Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Complex tear posterior horn of Meniscus  (Read 1488 times)

Offline Want2binVegas

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Complex tear posterior horn of Meniscus
« on: July 28, 2005, 02:35:00 AM »
I was just diagnosed with the above.  Yikes!  Didn't even know what a meniscus was   :-[  Anyway, doctor recommended physical therapy to see if that would alleviate pain.  I'm hesitant to start any bending, etc. because I'm scheduled to go to Vegas in 3 weeks, so I put off therapy until I come back.

I want to enjoy this vacation before facing therapy and possible surgery....yikes!    Any suggestions and/or hints?

Thanks!

Offline Ronxski

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
Re: Complex tear posterior horn of Meniscus
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 04:00:06 AM »
Sounds like they wanted to strengthen the muscles around the knee for now so you won't be in as much pain until you have surgery. I think you should have at least tried therapy or talked to them about why you put it off . To see what they say. Otherwise you may have some regrets...

If you don't go, you might want to ask them if putting an ACE wrap around the knee and up the thigh for support is a good thing. I did that until I had my surgery. Mine was a small tear so I wonder how big yours is with a complex one?

If yours can be repaired instead of having it trimmed, but not likely given the location it doesn't have good blood supply and can't heal on it's own.
You don't want it to get worse and then end up with little or no cartilage left and be bone on bone. Cause the next step is arthritis.

Hope you make a wise choice. Ron

partial meniscus removal, posterior horn of medial meniscus tear,horizontal cleavage type. Dec. O4
Age 56
back to cross country skiing and biking.

Offline Boydy

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 06:54:02 AM »
Hi, I had the same op as you are going to have. Mine was a complex tear  as well. I did the same thing, went on a holiday first (to Thailand). I did do some therapy before I left but, Mainly just gym work, physio mainly just gave me laser to try to help with the ROM. I don't recommend getting stuck into gym though, just basic leg presses and hamstring curls. Even the treadmill was too much. My physio strapped my knee for support to go on holiday and that helped tremendously, she also gave me an elastic support bandage to put on if I was to do a lot of walking.  I found that while I was away my leg actually felt better most days, because we were in motels with elevators (no stairs to have to walk up and down) and I wasn't carrying heavy loads of washing or heavy bags of groceries. Or standing for hours preparing meals.etc.
Plenty of lazing beside the pool, daily Thai massages ($7 Aus for an hour)  ;D.  So I would recommend anyone having knee problems, go on a holiday before you have surgery.  8)
Just make sure you win lots of $dough$ in vegas, make the trip worthwhile !! Have fun , and keep that knee supported and you should be OK, PS (my OS told me I wouldn't do my leg any harm by waiting and doing my holiday first).  GOOD LUCK
Boydy
Arthroscope to repair meniscus tear, 10/04
Arthroscope for Lateral Release & repair another medial meniscal tear, 2/05
"Time heals all wounds"
Gosh I sure hope so !!

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 10:07:02 PM »
Hi Want2,
   I am sorry to hear that you have torn your meniscus.  But I am much more worried that you want to go to Vegas!!!   ;D  Sorry, had to get that in there.  I live in Nevada and can't understand why anyone would voluntarily go to Vegas!!  :)
   OK, back to the knee problem.  I have torn my meniscus in both knees many times.  PT has never helped and I have always ended up having a menisectomy.  However I am a firm believer in trying PT before going any further with something like surgery.  I probably would have  started the therapy before vacation just to see if it would help.  If you felt like it was making the knee worse or more painful you could always discontinue until after your vacation.  I would be careful with my activities, and never, ever split a pair of kings!!!  :)  Good luck, enjoy your vacation and thank you for supporting the econlmy of our great state!!

Patty

Offline Want2binVegas

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2005, 05:34:32 PM »

[color=Purple]Thanks for the input guys!   :)     So far so good.....my knee has been cooperating for about 10 days now---no swelling, no pain, keeping fingers crossed!!!  [/color]

Offline morgan515046

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Website
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2005, 08:27:42 PM »
That's great that your not having any pain. Hope ya continue to have a great time!!

Morgan
*14 years old*

3/29/05 Track hurdle incident
7/6/05 surgery for menisectomy
8/9/05 Possible RSD???
10/11/05 Patella Tendonitis from not rehabing all the way.

VOLLEYBALL ROCKS!!!