Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Quad sets and knee pain  (Read 3276 times)

Offline cyndezu

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • I'm not having fun yet!
Quad sets and knee pain
« on: February 14, 2003, 09:25:28 PM »
Hi everybody, hope I have'nt worn my welcome out yet ;D

I'm doing lots and lots of quad sets and slr's as told to do but, my knee is becoming sore and feels stressed.
Do you think its wise to keep at it and just pop some pain reliever? I can't believe i'm overdoing it, I was told to do thousands of these and have only aproached a few hundred a day.
I want so badly to get my vmo to work :-[
but just a twitch here and there.
any idea's? please :-*

Cindy
acl allograph, meniscus repair, patella shaving
August 23, 2002

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
Re: Quad sets and knee pain
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2003, 09:48:18 PM »
Make sure you are icing and elevating! I'm not sure about the pain. I know I was told to do them all day long. It always hurt some, but always just irritating, not like I was injuring something. I guess you have to be the judge of when it is too much. You could always try backing off a little and see if it helps, then start out gradually again. Hopefully someone else has a better answer for you!

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline neil

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2003, 06:35:08 AM »
i have been strengthening my quad post surgery now for almost 4 months and pain has been constant. i would suggest you do fewerreps but more sets. make it an all day thing, some here, some there. if you have availability to inddor pool, i  found that works well. the water keeps pressure off and i ahve my best days after the pool.  talk to your therapist about it, coomunicate as much as possible and impress upon them the aches and pain. i now face further surgery sometime in march but am continuing excerscises so i can be ready when it is time again. ask for an e stim machine, see if your dr or pt can prescribe one, it will help strengthen, as well as keep pain minimal.
9-13-02 - present, 4 surgeries to right knee. quad severed, piece of femoral condyle cut off, shaving of patella. had cartilage implant 9-22-03, fluid drain, cultures & manipulation10-21-03

Offline oneillii

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2003, 08:16:32 AM »
Hey Cindy

Glad to hear you are still hanging in there...actually if your VMO is even twitching that's a GOOD sign...means neurologically it's "waking up." Now we just need to get our VMOs out of bed lol

FYI I am only doing 2 sets of 20 leg raises 2x daily; same for isometric quad sets, and also short arc extensions. Then I am doing work for my hamstrings and mini squats (5-10 with a 5 count hold).

This, in addition to the exercise bike and some balance work, has given me pretty good results...I think if I were approaching 100+ leg raises a day I would be sore too!

Can't they use e-stim or something to help kick in the VMO? It seems to me that the rest of your leg will try to "pitch in" when fatigue sets in to the VMO anyway! Good luck, Susan (BTW I do take a pain reliever twice a day to keep the swelling down after pushing myself at the gym...)
arthroscopy 11/06/02

Offline cyndezu

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • I'm not having fun yet!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2003, 06:15:16 PM »
Good day and happy knee's everyone :D
I'm feeling a bit more optimistic today about this whole mess ;D I do hate to drone on about all the messy details, but I'm busy putting my ducks in a row and gearing up for a new "DOC" and pt. :-X

I did ask for an at home zapper er, EMS and he totally scoffed at the idea, said they were very expensive and I could only have one if it was proven it would work and I should just go to pt. and do my thousands of quads and slr's like I have been doing for the past five months,GRRR  I must point out he did'nt hesitate to order me a $1,600 brace from his bud. I can't help but think my O.S. is just a mean little man and have since dropped him overboard ::)

Well, I have done alot of icing and toally backed off my exercises, my fat pad area was hurting when I walked...
I think it was the thousands of quad sets that did me in ???
I have spent oodle's of time staring at my vmo, I'm sure I must look like I have ocd. My dear husband alway's find's me doing this, actually I'm gently contracting my quads with my leg almost straight and turned out at the foot, and I'm beginning to get some good contractions this way,one so strong my heel left the floor :D
I was able to do a few slr's today, no weight but i'll go very slow for now...maybe i'll hit the gym for a little recumbent biking.
So yes I am hanging in there ;)  and still hoping for a miraculous recovery for me, and everybody else dealing
with this gawd awful c-ap :P

Truly my best, Cindy
acl allograph, meniscus repair, patella shaving
August 23, 2002

Offline Pat_A.E.

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2003, 01:09:12 AM »
One of the many frustrating things about this whole knee issue is how much you can exercise and see so few results!  Have you tried adding ankle weights to your leg lifts?  I also do squats and lunges.  I have been told repeatedly that lunges are the best overall leg exercise, even very shallow ones.  I can't imagine our leg exercises are any different then other workouts. . . .you can overdue and if the muscles are really worked, they need time to recover.  This is probably not true of quad sets, but is a good rule of thumb for the other stuff.
The good news is that once I got back to my former workout routine the calf came back almost 100% within a month.  The quads are stronger then they appear and are firing almost 100% since 1/2/03.
9/25/02  shattered right patella,10/11/02 surgical repair .1/31/03 hardware removed. Currentley dealing with tendenosis. Spring 2004 almost 100% back!!!!