Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ride my motorcycle...  (Read 4553 times)

Offline motomama

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ride my motorcycle...
« on: July 28, 2005, 05:38:00 PM »
I am scheduled for total knee replacement 8/31, and have an event scheduled 2 weeks later where I will need to ride my motorcycle.. what are the chances of that happening?  it's my right knee, so I won't be shifting with with that leg, just braking.. I'm 45 years young..and have had 5 previous surgeries on that knee, so am familiar with recup routine..

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: ride my motorcycle...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 06:06:54 PM »
You should really ask your doc about it. I haven't done a TKR but I have had different surgeries and I doubt anyone would recommend this at all. You haven't go the strenght back to break yet and maybe also your surgery can be a failure caused by this. I would see you as a danger in the traffic not beeing able to break safely.
Wish you good luck with your upcoming surgery.

Hugs Nettan  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 06:11:54 PM »
Scroll down to the arthritis section and check under TKR.  From what I have read (I need a TKR soon) your chances are very poor to be able to ride 2 weeks after the TKR.  When in doubt ask your OS.

Good luck with your TKR!

HUGs

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline ladybiker

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 11:28:39 PM »
Hello there:

I would not count on riding that soon after your surgery.  I am not an expert on being the driver but I am the passenger on our bike.  I fell off our bike and that is how I injured my knee.(awaiting surgery)  My hubby has bad knees as well and has some trouble some times with things he has to do to just to move the bike etc.......  Anyways I dont want to be a downer for you but I would sure check with Dr. before attempting any riding that soon after.

Take care hope you are able to at least ride until then, we are having alot of rain here right now.  But hey if you waited for the rain to stop you would never ride. LOL!!

Let us know how you make out.

Janice
Love to ride!!!

Offline Durden

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
    • G land
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 01:02:36 AM »
after a tkr, there is no chance on god's green earth that you will be on your bike that quickly.  im not even sure you'll be weight bearing even a little bit after 2 weeks.  it sounds dangerous too, as it's your right leg, you have to put weight on it while you flip the kickstand down on the leftside with your other leg.  it would be devstating indeed if your knee gave out at that time and the bike fell right on top of it...*shudder*

just play it safe and stay away from the motorbike for a while :)    its hard...(i cant even ride mine right now...my shifting foot is paralyzed  >:()  but you will be able to do it sometime again soon, so take care recovering before you go cruising
"Sadness and nostalgia for an idealized and nonexistant past."

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 23
  • From the Land of OZ
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 03:58:37 AM »
I had a tkr in January this year and I can say you will not be ready to ride at 2 weeks. I ride sport bikes and rode for the first time at 10 weeks post op. I could have done it at the 7-8 week post op mark but wanted more quad strength for the weight of the bike. TKR surgery is major surgery and takes time to get your strength back, not to mention the brutal rehab, pain, swelling and stiffness. Even though I had 122 flexion 2 weeks post op, there was no way to handle a bike that early. Give your leg some time to heal. I've had 8 surgeries to this knee and leg and the TKR is the most brutal to recover from. Patience is a must when having a TKR.

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions

Offline RakhshandaE

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 06:11:08 PM »
Hi, I also ride a motorcycle and I can tell you from experience you might be able to technically ride but a few things to think about.  Do you want this surgery to be a success, (stay off the bike), do you really think you could support the bike if the weight shifted to the TKR side (stay off the bike), do you want to be able to ride in the future (stay off the bike), do you want to be able to walk the rest of your life and be relatively pain free (stay off the bike).  I think you get the message by now.  Another big consideration is getting on the bike, at two weeks post opp you will not have very good ROM and just getting on can be a trick.  When I would ride behind hubby and my ROM wasn't good he would have to pick me up and sit me on the bike. (dumb me).  Another thing to think about is at 2wks post you will probably still be on some pain meds and even driving a car with them is not recommended so the bike would be totally out of the question with the meds.  If the bike event is so important reschedule your TKR for after it is over.  Your success and health is worth a lot more than any event you could ever participate in.  Good Luck and give yourself plenty of time to heal you future depends on it.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 04:19:42 AM by RakhshandaE »
Rakshanda
10 surgeries 5 on Left 5 on Right in last 11 years
2LR, 3VMO, TTT, Multiple Meniscus repairs and partial removals, 3 Patella Microfractures 1 Femoral Microfracture, multiple debraiding and tendon repairs. Most recent surgery 10/7/05. Will have either TKR or OATS in 05 for 4cm lPat. leison

Offline Alias

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 04:39:12 AM »
I highly doubt you would be able to ride your bike 2 weeks after a TKR.  I also ride and I had surgery on June 14.   I had a TTT, a VMO advancement and a lateral release.  I wish I could ride but I have decided that it's best for me to just wait until next year.  My surgery was also on my right knee and I couldn't even imagine what would happen if I put too much weight on my leg by trying to support the bike.

I feel your pain about not possibly being able to ride for a while but a healthier leg makes it worth the wait.

Take Care,

Roxy
1986- lateral release rk
1988- cartilage repair rk
2004- plica removal rk
June 14, 2005- TTT, VMO advancement and lateral release rk
http://spaces.msn.com/members/RoxJones/

Offline Charliemouse

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2005, 03:40:38 PM »
My bike is sitting chained up in the car park and that's where it's staying until I'm sure I have the strengh to ride it..(I'm not up for tkr I have ligament an meniscus damage but I know I can't ride). Is it worth the possible damage to your knee and of course the possible damage to your bike when you drop it.
OK so the bike is relatively easy to fix but your knee isn't don't do it. Hey I know it's not what you want to hear but I think you already knew that didn't you?
18/06/05 Injured trampolining
Fixed Flexion 20-90 deg until...
01/09/05 lateral meniscectomy (40%)
09/06/06 Patella tendon aclr
09/09/06 Back on the tramp (carefully)
10 years on and still going strong
!!Stop twisting when you land or it hurts!!