Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: dead guys acl?!?!?!  (Read 2033 times)

Offline xXxpunkrockerxXx

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
    • My xanga site
dead guys acl?!?!?!
« on: July 27, 2005, 12:23:02 AM »
well i had my os appointment today. it didn't go like i wanted it to  ::) but of course that is how it is sometimes. apparently not only do i have a torn medial meniscus but also a torn acl!!!  >:( i go in for surgery aug. 12th. and the os said that if my acl does need to be repaired then he has to use one of a cadaver... :o wow. thats a bit freaky if  may say so. slightly nervous about the surgery but my best bud is going there. and if i need to stay over well..we'll find a way to hide her until the nurse leaves.  ;) so i am a little worried about this acl any advice anyone?? and he told me NO SOCCER OR SPORTS for at least six months..  :o  >:(   :'( i about had a siezure on him! well any advice or thoughts would be nice thanks a bunch
~hugsy~
!mo!   :-*
*15 y.o*
4/05 Torn Medial Menicus
6/05 Torn Acl

Please..just let me get back to my soccer and softball!!

Offline tatasalad

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: dead guys acl?!?!?!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 03:14:02 PM »
Hey xXxpunkrockerxXx
Sorry to hear that your soccer career has been put on hold !! Don't get too phased by the graft donor thing. I had 3 ACL reconstructions on the same knee and a High Tibial Osteotomy that required "Dead Mans' Bone" for the graft. I agree that it sounds a bit freaky, but I liked to think that he or she could sort of live on through my old stump. Almost like inheriting a piece of their spirit.
               But seriously, if there is one thing to remember with ACL surgery, it's give your rehab 110% Rehab is everything !!
I sincerely wish you the best with your treatment, and a speedy recovery. I'll keep an eye out for you at the next womens soccer world cup!!!

MAXI  :D
97 ACL Reconstruction & Medial Meniscus trim  R Knee
98 ACL Reconstruction R Knee
00 High Tibial Osteotomy
05 Removal of damaged screw & bone grafts to tunnels

Offline xXxpunkrockerxXx

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
    • My xanga site
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 05:04:04 PM »
thanks much.  ;D  me and my friends also decided it would be a great topic of discussion. "Well I have this dead guy living in my knee. . ." it would be exciting. I forgot to ask os about post op though. silly me  :P i am hoping all goes well. Yes keep your eye out for the next womens cup! lol hugs
~mo~   :-*
*15 y.o*
4/05 Torn Medial Menicus
6/05 Torn Acl

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 05:43:07 PM »
Hi Mo,
   I agree, a cadaver graft has always sounded a little gross to me, but supposedly the rehab with a cadaver graft is easier and shorter.  I know that 6 months sounds like a long time, but it is best to follow the rehab protocol.  If you keep re-injuring your knee, you may have to give up soccer for a lifetime!!  Hopefully the ACL isn't completely torn and reconstruction won't be required.  Take care and good luck!

Patty

Offline morgan515046

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 06:08:51 PM »
ugh that does sound a little on the freaky side Mo! lolwell i just wanted to wish you luck on the 12th. I  know ya dont want to give up soccer, but Ive learned that its better to wait and be ready to play then to play when your not ready. feel free to IM me if ya need anything or just want to vent. take it easy....keep me posted!

Mo#2 haha lol  ;D
*14 years old*

3/29/05 Track hurdle incident
7/6/05 surgery for menisectomy
8/9/05 Possible RSD???
10/11/05 Patella Tendonitis from not rehabing all the way.

VOLLEYBALL ROCKS!!!

Offline xXxpunkrockerxXx

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
    • My xanga site
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 04:18:58 AM »
yeah i'll stay off it long as u promise to too! lol. v-ball wasn't smartest thing...but it was only passing...hmm lol we are a bunch of geeks!   ::) yeah KNEE GEEKS! lol well thank you all and i will keep you posted. it did lock up on me today, hmm maybe i shouldn't be jumping...lol ttyls THANKS,  HUGS !mo! (#1)  :-*
*15 y.o*
4/05 Torn Medial Menicus
6/05 Torn Acl

Offline sportychic

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 09:49:50 AM »
Im a soccer addict too, played semi professional and then followed the Australian team around USA for the 99 world cup.   Everyone things I'm a freak!!!!

6 months is actually a whole season, but if you do your rehab correctly, it will only be 1 season you are out, but 6 months of training and getting fit for the next season.  They used to have 12 months out post a reconstruction.    Actually with all your rehab and strengthening you'll probably be fitter, faster and stronger than the rest of them at the start of the new season.   

Because I can no longer play at a high level, I am happy to play at the local level where it doesnt matter if you don't tackle.  Its easier on your body too.   And I keep saying to myself that even if i can't run, i can be goalie!!!!!!!

Good luck!!!!
ACL April 05
Infection May 05
Manipulation June 05
Still on Crutches
?RSD

Offline xXxpunkrockerxXx

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
    • My xanga site
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 11:36:14 PM »
thats very true. i could be a goalie but i am horrible sometimes with the whole hand thing. lol. its funny how us soccer players get harrased. so i bought a t-shirt. it says one the back
Ok one more time. this is your brain (pic of soccerball)
this is your brain on drugs (pic of football)
yeah that arose some dicussions...lol :P   ::)
*15 y.o*
4/05 Torn Medial Menicus
6/05 Torn Acl

Offline RN2BNVA

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2005, 02:02:59 PM »
I had an allograft (the other way of saying the dead guy's ligament!)... recovery I think was easier with it than had I gone the autograft route (they can use your own tissue). The only thing that I will caution you of is that even if you feel like you are doing wonderful the recovery is about the same amount of time because you have to wait for certain time frames for the graft to full adhere, etc. The recovery can be hard but if you stay on top of PT and work your butt off then it goes faster... quad strength is a real biggy with the ACL surgery.

I always say that the person I got my graft from must have been a runner or cyclist because before surgery i had no desire to do either one of these prior to the ACL surgery.
*May 95-- Roux-Goldthwait & lateral release
*Dec 95-- Chondroplasty, Synovial tissue removal,partial ACL tear
*Sept 04-ACL reconstruction w/allograft
*Mar 05-Chondroplasty of kneecap/Chondromalacia
*Saphenous neuroma
*Chronic PFS
*Aug 2nd 2005 Fulkerson TTT

Offline xXxpunkrockerxXx

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
    • My xanga site
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2005, 08:20:11 PM »
yeah that is one of the main reason i chose to use a cadavers acl. hmm maybe i'll run faster afterwards? lol. that would be GREAT! not only that but it will make a GREAT covorsation starter, "well i have some dead guys acl in my knee...." only could imagine the responses!!
hugs
~mo~
P.S- Morgan, my lil ankle biter is coming for you lol!
*15 y.o*
4/05 Torn Medial Menicus
6/05 Torn Acl

Offline morgan515046

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Website
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2005, 08:26:03 PM »
hey he can bring it on, but only when I can run! I'll make sure the blade is extra sharp!! bzz...haha good luck with those conversations now. talk to you later......

Morgan

P.S. Im really scared....specially with my bro's car!!
*14 years old*

3/29/05 Track hurdle incident
7/6/05 surgery for menisectomy
8/9/05 Possible RSD???
10/11/05 Patella Tendonitis from not rehabing all the way.

VOLLEYBALL ROCKS!!!

Offline xXxpunkrockerxXx

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
    • My xanga site
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2005, 08:31:16 PM »
yeah i'd be scared too  ;D my puppy is getting ready...
P.S- no we are not overly abusing pain meds...just two girls being well teens! i'm sure you all understand!
*15 y.o*
4/05 Torn Medial Menicus
6/05 Torn Acl

Offline vblefty

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2005, 02:28:26 PM »
I had my ACL reconstructed using the "Allograph" (aka Dead Guy's acl) method.  The graph they used was actually a patella tendon from a cadevor.  I have very narrow knees, so my OS had concerns about using my own patella.  We also discussed using my hamstring, but I just didn't think it was the right surgery for me.  Each type of surgery had some risks but for me the "Allograph" method seemed the best.

I have to say that I am SO happy with my recovery and rehab.  I also worked really hard during my rehab.  I went to the gym 2-3 times a day to do all of my rehab excercises.  I'd say my OS's rehab protocol was fairly aggressive which was good for me.  I think I was jogging within 2 months.  I was back on the volleyball court playing in a laid back league in 4 months.

I am now just shy of the 7 month Post Op mark and I am in even better shape overall than before my injury last September.  I am running (something I have never done until now) up to 3 miles a day.  I am even thinking of running a 5k in the Fall.  I have lost 15 pounds since my surgery with all of the work I have done.

There are some activities that I partake in that I will wear a brace.  I wear the brace doing step aerobics, playing tennis, and playing volleyball (my "main" sport).  I plan on wearing the brace for one year.  I do not wear the brace when I run or do any leg excercises (I still do a lot of the strengthening excercises I learned during PT).

The most exciting part to my recovery has been that I am now playing volleyball at a higher level than when I stopped playing after my injury (Losing 15 lbs also contributed to this).  I played two beach volleyball tournaments this weekend (doubles) and I felt great.  I even made it to the finals in my division.  I have never felt better!

So long story short, if you work hard at your rehab the results can be great!  There is always a risk with any surgery but with a little bit of luck and a lot of hard work, you'll be fine.  Good luck!
Torn ACL
Allograph/Patella Surgery 1/10/05

Offline KneeD34

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2005, 07:50:19 PM »
We just had o make this same choice for our 16 yr old son last week.  We did NOT choose a donor ACL for these reasons:
1.  How many 16 yr old donors are available?  How old will the donor ACL be, 40, 50, 60 yrs old?  I wouldn't buy used tires for my car that had 40-50K miles on them either.
2.  The donor ACL would need to be frozen/irradiated in order to "kill" any potential contaminents that may be in it (Hep, ect), not a chance we were willing to take.  If it can get by blood banks it can get by these.

In any case good luck!

support