Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Bad Left Knee  (Read 9161 times)

Offline oneillii

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Bad Left Knee
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2003, 06:26:37 PM »
Hey guys,

Gayle, I am so happy you are getting results with Vioxx...from what I hear that, and Celebrex, are great drugs. Hope you are getting out and enjoying a few walks.

Chris, my chondro was dx'd during my scope, and it was only a softening of the cartilage on the back of the patella (he was able to indent it slightly with a blunt probe), as opposed to flaking off, fissuring, etc. I think during a scope is the most definite way of dx'ing this issue, though maybe a skyline xray might also do the trick...any experienced chondro people out there with an opinion on this?

Anyway, he did not even grade my chondro (grade 1 being the most minor), but that doesn't mean it can't cause pain. Everything I do now in rehab is aimed at correcting the maltracking and hyperextensions that led to this, as I don't want it to worsen.

The reason I asked about it in your case is because I can absolutely distinguish between my medial joint pain (from the meniscal injury), an MCL strain, and the kneecap pain. At the beginning, though, I couldn't.

I just wondered if some of the pain and irritation you are experiencing post-workout might be MCL- or chondro-related. BTW, I am still not back on the stairmaster and may NEVER go there  ;) as long as there are other machines I can use to achieve the same results.

Hope you are having a good day! Susan
arthroscopy 11/06/02

Offline CGP

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2003, 08:09:45 PM »
Hi Susan

Yes it could be MCL irritation, actually this would be better news than what my GP insists it being arthritic pain from what was reported to him from those X-rays.
At least MCL will settle down after some time.
I actually had something similar to my right knee a few years ago. P.T put this right, different exercises though. Different P.T. What was given for me to do was to have surgical tubing attached to me around waist and to a pole and I was to walk sideways, both ways 20 x. Funny how memory of past injuries gets buried.

Susan, dx'd means diagnosed?

Actually there is a spot on medial side of knee lower down where I would believe the MCL attaches where it has been really sensitive to even light pressing, more so now. I would think it is MCL

'Talk' to you again

Chris

Arthrocsopic surgery on left knee for patella plica & partial synovectomy, Nov., 1982 No problems until June,97 stumble during relay, patella-femoral injury, PT. No problems with left knee 'til now.

Offline oneillii

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2003, 03:06:25 AM »
I tried that exercise with the tubing round the waist and it completely irritated my right knee...maybe I'll mention it to my new trainer and see what she thinks...

Yes, dx'd means diagnosed!

I don't know for sure how they can attribute certain pain to arthritis and other pain to something else...I guess if you are tender on the joint line that is one way. I do know that if I had the arthritis and could make the pain recede by taking a pill I'd sure take it! (and I hate meds).

I am hoping that as the population continues to age they will find some kind of cure for arthritis...I for one will be very pissed off to have spent so many years taking good care of myself, only to be limited in my later years by so much pain! NOT fair...

Anyway, don't be discouraged...maybe you've just hit a plateau in your rehab! Susan
arthroscopy 11/06/02

Offline CGP

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2003, 03:52:16 AM »
Hello Susan and others

Well w-out pm today:

Warmup 10 stationary bike easy spinning knee was a tad stiff on finishing.
13 min. walk and some very brief jogs on t-mill for approx. one mile. Knee felt a lot better.
Light quad stretching.
Exercises 6x5 each one, King deadlift one legged 1/2 squats, stepup on bench. Felt a bit of discomfort kneecap area. 3x10 Swiss ball hamstring curl. These I found easy today.
Did a little extra following, 3x20 one-legged 1/4 squats to really bring VMO into play
Some pulldowns for upper body work.
5 min. stairmaster lower intensity & 15 min. easy elliptical trainer.
Stretching, 2 min. legs against wall & spread comfortably. Quads, hamstrings & calves stretch.
Easy pool run 15 min.

Will take it easy tomorrow as was done yesterday.
Appointment Tue with P.T. See what new stuff he may have for me.
Lots of ice this pm.

Regards

Chris
Arthrocsopic surgery on left knee for patella plica & partial synovectomy, Nov., 1982 No problems until June,97 stumble during relay, patella-femoral injury, PT. No problems with left knee 'til now.

Offline Linda

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2003, 10:54:05 PM »
Hi Chris,

How anyone deals with taking care of their knees is a very individual thing. I can tell you that the scope that just looks is a very minor thing to recover from. When the went in to get the biopsy for my cartilage replacement, I walked out, and was back to the same activities from before the scope in three days. The trouble is that you never know what they will find or do once they are in there. I am glad that I had someting done sooner as my problem would have only gotten worse, and might not have been repaiable had I waited longer. I still think the biggest key is the right OS.

Good luck to you no matter what you decide. I hope you heal fast and get back to your normal routines.

Linda
LR and Chondrplasty 1/22/02, Clean-up, Chondroplasty and biopsy 6/4/02, AC Implant 11/6/02, Micro fracture and adhesion clean up 8/12/03

Offline CGP

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2003, 10:59:23 PM »
Thanks Linda

Yes knees are an individual thing.

The factor is the long waiting period between consultations to get something done.

Chris

Offline Netty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'day from Down Under.
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2003, 05:58:52 PM »
Hi there,
well you certainly got lots of answers now LOL.
I does sound like cartlidge damage, an MRI might show it up. Ive had 3 recon but my cartlidge is good so I havent experienced that, however my husband has had 2 cartlidge ops done and each time a piece has broken off his he gets the same symptoms you describe, the locking up of the knee. He just has like an arthroscope done and they remove the small bit of broken stuff that floats around in there that causes the knee to jam. Its a samll op that you get over fast but in your case its best to get expert advice. People in this site seem to be able to tell you their experiences after surgery but its hard for any of us to diognose a problem for someone. I hope yours goes well, Netty
Broke the cruciate and damaged the medial and lateral ligs playing softball.Hammy ACl recon Feb 2000(failed).Hammy ACL recon Aug 01(failed).Medial repair and Lateral loop Dec 01(failed).Still unstable

support