  I "walked" the few steps from the wheelchair to the car when I was released after surgery with no crutches.  Once the moriphine wore off I had to use crutches, I couldn't handle the pain.  Like I said, having the LR made things worse. 

Good Luck!!

Offline desmoface

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 08:52:55 PM »
Hi CJ, thanks for the reply.  What caused you to have to have the lateral release? Was it from an injury?  Thanks again?

Steve

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2005, 10:34:38 PM »
Hi Steve,
  As you said, your OS seems to be the real deal and he is young and good looking!  I am sure that played a large part in your decision to let him do the surgery!!  ;D  Ask them to give you some thing for the nausea.  I hate going under GA and actually prefer to stay awake and watch.  But I am strange!  :)  Best of luck with the surgery!

Take care,
Patty

Offline desmoface

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2005, 10:37:16 PM »
Hi Patty, this is the first time I smiled in a while; after reading your post  :)

I assure you his looks have nothing to do with my going to him LOL..All I care about is that he knows what he's doing...Although my wife may not mind his looks LOL...Thanks again for the encouragement.

STeve

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2005, 10:46:36 PM »
Hi Steve,
   Glad I could make you smile.  Let your wife know that if she needs someone to sit in the waiting room with her while you are having surgery, I am available.  And I would be real helpful when the OS comes in to discuss your surgery, I speak knee-ese!  Let us know what you find out and what you decide to have done.

Take care,
Patty

Offline cjones

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2005, 10:59:52 PM »
Hey Steve,

Patty is right, a cute doc is a big plus!!  I had the LR because my doc said I had maltracking.  I don't think it was the best choice for me but it is done and I have to deal with it.  With my age, 26, a repair was probably the best thing for me. All docs say something different so just go by what your doc says for recovery.  This is a great place to get support.

Offline desmoface

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2005, 01:56:40 AM »
Hi Patty and CJ, thanks again for the advice.  Actually, my wife just started a new job and can't take any time off..believe it or not my Mother will probably take me...hopefully that works out ok...no kids here so its just me and my wife..

Cj, I did see some of your posts and I'm very sorry to hear about your problems..this is what scares me the most...going in for something relatively easy and then having a disaster..of course I'm sure the doc's going to tell me that he's not sure what he's going to find once he gets into the knee and he will do what he thinks is in my best interest..Which I guess is good, I don't want a second surgery..

I would have to guess that my knees are in good shape, never had any problems with them before this although I've been weight training/powerlifting for at least 20 years so maybe he'll find that my knees are a mess...Although I doubt it because I've never had any pain in my knees before...

Oh well...thanks again for all the advice.

Steve

Offline cjones

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2005, 04:17:59 AM »
Have you gone for an MRI or any test yet?  My MRI was clear for a tear but I had a small one.  My doc mentioned the maltracking but said it wasn't really an issue but if he noticed it was once inside he would fix it.  I thought that was great until I woke up.  From posting on here I found out it was a LR.  My suggestion is find out exactly what the OS wants to do and research it.  I gave my OS permission to do whatever needed to be done to fix my knee.  If I need another surgery in the future I want to know exactly what will be done, what might be done and have everything cleared.  I don't want to wake up with any more surprises.  Good Luck and keep us posted.

cholt

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2005, 04:43:50 AM »
Hi, my name is Cindy.  I had a partial medial meniscus tear removed, not repaired, on my Right knee on 5/11/05.  I was walking a mile within a month.  I also have sever osteoarthritis and other problems with the knee and it went real well.  Recuped pretty fast.  Good Luck!  Cindy

Offline morgan515046

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Website
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2005, 04:46:33 AM »
Hi Steve, Just wanted to wish you luck with your surgery!!

Sending hugs your way..................

Morgan
*14 years old*

3/29/05 Track hurdle incident
7/6/05 surgery for menisectomy
8/9/05 Possible RSD???
10/11/05 Patella Tendonitis from not rehabing all the way.

VOLLEYBALL ROCKS!!!