Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Bad Left Knee  (Read 9158 times)

Offline CGP

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Bad Left Knee
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2003, 03:35:09 AM »
Susan writes
>>>>>I hope you at least can return to running on a part time basis...<<<

Plan for me is to eventually get back out there, I'm sure as Joe Henderson once said, "All running injuries heal eventually if the right course is followed" I will be back at it. I do have faith there. One has to. I have seen others come back.

Chris
Arthrocsopic surgery on left knee for patella plica & partial synovectomy, Nov., 1982 No problems until June,97 stumble during relay, patella-femoral injury, PT. No problems with left knee 'til now.

Offline oneillii

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2003, 08:04:13 AM »
Hey Chris (and all other runners following this thread!)

Is your "deadman/single leg squat" on a half foam roll or just on the ground? How far are you to go (i.e. pain free range only?). My PT has me doing them on the foam and my quads are still so weak that I barely get down a couple inches and the patella shoots off laterally. Lovely.

FYI that one for the hams/glutes using the ball is great but gave me pain in the patellar tendon area if I did too many or rolled in too far...I cut way back on those and my hams and glutes are still getting pretty strong.

Your quote by Henderson inspired me to run a few short little bursts while walking the dog this afternoon...minimal pain afterward, but so worth it!

OK hope you don't mind me asking so many questions (well, you DID ask for replies LOL)...it's just that I am inspired by the fact that you have run for so many years...at age 35 I was getting ready to hang it up!  Please keep us posted on your recovery...Thanks, Susan
arthroscopy 11/06/02

Offline CGP

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2003, 09:46:45 AM »
Susan,

My King Deadlift one-legged 1/2 squats are on the ground and emphasize poking my butt out, keeping kneecap inline with hip & toes and to keep knee from going over toes. I am to do this in front of a mirror. Of course to be pain free and to be careful with form This is why either 3x10 or 5x6 He does want me to work up to 30 reps, for endurance. THe step up on bench , much the same principle of keeping knee from wobbling all over the place, this alone will be firing that VMO as well as the glutes. Yes I do find that swiss ball for h-strings difficult but i can see how this will benefit that area and especially my core area, abs lower back, general posture.
Feel free to ask me more questions, this is a good forum. Seems like all of us here online have a common problem to varying degrees. I appreciate comments & replies.
I do correspond with Joe Henderson and have met him up here in Victoria this year Oct. as well as a few other times for the Royal Victoria Marathon. I was on the support volunteer crew just days after my knee 'blew out' on me. Was previously aiming to run either the accompanying  8 km or the 1/2 mar. I happened to bump into Joe as he had finished the accompanying 8 km. and was retrieving his kit from the tent I was working.
Yes I have been running actually since high school, was one of the champs so to speak, then got so inspired by Frank Shorters 72 Munich marathon, as well as Bill Rogers success I just decided to make this soprt my main activity. Though some would argue to the exclusion of everything else buthey one has to be dedicated to get success. And what a long road it was. These days I run more for general health having reconciled I was as good as I was going to be. Did get to run the same Boston '82 which Alberto Salazar won on a brutally hot day. Though I wilted badly in the heat and almost didn't finish. Boy the crowd in 'Beantown' was earsplittingly loud!!

Cheers Susan

Chris
Arthrocsopic surgery on left knee for patella plica & partial synovectomy, Nov., 1982 No problems until June,97 stumble during relay, patella-femoral injury, PT. No problems with left knee 'til now.

Offline Michelle

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2003, 01:48:36 PM »
Hi there

I'm also a runner ( I have ran 1 marathon and a few other shorter races)  I soooo can identify with you about itching to get back to running.  I don't think there is any other exercise that comes close!!!  although swimming is fun it just not the same  :D

I'm just posting to say that I hope that the new exercises work and that you are back to the joys of the trail.  

Good luck
Michelle
Ruptured ACL, stretched PCL  tore meniscus and articular cartilage in feaky twisting accident in aug 02.  Arthroscopy sept 02. Had ACL recon 17/05/03, hamstring graft

Offline Rosa

• Regular Poster
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2003, 03:10:11 PM »
Hi, can I just add my good luck wishes to all those wanting to get back to running. Guess what... me too! Favourite is the Great North Run in the UK.
Havent been running at all for a few years now, not even on the treadmill.
Like a fool, I assumed that my last op would be a cure - I went and bought a new pair of running trainers before the op (got a bit carried away!). Needless to say they havent been used......yet. But not giving up hope.
My VMO is very weak - it fires ok though. Can do squats ok(ish) but I think my right leg just goes along for the ride -as one-legged....ouch.
Chris, I notice you say you are avoiding the leg extension. Why is this - does it put too much pressure on the knee itself? I have just started using it but find it painful.
Best of luck to you all
Ros
06/01 'scope rk: patellar shaving, synovial biopsy. 09/02 'scope rk: patellar shaving, suprapatellar plica, adhesions, LR, debridement, partial synovectomy. Swelling & seronegative monoarthritis.

Offline oneillii

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2003, 04:59:25 PM »
Hey Rosa

Sorry to hear your new trainers have not yet been put to good use  :( Sounds like you are on the road to recovery though

FYI my OS told me to avoid the leg extension machine FOREVER...he said that there are plenty of other quad exercises and machines and that this one simply puts too much stress on the knee. So I abandoned it gladly.

Thanks Chris for the info on form for the squat--sounds exactly like the one I am performing (badly  :P)

Michelle, are you the woman who hurt herself walking around the bed? I think I read one of your last posts--sorry to hear you are unable to run right now as well!

OK all back to the trainer for more torture--and I mean that in the best possible way of course! Susan
arthroscopy 11/06/02

Offline Michelle

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2003, 07:10:14 PM »
Hi Susan

Yeah i'm the lucky one who managed to do a whole lot just from walking around the end of my bed!  - I now consider myself to be pretty unlucky.  

My Physio and OS said the leg extension machine is VERY bad and is just designed to kill your knees - so I would avoid it if possible.  If you are finding squats really difficult you could perhaps try the ones where you slide you back down a wall - they are much easier and you have way more balance as you have contact with the wall.

Ros - I too tempted fate with my running.  I injured myself back in August but thought I would be fine by december time and applied for the London Marathon (knowing that it's pretty difficult to get a place anyway) and lo and behold I get one of those rare ballot places and my knee isn;t at all fixed and i'm still struggling to run.  

Anyway i'm gonna try again tonight - I managed to run 1.5miles on sunday, (thanks to brace) but suffered really badly from chaffing, but I suppose that comes with the territory - at least I ran for a short  while  :D.

Cheers
Michelle
Ruptured ACL, stretched PCL  tore meniscus and articular cartilage in feaky twisting accident in aug 02.  Arthroscopy sept 02. Had ACL recon 17/05/03, hamstring graft

Offline oneillii

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2003, 09:16:03 PM »
Hi Michelle

Wow! I would be so happy with 1.5 miles (I never did run real long distances anyway...)

What kind of a brace are you using and how did it help? Are you running on cinder, grass, what?

I can relate to you feeling unlucky...I went through the "why me?" so much it started driving my husband crazy!

Susan
arthroscopy 11/06/02

Offline CGP

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2003, 10:11:28 PM »
Maybe it's one of these $1,000.00 braces, aluminum? types. This was suggested to me along with these Synvisc injections, not a guarantee to be the 'magic bullet' though.

So far I would  say, "No" to both of these.

Wonder what Kneeguru would say?

Chris.

Offline CGP

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2003, 02:47:50 AM »
Well, just back from Rec. Centre and pleased to say these exercises given to me yesterday may be a step in the right direction. :) Already my left knee feels somewhat better as if some biomechanical area has given some more power to my foot when walking. All of them are doable for my present condition and even feel capable of doing more than was prescribed. Will wait & see what the news is tomorrow.

Chris

Offline oneillii

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2003, 03:57:38 AM »
Hey Chris

Glad to hear that you actually feel you can do MORE than what is asked in PT--a very good sign.

Don't know if they measured your arches but when they did mine the Dr. found that each arch collapsed on weightbearing (i.e. simply standing) by 7 mm.

I received my orthotics today and cannot believe the difference; although I still have pain behind the kneecap where the irritation from maltracking occurred, the pain in the medial aspect of the joint seems much better.

Just one more thing to consider but thought I would pass it on (you too, Michelle and Rosa!). Take care, Susan
arthroscopy 11/06/02

Offline CGP

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2003, 04:13:05 AM »
Susan

I do have semi-rigid orthotics, have had these for years
The problem for me has been from weak glutes, inflexibility etc., these have apparently contributed to my knee woes even though  have been able to ignore these areas of deficiency.

Offline Rosa

• Regular Poster
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2003, 10:47:49 AM »
Hi guys,
thanks for the advice on the leg extension machine. Think I'll give up on that one, gladly!
When my knee first started swelling 3-4 years ago, there was little pain, so I carried on running. In hind sight I think that was a bad idea, as I think it started off a cycle of swelling and synovitis due to continued irritation. That's my theory anyway, although the docs I saw at the time didnt think running caused it. Although desparate to start running agin, I'm also very cautious now because I dont want to make the same mistake again, and the knee is still swollen. Hopefully building up the quads will help bring that under control.
My arches collapse too - funnily enough the good leg is worse than the bad. This and weak quads (VMO) contributed to maltracking. Now I've been diagnosed with a 'monoarthritis' similar features to RA, but thankfully not this, and only the one joint. So its some combination of mechanical and rheumatological problems.
My new running trainers are for over-pronators. Maybe I'll get to try them soon.
Michelle - what bad luck just from walking around the end of the bed! Hopefully you will make a full recovery and get to do the London Marathon soon. I've never managed a full marathon. Hopefully one day....
Take care all
Ros
06/01 'scope rk: patellar shaving, synovial biopsy. 09/02 'scope rk: patellar shaving, suprapatellar plica, adhesions, LR, debridement, partial synovectomy. Swelling & seronegative monoarthritis.

Offline Michelle

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2003, 01:06:16 PM »
Hi All

Well I managed the 1.5 again last night so I am REALLY pleased.  Although prior to the injury I was running 25-30 miles a week so its a drop in the ocean really but we have to start somewhere.  I'm running a mixture of trail and pavement  (I don't like to run in the dark so can only do well lit paths).  

My main problem is with instabilty and primarily hyper-extension, so I now have an Innovation Sports PCL brace which stops this and enables me to run.  Before I had this I could only managed about 2 mins on the treadmill before my knee started really hurting.  

I'm a neutral runner and have the appropriate shoes, and haven't really thought about insoles as I never had any probelms prior to the twang, but this may be worth thinking about now - so thanks for the heads-up.

Best wishes
Michelle

Offline oneillii

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2003, 06:30:44 PM »
Hey guys

Another odd question: do your knees feel "tight?"

By this I mean mine (both the bad one and the "good" one) feel stiff, like they either don't WANT to run, or can't quite remember how...anyone experience this?

When I do force myself into a jog it feels stiff and I know my gait is off...wondering if this is also causing problems for me. I don't think it's a lack of ROM, as my trainer has me going into nearly full squats now with no pain... Could it be a lack of endurance since that area has not had to "put out" since my injury last July?

Keep working those quads--I am happy to report that I am seeing results in this area and you wouldn't believe how it helps that kneecap pain! Hope you are all well, Susan
arthroscopy 11/06/02

support