Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Osgood Schlatters?  (Read 8484 times)

Offline knerd

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Osgood Schlatters?
« on: July 23, 2005, 06:55:31 AM »
Hey,

First post here.. I'm 15 and I think I have Osgood Schlatters, but I'm not really sure. On my left knee there is a (kind of) large round bone like 3 CM below the main knee joint...  And kind of a small one on my right knee, but my best guess is that it's normal size, and it doesn't "stick out" nearly as much... Had it for a couple of years, never really bothered me so I didn't look into it. But it hurts easily if I bump it like on a chair. I don't play any sports so I have no idea how I would have gotten it.. But I used to skateboard when I was around 10 years old. Can't think of any time where I injured my knee particularly badly. Kinda odd the doc never noticed it all this time either? :-\ and I never mentioned it to him hehe :P . Anyway, your best imput would be appreciated. Also, since I've had it so long, would there be any permanent damage? Will I be able to lunges and leg lifts, etc, after I get it sorted out? Will I be able to get it sorted out?

EDIT: actually, now that I think about it, it doesn't really hurt anymore when I bump it, but it used to.. (just tried it)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2005, 06:59:47 AM by knerd »

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
Re: Osgood Schlatters?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 12:39:40 AM »
You can live with OSgood Schlatters disease with few worries. It should calm down after you finish growing. Both of my children and my husband had it. If you were an athlete, rest is what the dr would prescribe. The lumps , unfortunately will never go away. Hubby still has them at his ripe old age. 17  yr old son has them. My daughter's isnt as bad. It will not mess up the tracking in your knee or any mechanics so you really dont have anything to worry about. Hubby's lumps are still tender if bumped and he is 50 yrs old.
good luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline Hedges

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 06:03:54 PM »
I had this when I hit my growth spurt at age 14-15. I was a very active kid, and the doctor made me stand down from sports for about a year. I recently had my knees xrayed and MRI'd for an unrelated problem. The OS pointed out that the Osgood Schlatters bump did not grow attached to the knee as it was supposed to. He explained that I probably didn't stop sports soon enough when I was a kid.

Bottom line: I'm fine now...I've got a big bump under my knees that is always tender if bumped. The OS told me that they tend to remove that bump now when it occurs to kids.

Offline FAT BOY

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • IM NOT REALY FAT
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 09:36:47 PM »
SAME HERE BUT MY DAD HA THEM AND THEY STILL HURT HIM IF I WORK IT WILL THERE BE LESS PAIN
DYLAN REYNOLDS

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 09:53:36 PM »
They will NOT stop hurting if you work harder. The opposite is truel. rest is the only thing that can really relieve it. You can try those knee straps , my daughter sometimes uses them with a little relief but it wont stop it from hurting.

2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline kneehurts08

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Live life to its fullest
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 02:12:31 AM »
Now i have a ? i am 13 and done growing. I am confussed why my knee won't stop hurting i have iced them and takin tylanol but it won't go away. It hurts from my kneecap and all the way down my leg do i need to see a doctor? It would be appericatied to get a response thanks

Offline vix

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 06:51:42 AM »
 you do need to get a diagnosis from a doctor or a orthopedic surgeon to check it is osgood schlatters, but if it is your growth will not stop till maybe 17-18 years old.My son has it very badly in both legs and that is what he has been told,also anti inflammatorys and pain killers may help but they have never totally taken the pain away.you must rest and avoid sports and climbing stairs.Good luck
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 07:22:44 PM by vix »

Offline kneehurts08

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Live life to its fullest
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 06:46:30 PM »
Thank u and i updated mine on top so that might help.

Thanks
 Emily  ;)

support