Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Dislocated Patella  (Read 712 times)

Offline Jennifer Robinson

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Dislocated Patella
« on: July 27, 2005, 10:37:56 PM »
Hi! I'm new here and could use your help. I have dislocated my left patella 3 times. The last one being on 7/18. The first two times it happened there was force behind it. The last time I was just standing still not moving an inch when my knee dislocated & I went down....and to the hospital. I have seen an orthopedic dr who said after looking at my x-rays (no bones chipped) and my mri (nothing but torn muscles) that I do not need surgery. I find this strange since every time this happens I'm always told 'the next time this happens you will have to have surgery'. I feel that if I go through physical thepary it will get better but that it will happen again. He also told me that with surgery it would reduce the chances of it happening by about 80%-which right now sounds really good!

Just wanted some feedback from anyone that this has happened to.
Thanks!!!!
Jennifer  :)
dislocated left patella 91, 2000, 2005. dislocated right patella 2001.

Offline JenSinclair

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Canis meus id comedit.
Re: Dislocated Patella
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 10:44:04 PM »
Hey, Jennifer.  I dislocated back in January.  I didn't go to the ER or anything (it happened while I was coaching basketball, and I had too much to do that evening).  I just rammed it back in myself.  Two weeks later I went to see my OS (orthopaedic surgeon).  He recommended surgery but said that he'd let me get through the school year first.  I did some pre-op PT, but I had almost constant subluxation by the end of the year.  I had a proximal and distal patellar realignment (aka "LR/TTT") almost 6 weeks ago...the surgeon says I'll need to have the other one done too.

If you're not happy with the treatment you're getting, consider seeking a second opinion.

Best,
Jen
LR/TTT 3 August 2006, RK
LR/TTT 16 June 2005, LK
CPMs are evil.

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Dislocated Patella
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 10:56:07 PM »
Hi Jennifer,
   Welcome to the group, sorry you have to be here.  I have had hundreds of dislocations and after putting it off for 20 years, finally had surgery.  I would definitely give PT a try before anything else.  And like Jen recommended, get another opinion.  It is definitely something that you want to get fixed as each dislocation does a lot of irreparable damage to your knee.  Good luck with PT and let us know how you are doing!

Patty

support