Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Please help my aching knee...I can't walk at the moment.  (Read 1255 times)

Offline macnmy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Please help my aching knee...I can't walk at the moment.
« on: July 28, 2005, 08:34:20 PM »
It all started last Friday after using my orbital type exercising machine.  I usually experience some knee pain while exercising my so I thought nothing of it.  The pain always stops once I finish.  Well, this time is much different.  I woke up the next day with an aching knee.  I tried streching but could only get a little past 90deg before the pain was too much.  Since then I've tried to keep my leg straight and stay off of it.  Since then I've tried to find out what going wrong.  I appears that the pain is coming from the ACL area along with the lateral and medial meniscus areas.  I can't put any significant pressure on my knee and even get a sharp pain in the ACL area when trying to get up or even moving in a wrong position while laying down.   I've been hoping that the pain would subside a little before seeing an OS but nothing has changed in the last week.  Should I just deal with the pain and go see an OS now?  I can barely move as it is.  Any ideas as to what I have? 

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Please help my aching knee...I can't walk at the moment.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 08:38:03 PM »
Go see a doc a OS specialized on knees, if your situation in unbareable go to ER.
Meanwhile RICE (rest,ice,compress and elevate).
Don't know what's wrong. Have you had any injury earlier ?
Good luck to you !!

Hugs nettan  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline morgan515046

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 08:54:14 PM »
I agree with Nettan, Go see an OS or go to the ER, meanwhile ice, ice, ice!! good luck

Morgan
*14 years old*

3/29/05 Track hurdle incident
7/6/05 surgery for menisectomy
8/9/05 Possible RSD???
10/11/05 Patella Tendonitis from not rehabing all the way.

VOLLEYBALL ROCKS!!!

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 09:25:08 PM »
I agree also.  See your OS  do not delay.  RICE as much as you can.

HUGs

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline macnmy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 09:35:57 PM »
Thanks for all the quick responses. 

I did have an injury to that knee over 22yrs ago playing tackle football.  It hurt for a day or so but I could always walk on it and for a few days after I noticed that it would give out but not enough for me to fall down.  In the last 5 or so years is when I noticed it hurting during exercise. 

I'll go to an OS as everyone has suggested to get it checked further.   

Offline macnmy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 03:31:30 AM »
It's been almost 3 weeks now and I still can't walk.  At least the sharp jolting pain I was experiencing has not shown up for the last 4 days.  I finally got to an OS a few days ago.  A few x-rays didn't show anything wrong.  I go back again next week and he says I'll need an MRI if there is no improvement.  He advised me to do some light stretching.  I can now slowly bend my leg without pain but get a slight pain when straightening it (while I'm laying down).  I also can't do a leg extension while sitting.  Still not sure what's wrong.  Any ideas?

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 02:07:01 PM »
Had he no clue at all ? He most have thought about something. I think this Mri would be good for you.
Hope anything will be shown at it, if you have it.
Have no clue at all, but wish I had.Keep us posted please !!

Hugs Nettan  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Durga

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2005, 06:13:40 PM »
When I initially tore my cartilage, my flexibility got less and less until I could not bend past 90 degrees...Sounds like a tear to me, but definitely have an MRI. 

Offline Lulubelle

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2005, 09:43:38 PM »
Hey,

I hope you get to the bottom of this. An MRI should clear it up but you might need an arthroscopy for furthur exploratory.

The fact that you had a previous injury (even if it was 22 years ago) might indicate cartilage damage. It may well be the case that the cartilage has been wearing away over time.

On the other hand the knee giving way is a common symptom of ACL damage. You may have partially torn or sprained the ACL years ago and the damage has become worse over time.

Best of luck, I hope all goes well

Lulubelle
Torn right ACL - May 14th 2005
ACL Recon - August 2nd 2005