Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Do I work thru the pain??  (Read 3182 times)

Offline ladybiker

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Do I work thru the pain??
« on: July 28, 2005, 01:46:10 AM »
Hi there:

I just have a question for anyone who has gone to gym before surgery.  I am going to the gym and working on various machines.  The OS wants me to build up my Hamstring and Quads before I have surgery.(ACL repair or reconstruction)  I am going to have a brace made but dont have it yet. I am wondering if anyone has gone to the gym and just worked thru the pain.  My weight on the machines dont seem to heavy and I dont think I would get any benifit if I lowered it.  I also use the treadmill an eliptical.

Anyways if anyone has some input on this I would really appreciate it.

Take care
Janice
Love to ride!!!

Offline sharon_g

• Regular Poster
Re: Do I work thru the pain??
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 02:01:12 AM »
I didn't.  I don't think aggrevating the joint is a good idea.  I would talk to your physical therapist or doctor before you just muscle through it, because, depending on how complicated your injury is, it might make something worse.

I would do what I can without too much pain/ achiness.

I am healing fine post ACL, and my legs were super weak before the surgery (due to a year of not being able to do anything due to pain in the knee).  I was in great shape before my accident, and I had wasted away to nothing, because my leg couldn't tolerate it.

sharon

R TPFX-Type I/II-No Surgery,stress fracture - 01/04
Scope 05/04- meniscus cleanup,femur,tibia and patella cartilage shaving, femoral cartilage degeneration
MCL Strain (Healed Long)
ACL hamstring reconstruction (healed long) - 4/21/05

Offline TurboSi

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 06:07:42 AM »
I had to work 5 months before I could get my miniscus tear fixed. The end result was I suffered bone bruising and a second operation. My advice would be if you feel any pain then you probably shouldn't be doing it.

Offline sparkle999

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 09:23:09 AM »
Hi
I am awaitimg a recon too and have been to physio for the last few months.
When I was first cleared to go back to the gym, the advice was just 3 mins bike, 4 mins walking treadmill and 3 mins elliptical. My PT did not want me to work through the pain AT ALL. Her advice was that if strengthening hurt more than muscle ache it was doing more damage.

I now do 20mins elliptical, 15 mins bike and 10 mins hill walk. This was built up over around 6 weeks and now the whole lot is pain free.

Also I do leg press, only 16 kg with the bad knee otherwise it hurts. Do NOT do leg extensions. Apart from that I do step up and downs, and side step up and downs.

So far I am really pleased with my fitness and mobility. I go to the gym 5 days a week usually and though it's boring I feel loads better.
35 y/o
ACL rupture
loose body under kneecap
impaction fractures
injury 19th march 2005
scope 9th may
recon 24th october 05

Offline sportychic

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 09:53:12 AM »
I know it sounds silly, but we have pain for a reason, its telling us to STOP.   Pain can be from swelling and swelling can lead to more pain, so working through the pain will probably make it worse.  I know you just want to get there, but slow and steady wins the race.  Just doing those exercises are re-training muscles that haven't been used for a while, so it is doing your muscles good even at a lower weight.

ACL April 05
Infection May 05
Manipulation June 05
Still on Crutches
?RSD

Offline Alla

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 11:28:13 AM »
I agree with sporty chick... It hurts for a reason.... check with your PT as to what you should be doing.  I didnt do any pre op work at the Gym.... been a battle after the op to get muscle back, but some people tell me they had that even when they did all the pre op work in the gym. 

Alla
Torn ACL December 04
ACL Reco May 05
Cleared to return to sport May 06

Offline ladybiker

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 11:46:27 PM »
Thanks everyone for your great advice.  I just had one more question.  does anyone wear a brace during their work out?,  did it help?,  was it uncomfortable???  OOPS I guess that was more than one.

Thanks for being so patient with me and my questions but this is a first for me and am not to sure what to expect.  I have not been sent for PT and my OS did not say anything about this.  He just said to keep going to the gym and to work on my Quards and Hamstring.

Thanks again and take care,

Janice
Love to ride!!!

Offline sparkle999

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 11:56:11 PM »
I have never worn a brace. For gym work all the motion is 'in line' and therefore does not need the ACL which is to do with rotation. My OS suggests light support for say walking on uneven ground, but generally does not like braces as they reduce muscle strength.

Hope this helps
XX
35 y/o
ACL rupture
loose body under kneecap
impaction fractures
injury 19th march 2005
scope 9th may
recon 24th october 05

Offline My Sister Sam

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2005, 12:01:44 AM »
I wear a DonJoy brace every time I go to PT. My patella subluxes, and though the brace isn't able to keep my patella in its groove, it does help me feel more steady and secure. I was floundering, gaining very little strength for what seemed like ages. My OS gave me the brace, I returned to PT and have made steady strength gains since. I'm grateful for it, but I know everyone has their own personal experience.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 10:47:28 PM by My Sister Sam »
'70 Auto accident - Salter Harris IV fracture distal femoral epiphysis - R knee
'71 R - Bony Bar Resection femoral epiphysis
'78 L - Epiphysiodesis
'79 R - Distal Femoral Osteotomy/LR
'04 R - TTT/Medial Reefing 
'05 R - Trochleoplasty/Medial Reefing/TTT
'05 R - AIR/LOA
'07 R - TKA

Offline ladybiker

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2005, 06:42:03 PM »
Hello there again:

Thanks again for the information.  I have decided or rather DH decided that I needed to take a couple of days off from the gym as he doesnt think I am giving the knee time to recouperate from each work out.  I will try this and then when I go back I will definetly try some of your ideas that you have given me.

Just wondered does anyones hip really bother them since they injured their knee.  Mine has never bothered me until about six months after I fell and injured the knee?

Take care have a great day everyone.

Janice
Love to ride!!!

Offline raquetball1

• Forum Faithful
  • RACQUETBALL--WALL TO WALL--INSANITY
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2005, 10:15:37 PM »
Hello Janice.  Hip could be hurting if you have subconsciously adjusted your gait to compensate for acl injury.  Not an unusual occurrence with any leg injury.  As said by other posters, no brace pre-op.  You seem to be a person used to working out, so your muscles should be in good enough shape to keep your leg from buckling/collapsing when just walking around...just walk carefully.  "In line" or closed chain exercises should not hurt your knee.  You say you are working on quad and hamstring, but not what machines you are using and which one(s) is/are bothering your knee.  You should safely be able to do sitting hamstring curls and leg presses, hip abduction and adduction, toe-ups on leg press machine and wall slides (aided squats).  If any of listed machines give you pain in knee joint, make sure you have yourself properly aligned on the machines. For instance, if your legs are not bent at ninety degrees (no less, no more) and only shoulder width apart on leg press, it WILL hurt knee.  Properly placed, it won't if all you are dealing with is acl injury.  Sitting hamstring curls, while requiring more reps and weight to achieve benefits of prone hamstring curls, require less careful placement/positioning to avoid stress on knee.  As far as treadmill goes, you're better off getting on a "real" "soft-surfaced" track and just walking it than risking an accidental sudden stop on treadmill.  PT also had me doing proprioception (one-legged balance) routines pre-op, eg standing on injured leg and throwing a weighted ball against a tramp backboard.

If you have good insurance coverage, check out whether they would cover one to two months PT pre-op if OS is willing to order it.  Like my PT said to me, if you could just go to a gym and do it all yourself without monitoring for proper weight and position and proper exercises, she'd be out of a job. PT got my leg in good enough shape pre-op, that after six months post-op, two times  a week PT, I was able to return to the racquetball court, albeit not at full tilt, without a brace and they were dealing with a 51 year old who never touched an exercise machine before this particular injury. 

Best of luck to you Janice.

autopatellar acl recon Nov. 2004 at age 51

Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech.

Offline amy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2005, 11:36:02 PM »
Did your os say why he won't send you for PT?  Both my ortho and PT say that it is ok to feel some fatigue and stretching but you should never feel pain as a result of PT or exercises.
6/2004 partial lateral meniscus removal and microfracture left knee
7/13/05  open lateral release, medial plication, spur removal right knee
12/06  re do proximal realignment right knee (scar tissue formed ) 5 days post op - fell and fractured elbow
08/2009 - feeling good so far work 50 hrs a week

Offline ladybiker

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2005, 02:52:40 AM »
Hi:

Just thought I would write back quickly.  Thanks for all the info about the excersing.  I am doing the sitting hamstring curls and I think by reading all of the posts here I was just pushing to hard.  I will calm it down a little when I go back.  Thanks for all the other ideas I will sure try to use them.

The reason for the brace is because of my job.  I walk between 11 and 12 Km. everyday.  The ground I walk on is very hilly, rocky and uneven.  I slipped a few times and the pain was just incredible so he wants me to wear this especially at work.  Anyways I had better go as DH is waiting on me.  THanks again for all the advise.  Amy no Pt as my ins. does not cover it.

Take care,

Janice
Love to ride!!!

Offline sparkle999

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2005, 10:49:12 AM »
yes, wear a brace at work!!! All that slipping and pain(or even just a bit) could be undoing your good work resting/working out. Good luck to you. We'll compare stories when the recons are done , no doubt.
xx
35 y/o
ACL rupture
loose body under kneecap
impaction fractures
injury 19th march 2005
scope 9th may
recon 24th october 05

Offline sharon_g

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2005, 12:04:17 AM »
No PT??  That makes things very difficult.  I was in PT for about 6 months before my injury and have been fully since.

Does you insurance cover post ACL surgery - it is very important.

If you don't have any PT support - keep asking the questions and we will do what we can to help you.  The PT makes all the difference in the world post surgery. 

Let us know
sharon
R TPFX-Type I/II-No Surgery,stress fracture - 01/04
Scope 05/04- meniscus cleanup,femur,tibia and patella cartilage shaving, femoral cartilage degeneration
MCL Strain (Healed Long)
ACL hamstring reconstruction (healed long) - 4/21/05