Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Whats my injury? ACL or cartilage?  (Read 2045 times)

Offline Ally

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Whats my injury? ACL or cartilage?
« on: February 13, 2003, 03:01:31 PM »
Hi,

Looking for some advice really.

Injured my right knee a couple of years ago, playing football (soccer). Tried to step over the ball and got nudged, my weight went onto my right leg which was totally straight, no twisting, the knee joint felt like it locked, and as I got my weight off it I heard a sort of POP. Went off, got to the car and went to go home but didn't feel right so went to casualty as my knee was swelling up and didn't feel like it was stable.

After waiting around for a while I got checked out and x-rayed, no MRI, and was told I'd damaged some soft tissue, maybe cartilage, then got sent home on crutches. Next morning swelling was much worse. This all led to a a couple of weeks on crutches, a few weeks off work, and regular visits to my GP who checked it out and seemed happy that i just needed physio once the swelling reduced.

Had the physio, told to build up and go back to regular exercise. Few months later was playing badminton, went to twist to my right, felt me knee giving way and moving in towards the other knee. Not as bad as before, but once again visitied the Doc, saw a locum, didn't see a major problem, sent me for more physio.

Since then have been cutting out the high impact exercise and have been ok, until a couple of weeks ago when I was sitting cross legged on the floor for about 45 minutes and found that my knee was locked when i tried to get up! Visited GP again, saw another different Doctor, who says I may have torn my ACL at the time of the soccer injury and has referred me to hospital - tho I'll be waiting for a while on an appointment I think (NHS for you)

Really just hoping maybe someone will recognise any part of this and may be able tpo advise me on how likely it is my ACL has been damaged- and has been missed by 2 GP's and a casualty doctor! - or if its likely to be a cartilage problem that has been misdiagnosed at my recent appointment!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, since I hurt my knee by sitting cross legged, I'm also finding sometimes it's 'sticking' straight and cracks when I move it.

Any advice would be appreciated!!

all the best,

Ally

« Last Edit: February 13, 2003, 04:42:11 PM by Ally »
Football (Soccer) injury 03/01, GP&Physio, Badminton injury, 05/02, GP&Physio, injured sitting on floor (seriously!), visit to GP 02/04,said torn ACL. OS 06/03, no ACL damage, MCL and menicus, physio

Offline cyndezu

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • I'm not having fun yet!
Re: Whats my injury? ACL or cartilage?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2003, 03:44:03 PM »
Hi Ally,

I walked around two years without an acl and did'nt know it, it would occacionally go out on me and be painful for a little while. Not to alarm you but the pop in your knee at the time of injury is concerning.
Do get an mri and, if your acl defient do get a good surgon if, you choose to have it repaired. Please be very careful about twisting motions for now, I did that several times before I knew what was wrong and it contributed to more damage.

Take care, Cindy
acl allograph, meniscus repair, patella shaving
August 23, 2002

Offline Ally

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2003, 04:46:15 PM »
Hi Cindy,

Thanks for the reply!

Twisting motions have been giving me some problems since the initial injury, have sometimes felt a bit of a tweak if I've slipped and my knee has twisted a little.

Hope you managed to get your problem fixed!

Cheers...

Ally
Football (Soccer) injury 03/01, GP&Physio, Badminton injury, 05/02, GP&Physio, injured sitting on floor (seriously!), visit to GP 02/04,said torn ACL. OS 06/03, no ACL damage, MCL and menicus, physio

Offline Linda

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2003, 11:30:59 PM »
Hi Alley,

I had many of your symptoms and only had cartalige problems. That is not to say that you don't have an ACL problem! I think you need to have more investigation done on it.

Good luck!
Linda
LR and Chondrplasty 1/22/02, Clean-up, Chondroplasty and biopsy 6/4/02, AC Implant 11/6/02, Micro fracture and adhesion clean up 8/12/03

Offline Michelle

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2003, 01:00:25 PM »
HI Ally

From what you have described it sounds like you have deffo done something to your meniscus - the locked knee is a symptom of that.  I don't know about the ACL but either way you need to see somebody who knows about knees, and they can pretty much tell you what you have done just from a thorough exam.  

Good luck

Michelle
Ruptured ACL, stretched PCL  tore meniscus and articular cartilage in feaky twisting accident in aug 02.  Arthroscopy sept 02. Had ACL recon 17/05/03, hamstring graft

Offline Netty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'day from Down Under.
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2003, 06:28:02 PM »
The "pop"sound thing you said you heard is usuallt a definate sign that the ACL was damaged. The only real way to know though is if you have an MRI done. A  good OS should be able to tell you straight off though. I hope this isnt the case, ACL's are a bummer. Im happy to answer questions you have about ACL'S, Im beginning to learn a lot about then seeing Im awaiting my 4th one.
Broke the cruciate and damaged the medial and lateral ligs playing softball.Hammy ACl recon Feb 2000(failed).Hammy ACL recon Aug 01(failed).Medial repair and Lateral loop Dec 01(failed).Still unstable

Offline Ally

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2003, 05:42:32 PM »
Hello peeps,

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated!!  ;D

Hoping it is a meniscus problem as this seems a good bit easier to sort out than an ACL injury - been referred to hospital about it anyway so just have to wait on that, hopefully won't take too long. Just need to take it easy in the meantime!!

Netty - Whats the recovery time after an ACL op? I take it my mobility would be seriously messed up for a few weeks? Sound I heard on first injury is quite difficult to define, could have been a pop, could maybe describe it as a crack.

Thanks again everyone,

Ally

support