Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Sharon's patellar tendon reconstruction  (Read 6576 times)

Offline Sharon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Sharon's patellar tendon reconstruction
« on: July 22, 2005, 05:22:37 AM »
Hi everyone,

Well, I'm back. Let me just tell you that the day of my surgery I was absolutely terrified and am so glad that it's over. No more surgeries for me, unless it's to remove the hardware from this one. According to my OS the surgery went quite well. He said that he was able to get my leg to 130 degrees in the operating room, he got my patella back to a more normal position and he also shaved down the bump from my TTT revision. I was in the hospital for 2 nights which really wasn't fun but he wanted me to stay so I had to. It was mainly because he wanted me to have good pain control so I could bend my knee as much a possible. I got home yesterday at about 4 and am very happy to be home and in my own bed again. Quite honestly my knee doesn't hurt all that much when I'm keeping it perfectly still. I have an absolutely horrific blood rush whenever I stand up and it also hurts quite a bit when I flex my quads. I've been using my CPM like a good girl. I think I was on it for about 6 hours total today and got to 90 degrees. I was at 110 in the hospital but that was when my leg was still blocked up from the nerve block. My OS wants me at 120 by Tuesday which is when I'm seeing him to have xrays and get the stitches out. That's only another 30 degrees so I know I'll get it. I also have to use my stim machine on my quads so I did it today for 15 minutes and am going to try to up it each day by one 15 minute session. He told me it's extremely important to work on my quads because they're a big part of what's going to keep my patella sitting up where it's supposed to be. I only saw part of my knee when I went to adjust the ace bandage and the gauze pads that are underneath it and it's not a pretty sight. My kneecap is very very bruised and very swollen. The incision doesn't look too bad though. It only had to be extended about another inch or two up from the old one so he could get to my quad tendon. I'm on vicodin for the pain. I tried percoset in the hospital for a day and it made me feel so incredibly drugged and out of it that I told them I wanted vicodin instead. I felt so much better after that. Right after the surgery they had me on the epidural for pain control and that worked well although I was pretty numb from the nerve blocks for awhile so I never really had to press the PCA button at all. I also had to have a catheter because of the epidural which was just lovely. I was actually happy to be woken up at 5am yesterday morning by the nurse when she took my vitals and then asked me if I wanted her to remove the epidural and catheter. So all in all I guess I'm not feeling half bad. I'm tired but I think alot of that has to do with me not sleeping well at all in the hospital. Tomorrow I think my mom is going to go the PT facility closest to us that's the same company as the one I went to so she can try to find out if any of my PT's are working there or if they know where they are working. I figure once I see my OS next week he's going to want me to start PT either later next week or the following week so I have to try to find my PT's now. Anyway, I guess that's about it for now. Time to head to bed and see how much sleep I can get before I get too uncomfortable in this darned brace.

(((Hugs)))

Sharon
Left knee:
LR-5/99 & 9/01
Distal realignment and LR 7/02
TTT revision 6/03
screw removal/MUA 10/03
d/x with severe patella baja
7/05 patellar tendon replacement w/piece of quad tendon
4/07 OATS

Offline Jaci

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
  • User's Text
Re: Sharon's patellar tendon reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 05:35:51 AM »
Sharon,

I was thinking about you earlier and wondering how you're doing. Welcome back!

It sounds like the surgery went well. So now it's time for the oh so fun rehab that we all know and love.  ;)

I really hope this surgery is the beginning of getting your life back. Take it easy-- pain meds, CPM, ice, etc, etc.....

Best wishes.

Jaci
10/03 Twist injury
12/03 Menisectomy- tears ACL, MCL, & LCL missed by OS
Arthrofibrosis ROM 38-68
3/04- 4/08 Multiple scar tissue procedures:
6 scopes w/LOA, AIR, LR, chondroplasty, synovectomy, bone spur & plica removal
3 insufflations, many injections
Chronic AF, patella infera, IPCS

Offline stoutfalcon

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • Remeber,No matter where you go<there you are
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 12:27:40 PM »
glad you made it through with flying colors and that you are home now. :)  Just keep your chin up,and remember to ice and elevate.
 To help with the bloodrush,set your foot down in stages.Level first, then floor,then try standing,just let it stay in each position for a minute or two. It lets blood hit you slowly instead of all at once. Took me all of second trip to bathroom to figure that trick out.
Good luck,and take care
TTT/LR 6/23 
38yo male
3.5yrs on aircraftcarrier/14yrs commercial/residential construction,?wonder why my knee are boogered up

shadehawk

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 12:35:39 PM »

Sharon,

Glad that you have this surgery behind you now. 

Congratulations!!  Glad that things are going as planned.

Remember the elevating & ice stuff....

Sending hugs and healing vibes your way ...............................

Shade

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 02:12:53 PM »

Hugs for you.  So glad your back home and recuperating.  Like everone says ice, ice, ice,

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 03:33:38 PM »
Sharon,

I'm so glad everything went well!! Take it easy and relax!! Hope you can find your PTs!

~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005, 03:48:44 PM »
Hey Sharon, so happy your surgery went well. Hope rehab goes great and your still feeling well!
krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005, 10:16:27 PM »
Hi Sharon!

so happy to hear that things went well for you.  just concentrate on healing and getting back to normal.  listen to your body and dont overdo things.  hopefully you located your PTs!! 

big hugs,
~Mandy
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005, 10:58:19 PM »
Hi Sharon,
   I am so glad that your surgery went well.  It sounds like everything is going well, 90 degrees flexion, that is great.  Good luck with the rest of your rehab!

Take care,
Patty

Offline Sharon

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2005, 06:06:23 AM »
Hi everyone,

Well I had a small setback today but at least at this point I've managed to get somewhat back on track. This morning when I started up on my CPM I had this stinging pain on a small part of my incision so I pulled back the gauze to take a look and it had started to bleed very very slightly. My mom told me to call my OS's office so I did and his nurse told me to take a break from the CPM for the morning and go back to it in the afternoon and if it felt better to just take it very slowly in moving up with my flexion. She said that the bleeding was probably from the steristrips pulling away and that's what I think it was too because it stopped almost immediately. So that set me back in my flexion a bit and at this point I'm in the same place I was in last night as I just managed to get to 90 again. Oh well, hopefully tomorrow I can move on a bit and get above 90 which is the most important step for me right now.

Everything else is pretty much the same. The blood rush is absolutely horrible making me wonder exactly how much hardware I have in my knee right now. It takes me a good 5 minutes to just be able to get up from a lying down position to standing. I really think that's the worst part. My parents are leaving tomorrow morning to go away until Tuesday which I'm not thrilled about but I've known they were going since I scheduled this. My brother is less than helpful so I'm pretty much on my own but I think I'll be okay. My mom got me lots of food for the microwave today which is pretty much the only way I can cook right now because I can't stand long enough to cook or clean up after myself. Tomorrow night my boyfriend is going to pick up dinner for both of us on his way home from work so at least I don't have to worry about that. I guess that's about it for now. Time to try to get to bed although my lovely neighbors are blaring music so loud that my walls are vibrating! They did the same thing last night until 2:30am! I just love considerate people, don't you??!!??

(((Hugs)))

Sharon

Left knee:
LR-5/99 & 9/01
TTT revision 6/03
screw removal/MUA 10/03
4/07 OATS

Offline stoutfalcon

• Regular Poster
  • Remeber,No matter where you go<there you are
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2005, 01:07:59 AM »
To help with the bloosrush, massage the calf. It will stimulate the capilaries to increase normal blood flow,reduce swelling and avoid cellulitus. :P  I know that curiousity killed the cat,but you need to leave the steri-strips alone. :) The pressure from all of the bandages helps keep the swelling down in that area and thus reduces the pulling on the strips.
 Microwave food is pretty awesome, ;)I had a freezer full of Michelina's and Hungry Man dinners. :D That and some precooked,cleaned and tailless shrimp.And some Texas Pete cocktail sauce. :P It thaws slowly and you can eat it as you want.
Good luck with your recovery and your regaining flex
Eric
TTT/LR 6/23 
38yo male
3.5yrs on aircraftcarrier/14yrs commercial/residential construction,?wonder why my knee are boogered up

Offline Sharon

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2005, 05:33:48 AM »
Hi everyone,

Today was my first post-op appt with my OS being one week since my surgery. It was pretty much your typical post-op appt. I had my stitches taken out which was really painful for me this time around. I had the stitches where it's sticking out at either end of the incision and they just snip the middle and pull out at either end. I was told that it leaves a much neater and less visible scar that way. Anyway, when the nurse pulled the bottom stitch out it wasn't bad at all however when she pulled the top one it was really painful, to the extent that it brought tears to my eyes. I was so glad my mom was there holding my hand! I was a wimp and couldn't handle looking at my incision but my mom, the nurse and my OS all said it looks really good. They just covered it with some new steri strips and put a sock kind of thing over it so it wouldn't get irritated or anything under the brace. Apparently whatever was bleeding the other day had healed because my OS said there was no sign of any part of it being open at all. The doctor is very happy with the way my ROM is progressing even though I haven't been able to use the CPM for the past few days because of the incision bleeding but he said that even if I lost a little it's still great that I got to 100 degrees. Now he wants me to take it slow for the rest of this week and try to work back up to that. He doesn't want me rushing, the most important thing is to just keep my leg moving. I'm allowed to full weightbear as I can tolerate it and can wean myself off of my crutches as I'm feeling more comfortable. I still have to keep my brace locked whenever I'm standing or walking but I can bend my leg when I'm sitting and I can even take the brace off to sleep or do anything where I won't be standing. I'm going to sleep with it for a few more nights though until it's less bruised and sensitive because I'm afraid of turning over in my sleep and hurting it. Tonight I was sitting on my bed and tried bending my knee while I was sitting and got it to almost 60 degrees which I was really happy with. It didn't really hurt, it just feels very very tight but I figure the more I do that and the CPM, the more things will loosen up. I was also told to work my quads with my stim unit like crazy. He wants me to crank it up as high as I can because right now my quads are dead and that's a huge part of keeping my patella up where it's supposed to be and not let it fall too low again. He didn't even intend to send me to formal PT, he just figured I could do it at home but considering my parents are going away for 2 weeks on Thursday and I won't have anyone to help me with the PT, I told him I'd rather go to formal PT. He was fine with that, he was just trying to make it easier for me. I also feel like I'll work harder if I have a PT pushing me rather than doing it on my own. Tomorrow my mom is going to call and try to track down my PT's for me to see which facility they got moved to when mine closed. Hopefully I'll be able to find one of them. So all in all the appt went well. He's very happy with the way the surgery went and told me that I'll have to work very hard and it will hurt but it will pay off in the end.

(((Hugs)))

Sharon
Left knee:
LR-5/99 & 9/01
TTT revision 6/03
screw removal/MUA 10/03
4/07 OATS

Offline newmom2afw

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2005, 02:05:45 AM »
Hi Sharon--

Sounds like you are getting along quite well.  That is encouragin to me.  I read you entries, and my knee starts hurting, and my stomach gets that queezy feeling for you--especially with the blood rush thing--Brings back horrible memories, and makes me cringe for what is to come.  But you sound as cheerful as you can be at this point, and I admire you for that!!  Hang in there, and take it easy!!!

Lots of get well wishes--Tiffany

shadehawk

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2005, 01:31:53 PM »
Sharon,

How is everything going with you.

There is a lady that has patella baja and having a similar procedure to you and I steered her to this post to get some info...

You have not posted in awhile and I hope all is okay with you...

Shade

Offline Sharon

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2005, 06:05:45 AM »
Shade-thanks for steering her to my post. I know I'm one of the only people here, if not the only one, who's had this so hopefully I can help her out.

And as far as how I'm doing-pretty good. My parents came home from California last Thursday night so it's good to have them home again although they're leaving again on their cruise on Wednesday. They're only going to be gone for a week this time so it'll be okay. I'm also able to get out of the house more so I think that will make the days seem less lonely and endless. I'm going to a wedding on Saturday night with my boyfriend and his family. It's his cousins who I actually know from high school so I guess it'll be fun. Unfortunately I can't dance as my brace has to be locked when I'm standing and my brace isn't exactly the cutest fashion accessory but I'll deal with it. At least my dress falls a bit below my knee so you can't see my ace wrap and only the bottom of my brace is visible. I feel kind of silly and wish I didn't have to wear the brace at all but I have to. At least my dress is cute :)

Today was exactly 4 weeks since my surgery. I don't have full flexion yet and my quads are still pretty pathetic but little by little I'm seeing improvement. Today at PT my therapist said that she could feel that I had a little more control over my SLR's even though she still has to help me. I also went on the bike for the first time and wasn't able to get around either forwards or backwards but I pushed as hard as I could and made the goal to be able to get all the way around in 2 weeks. Tomorrow my PTA from the office that closed, where my PT also worked, is going to be working at the office that I'm now going to. My PTA isn't working anywhere at the moment and my PT is going to be working alone so my PTA said she would help her out. When she heard that I had the surgery and was back in PT she told my therapist that I had to come in both days she's going to be there(tomorrow and Thursday.) I'm really excited to see her and to work with her because she's absolutely wonderful and has been through all of my PT with me from the very beginning, until this time at least. Tomorrow they're also coming to take my CPM away. I'm just going to miss it so much-yeah right!! My flexion is getting a bit better but my quads are still really tight and take awhile to stretch out. But I just keep telling myself that I will get to 120 degrees. I'm determined and I'm willing to work as hard as it takes to make this work and make it my last surgery. I even told my PT today that as long as my OS is okay with it, I want to try skiing again hopefully this winter. I absolutely love it, my parents taught me to do it when I was 3 and it's the only sport I was ever good at so I want to be able to try and do it again. Besides, I have brand new skis that I've only used like twice and I want to use them again.

Anyway, that's pretty much the update on how I'm doing. I don't really have too much pain although I'm finding that on nights after PT and at times when I keep my leg bent for too long or try to hobble around too much I get pretty sore. I found some ultracet that I had from last year that my pain management doctor had prescribed so I've been taking that as advil wasn't working at all. The ultracet is helping and even though according to the bottle it's a few months expired my mom said it's okay to take, it just might be slightly less effective. I'll definitely keep you updated on my progress.

(((Hugs)))
Sharon
Left knee:
LR-5/99 & 9/01
TTT revision 6/03
screw removal/MUA 10/03
4/07 OATS