Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: I need your help  (Read 12953 times)

kelsaygh

Re: I need your help
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2005, 03:09:13 AM »
I feel guilty too, and I have only just "joined"!  I find this board etc very helpful, and I'm willing to contribute--how do I do that?  And while I am asking questions about "techniques" online--how do people modify their "signature" to add what their previous knee "procedures" have been?  I think it really adds to the credibility of a response if one knows what the responder has been through!  I thought I was computer savvy, but I guess not. . . .kelsaygh

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2005, 03:25:08 AM »
kelsaygh

Up on the top of the page click on profile, then on the left under modify profile click on Forum Profile Information.  Make any changes you want, then at the bottom of that page click on change profile and your new profile will show up.

Good luck

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline Cari

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2005, 04:28:04 AM »
I have also been through the online courses and I found them extremely helpfull and easy to follow. I am a "regular" person and not in the medical professioanl field and though my operation(s) were totall successfull I still learned from the courses and believe me I found the Kneeguru about 7 years ago all from doing my own research. I still do the research and I think the course were a wonderfull addition to it all!!!

My donation will be on its way shortly !!!

Cari
open lateral release 10/85, various scopes 1994-1998 for debridement, medial release 11/98,  TTT(Fulkerson)& lateral release 11/30/99, screw removal 6/27/00, tibial repair 2/13/01, dx RSD 6/25/01

Offline heather k from wales

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Ouch!!
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2005, 07:31:10 AM »
A small membership fee of just a few £'s every 3 months or so surely would'nt hurt anyone.
Maybe if new members were allowed to use the site for free for a week, then once they get a taste of what info, help and support is available Im sure they would'nt grudge paying just a few £'s....after all, WE are the ones who benefit from the site.
Im sure everyone would be mortified if the site was closed down through lack of funding.

Just my thought,

Heather ;)
91 Mangled Right knee on trials motorbike
94 Meniscus Repair
95 ACL/LCLrec,notchplasty,bone graft
01 90% Menisectomy
02 Scope
03 ACLrec,LAD
OA,osteophytes
04 Ch'plasty, ACLdeb,Suprapatella mbr ex, haematoma
04 Scope
March 06 Scaphoid op/bone graft
Nov 07 Thyroid Cancer ops x 2, radiation

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 115
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2005, 10:01:19 AM »
I did read the intro's to the courses though, and the intro's gave me the impression that the courses may be geared a little bit more to clinicians than to regular folks.  The courses themselves may be totally terrific for anyone on the board...
I am going to do a little experiment for a week and make both courses FREE (ignore the fact that the price is still visible). Have a go, all of you, starting with the arthroscopy one, which is easier to do.

Then let me have your opinion how I should progress with this part of the site.

Those who have paid already and done the courses can have the next course for free instead.

KNEEguru
--
KNEEguru

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2005, 11:26:47 AM »
Would it be difficult for a company to produce the t-shirts and handle all the business and marketing end, with a portion of the proceeds going to the site?  You could have a link right on this site with an online ordering process.  I know many of us would probably LOVE to have a KNEEguru t-shirt!  For that matter, coffee mugs, tear-away pants etc!

Here you go, then. I have set up a store with CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/kneegeeks !!!

There's nothing in it yet. That's where all of you come into it. I will optimize some guru images, but look to you for ideas, designs etc.  See http://cafepress.com for ideas about customising the available products.

KNEEguru
--
KNEEguru

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2005, 11:32:52 AM »
I'm willing to contribute--how do I do that? 
There are a number of ways to contribute:
- direct contribution via the 'donate' button
- buy from the online store as soon as we get it going! (see last thread)
- attend the courses
- download the e-books (only two at present) - we are just improving the download system, so hang in there and I'll give you the new links
- buy from Amazon via one of our Amazon links (eg the book links on our home page)
- keep an eye on the Google ads and respond if there are any that interest you

KNEEguru
--
KNEEguru

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2005, 01:04:41 PM »
A small membership fee of just a few £'s every 3 months or so surely would'nt hurt anyone.
This was not the general view when this topic was raised before. I am happy to find alternative means because it is you guys who have created much of the content on the site anyway, and spent as many hours on it as I. But I have the aditional expenses of running and maintaining it.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 04:18:32 PM by The KNEEguru »
--
KNEEguru

Offline JenSinclair

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Canis meus id comedit.
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2005, 01:37:57 PM »
The donate button is so...well...understated that I think a lot of us just don't think about it.  I don't advocate making it bigger or flashier...but maybe a reminder on the bulletin boards on the first of every month is in order?  I agree with Guru about not "charging" for the site as there are a lot of kids (who wouldn't have a way to pay) and many people who simply couldn't afford even a couple quid a month.

I keep saying I'm going to go get in the shower, then I keep clicking refresh and posting more.  This must stop...right now (okay...in five minutes)!

Peace,
Jen
LR/TTT 3 August 2006, RK
LR/TTT 16 June 2005, LK
CPMs are evil.

Offline Jan_L.

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2005, 04:21:29 PM »
Hello,

First of all I want to say that I agree with shade.   "Probably because a lot of people like me do not do any business transactions over a PC".   Now that I can just simply send you a check I will do so, I have already written out the check. 

But I think another problem you have is that so many people are simply unaware of your situation.  For so many of us, we turn our computers on and go directly to the section that we normally post in.  I suspect that many of the people that use this site do not know that you are in need of funds or are aware of the on-line classes.  I accidently ended up in this section today or I would not have seen this thread for who knows how long.  I still haven't found the info for the on-line classes, I am sure I will if I continue to look.   I think you need to post a request under each topic letting people know that you could use a donation.  Make it so that those of us that use this site every day can't miss it.

Jan
1985 - auto accident- both knee went thur the dash.
1985 - 1990 Four scopes left knee
2002 - Fulkerson TTT
2003 - Scope Rt knee
2003 - Right  TKR
2003 - MUA, 2004 - MUA
2005 - Right TKR  revision
2006 TKR - left knee, 2 MUA
2007 2nd TKR  revision - Rt knee

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2005, 04:24:50 PM »
Thanks for that info.

Here is the link for the courses - http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/courses/

If you have problems registering please tell me via the KNEEgeeks board.

KNEEguru
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 04:35:00 PM by The KNEEguru »
--
KNEEguru

Offline kath

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2005, 05:04:01 PM »
KNEEguru...how about a newsflash in red at the top of the Bulletin Board page...maybe in the News Box, or beside the User info?  Save putting a notice in each subject. 

The challenge with always having it up front and centre is that people will become desensitized to it.  So perhaps every other week or month so it catches the eye and reminds us!

..kath
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 05:06:30 PM by kath »
Bi-lateral unicompartmental Nov 2004

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2005, 05:23:09 PM »
Oh, goodie! I'm looking forward to taking the courses. I had wanted to try them but thought they were only offered during certain times. I've written my check. Thanx for all you do.
 ;D cat  ;D
"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

Offline donna27

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2005, 06:12:19 PM »
I've just seen these posts and have to admit that I never once thought about how the site is maintained financially. I am going to try to think of some money raising schemes in the meantime.

I have to agree that charging for the website in general could initially turn people in need of help away. Also, I agree with kneeguru in that advertising could look biased. We've all been on some websites where you sit there and wonder if that's all the website is about in the first place!

I am going to make a donation now and must admit that I've never even noticed that button before. I am going to ask everybody I know to think up ways to increase revenue for this site. It has truly helped me along the way to recovery and has given me priceless knowledge and encouragement.

Donna x
May 2005 ACL recon (patella) and medial menisectomy
May 2004 diagnosed with torn ACL
June 2003 tibia fracture due to knee instability
1997 arthroscopy shaved away 'flapping' cartilage
1995 Initial knee injury

Offline ski bum

• Regular Poster
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2005, 06:33:16 PM »
KneeGuru,

One thing other sites do is to have a fee for posting but no fee for reading.  I have mixed feelings about that--one of the things that makes this site so valuable is the interchange between folks. 

As part of your store/bookstore, would you consider posting reprints of the articles that everyone cites here--available for download for a fee (obviously cleared for copyright stuff)?  E.g. the Millet, Eakin etc articles on arthrofibrous, others for other conditions.  Perhaps charge a fee for the exercise program as well (downloadable in a booklet form)--this is a great resource, already constructed--and I would be willing to pay for it.

As for the courses:  I look into this 3 months ago--but got the idea that it was over (from reading the available email messages).  It wasn't clear, despite the introduction, that anyone (e.g you or the OS who was helping) would still be 'there.' 

And I agree with the poster above:  putting together a 'membership/donation' drive once a quarter would remind people gently to donate. 

Andy (who tried to donate yesterday but got confused--I'll try again)
12/23/04:  complete ACL tear, partial LCL, tibia bruise
1/19/05:  allograph ACL
7/8/05:  AIR-scar tissue & ACL graft girth reduction
8/4/05 nearly full ROM-released to ski
8/11/06: AIR-scar tissue, grade 3 cartilage potholes on femur
10/13/10:  Mfx, L knee to fix 3cm pothole

support