Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: tibial (bone) plateau transplant ..anyone had one???  (Read 2117 times)

Offline willjen62

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • split personality..sometimes me,, sometimes my son
tibial (bone) plateau transplant ..anyone had one???
« on: July 29, 2005, 02:11:04 PM »
my son who is 18 had a fresh donor transplant done on the tibial plateau...we were told it was very rarely done...anything I have found  so far on the board is quite dated....he will be one year NWB... he will be getting a long leg 90 degree lock at the ankle brace to wear for the year...would love to hear fom someone haveing been through the year NWB..thanks
Willjen62
Worried mother of son with knee difficulties at a young age....no wonder I'm turning grey! My son is 18 and is sharing my interest in this web site...thank you for your support and concern..much appreciated~

Scope
April 2001

Tibial Plateau Transplant
Oats Procedure
May 26 2005

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Re: tibial (bone) plateau transplant ..anyone had one???
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 07:05:33 PM »
I havent personally known of anybody that has had this done but my OS mentioned it to me as a possibility for the future.  He also said that it isnt done much but more and more doctors are trying it now.  I havent really been able to get too much information on the exact procedure either.  I have heard that since the tibial plateau is hard to access they go in from underneath the bone (drill from below the defect down the tibia).  Is that they way they did your sons?  1 year NWB...wow!  Thats a mighty long time!
I would love to hear about how they did the procedure, what made them decide to go ahead with it and about how your son is managing.   
Please keep us posted. Hope your son is feeling well.
Kathy
right knee oats 12/03 scope autograft
right knee revision oats 6/04 open autograft
loa, plica excision, chondroplasty 12/04
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja

Offline willjen62

• Regular Poster
  • split personality..sometimes me,, sometimes my son
Re: tibial (bone) plateau transplant ..anyone had one???
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2005, 01:38:00 PM »
Hi Kathy
I'm not sure about the way they did the drilling..he has about a six inch scar down the front of his knee...he was in a fair amount of pain..doing stairs was a killer and night time with the aching knee..which depended on what he did during the day was the deciding factor. He felt he couldn't live with it the way it was and decided to have the surgery done..so far so good. He says there is no pain...he has been doing phyiso three days a week and has just started the stationary air bike...he will be in the pool on Monday. He hasn't got the brace yet but while we were at the hospital, we met a young man that had a simular surgery and he had the same brace. He said it was amazing. He said you could do anything but run or jump. It will be interesting to see how that goes. So you are deciding what to do? I understand there are very few doctors that do this kind of thing...our doctor was explaining the defect to his teaching doctors and did say they rarely do this surgery as the defect has to be a certain size..it has to be a small defect...other than that..I don't know.....where are you from? We are in Ontario Canada..we had the surgery done in Toronto. That is a five hour drive for us...we have been there three times now since the surgery and have another appointment in september.We have to go to Ottawa to pick up the brace on Aug 12  Youre right..I haven't found a lot of information either...I let you know if I do...Thanks for your post
Anna   Marie
Worried mother of son with knee difficulties at a young age....no wonder I'm turning grey! My son is 18 and is sharing my interest in this web site...thank you for your support and concern..much appreciated~

Scope
April 2001

Tibial Plateau Transplant
Oats Procedure
May 26 2005

support