Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Annoying knee pain  (Read 1314 times)

Offline prucham

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Annoying knee pain
« on: February 14, 2003, 12:44:18 AM »
I am 30 year old male - in great shape, 5'7 and 156lbs.  This is to show that I am not over weight.  Well about two weeks ago I was driving for about 4 hours and toward the end of the drive my right knee started to bother me some.  Since then the knee has consistently been bothering me - requiring 2 advils to remove the annoyance to sleep.  The pain is not anywhere on the surface of the leg.  It seems to radiate from the center of the knee up and down.  though if you put a lot of pressure on the upper front muscle it seems to stimulate the pain a little.   Bending with the knee gives an occasional flutter as though you might lose the ability to hold yourself up - but it seems to be a fake feeling though if any pressure is done to lean right or left there is increased pain.  The pain is mostly a light dull aching and with some periodic throbs or spikes of pain radiating all over the knee.  The knee seems to have more pain after driving or walking for a period of time.  Though it has gone annoying all night long while trying to sleep.  There is no see-able swelling or tightness in the knee or muscles.   It has been 12 days since it started.  On occasion it has been making me walk with a limp - since the joint tends to force that automatic effect when it is in pain.   Any suggestions would be helpful in figuiring out what it is.   Unfortunately I am presently out of work(computer network designer) and do not have insurance or a local doctor to go to.  

Sincerly in hopes of some ideas,

Michael
« Last Edit: February 14, 2003, 07:55:10 PM by prucham »

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 112
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: Annoying knee pain
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2003, 11:23:14 PM »
What you describe appears to be what is loosley called 'anterior knee pain', and the cause is possibly a plica. Read up about this and other causes pf patellofemoral syndrome. Here are some links:
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/html/step_05_patella/step_05_plica.html
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/html/step_05_patella/step_05_pfp.html
KNEEguru
--
KNEEguru