Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: I need your help  (Read 12951 times)

Offline kath

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: I need your help
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2005, 02:22:16 AM »
KNEEguru, I have a suggestion which I lifted from another site....(I changed some of the wording!)

We run a website and added a unique feature. We already have badges the members can purchase for different reasons in their postbit/profile user info area.  We added a "Way to Go!l" badge. Members can buy a Way to Go! badge for another member. For $5.00, a member can praise another member for her terrific reply.  And a member can gather more than one.  Mouse over the badge and see how many she has received.

The users love giving the badge to others and the website gains a bit of revenue.

Kath

PS:  I can do the marquee and color changes using your buttons in the reply section, but I'm not sure how to change the face of your News Box..as it is probably something in the Admin Control Panel.  Maybe if there is a website guru on here, they will know!
Bi-lateral unicompartmental Nov 2004

Offline Julie405

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2005, 11:53:00 AM »
I know of somebody who has a very successful website..who gets paid as well through the website and uses it as his living.   It is at http://churchusa.com/.   You may want to take a look through there to see what he has running.  I know that on every page he has one of those ads that go across the top of your page....as well as many others.    Hope this may help you out. 
Julie

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2005, 03:04:40 PM »
I've only skimmed this post, so if I'm repeating any previous suggestions, I apologize.

In a previous work life, I actually ran online stores like those that have been mentioned.  If you'd like some ideas or recommendations I'd be happy to assist.  (I'm in the US, but I imagine it can't be that different in the UK.)

As to membership fees - I'm torn.  I like the idea of being able to read the site for free, and paying a membership fee if you'd like to post on the site.  It doesn't need to be much, and it does not need to be an ongoing fee.  But as others have said, the teenagers, and those facing financial hardship are just as much in need as the rest of us.

As to advertising - you could "self-advertise" for support.  Banner adds along the top of the page, or along the right hand column, could advertise the need for support, or the classes.  Like many others, I come straight to the bulletin board feature, and rarely spend time on the rest of the site.

What about occasional "guest lecturers"?  YOu couold sponsor live chat sessions with reknowned knee experts, and members can participate for a fee.  Lots of people would be happy to pay a small fee to have a guaranteed chance to ask you, or Dr. Gresalmer, or Dr. Steadman, Minas, etc. a question about their own case.

As to your classes, I haven't tried one.  To some degree, the people who are most interested in the classes are also those who are probably most knowledgable about their knees and injuries.  As a new knee geek, I may be asking relatively simple questions, and have not yet decided if my case is that serious, or how much I need to know to get the best medical care.  By the time we've been here a while, many of us have realized we are the more serious knee cases.  We've already learned a lot about the terminology and different procedures from the main part of the website, and from other kneegeeks.  The classes offered may be to elementary for us certified kneegeeks.

But as someone else said - while I often assume and expect material on the internet to be free, I have gained much from this site, and will now go make my contribution.  I don't know how these things work in Europe, but in the US you can set up a foundation as either a non-profit or a not-for-profit, which also give tax benefits to those who contribute.  That may be worth researching.

Thanks for your efforts at providing so much information, and a community of people who understand.
Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2005, 03:22:16 PM »
Jess,

I took both of the KNEEguru courses; they are not just for people with serious knee problems.  I learned so much about knees; much did not apply to me but it was time and $ well spent.  I hope you will give them a try; it's not a great investment in time.  I took them when they were first being put online, so I got a lesson or so a week.  Took 1/2 hour or less normally ro do them and I was waiting to get to the next lesson.

[What about occasional "guest lecturers"?  You could sponsor live chat sessions with renowned knee experts, and members can participate for a fee.  Lots of people would be happy to pay a small fee to have a guaranteed chance to ask you, or Dr. Gresalmer, or Dr. Steadman, Minas, etc. a question about their own case.

Jess - That's a wonderful idea!

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline RebelsNMisfits

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Me and my boys
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2005, 03:32:27 PM »
KneeGuru,

My wife and I own an OnLine Jewelery business and we have to pay fees to access certain websites that we use to set our prices, look for inventory,etc. Some of these fee's are pretty expensive for example, to access one site it cost us $500.00 per year. Now this is just my opinion, but I have no problem with paying a membership fee to be able to access websites which provide me with information that I need and can use. Now I an not suggesting a huge fee like I have mentioned but a small nominal fee with close to 10K members, even if half joined to be able to post should provide a nice revenue for you.

Earl
Multiple dislocations Rknee 1978
Diag. CMP, Pat. Maltracking 1981
Scope 1989-OA of both knees -told to live with it
PKR  7/21/05
Scope LKnee 11/08/05 lateral release and debridement
TKR August 28'06 - Revision of PKR to TKR May16 2008

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2005, 03:47:27 PM »
Rozzie -

Thanks for the comment on the "guest lecturer" idea.  Your comment spawned a refinement.

If there was a fee to participate, and participation is limited, each person can be guaranteed the chance to ask 1 question.  A smaller fee may allow you to read the transcript of the session.  So if it costs $10 or $15 to participate, it may only cost $5 to read the results.  (Or that can be free, at Knee Guru's choice).  But it's a lot less than traveling hundreds of miles and spending hundreds of dollars to find out that your doctor has been making good treatment decisions.

And I will look into those classes a little bit more.
Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline Ronxski

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2005, 04:18:39 PM »
The selling of mugs and t shirts , etc is a good thing. Would there be a way for the Knee Guru to setup distribution sites in major hubs say in the UK. Canada, US,  Australia where the majority of the membership is from to save on shipping costs and duties? Gettting a mug for 11 dollars and having to pay as much for shipping, customs, etc I think could be counterproductive.

Knee Guru, do your costs to run this site increase when the membership increases? Or are they set per year? Like when a radio station that is non profit says they need so much a year to run they have a fundraiser once or twice a year. SO those that have the funds can contribute more than those of us who are just getting by due to being out of work for long periods of time from our knee problems. Or like was mentioned , you have a lot of teens checking in to the bulletin board that need help and can't afford to pay a membership fee.

But you have said you are not a non profit entity. Just not making a profit  :(

Not an easy fix . And I have to say this is a very wonderful site. I tell anybody I see with knee problems to check it out. And as I have been helped here . I try to return the favor. Ron
partial meniscus removal, posterior horn of medial meniscus tear,horizontal cleavage type. Dec. O4
Age 56
back to cross country skiing and biking.

Offline MikeBetts

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2005, 05:40:27 PM »
Hello.

I am slightly fortunate here Kneeguru in that I have worked in IT training off and on for the past ten years and e-learning like this has been coming along for a while.  I think you are not necessarily doing anything wrong, you are simply coming up against something that can often be misunderstood by the person offering the service:  that of how diificult it is to make people part with money when they may be able to get the service for free elsewhere.  this is the same kind of issues the Training industry faced and why E-Learning hasnt taken off across the globe like it was meant to be going to up to 10 years ago...

I don't have any miraculous ways to make money out of the site that havent been mentioned above, but things I would just throw my own two pence in about are...

1.  There's nothing wrong with advertising.  Using click-through systems only products which catch peoples eyes are going to be revenue generating anyway.  Also, I think the site has an intelligent userbase so it is unlilkely people are going to be "fooled" by the adverts - if someone wants to click on it I am quite sure they will know what they are doing.

2. How about staging access into the site ?  At the moment the site is either all free or has pay options for the courses.  Perhaps a system of the community based area of the site remaining free (which is the message board) but the advice area of the site, containing excercise information could be subscription.  To add to this, you could boost the excercise area of the site to contain what we call rich content, which could, for example, be a short video clip of how to correctly perform the excercises to add to the static images.  Also, within the community area of the site, parts which give full on valuable advise which you wouldnt normally get from anyone but a surgeon should be consideration for subscription.

3. It doesnt have to be all-or-nothing.  you could have base membership, at a menial fee - one off payment of 5 pounds for example, through to access to excercise area at a higher cost, going on towards stuff which could be close to medical advice in itself for a higher cost still.  I dont know if you have the content for this, but this is typical of pricing within these kinds of information-offering based sites.

If there is anything you would like to ask on a technical nature (or anything else about running websites) please feel free to PM me.

Mike

Cartilige scrape 92, torn meniscus 99, arthscopic examination, 11/2002, TTT Fulkerson 05/03, major scarring under kneecap, pain pain and more pain.  Just had Scope cleanup on 5th April 2005.

Offline kath

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2005, 06:03:55 PM »
A lot of sites will use a membership scale based on site access...eg: base membership vs premium.

However, KNEEguru has been around for awhile and has evolved into a well-organized site dedicated to helping and exchanging ideas among it's members.  I'm a firm believer in not "taking" away from established members (via instituting a membership fee), nor restricting access to those who can not afford a membership.  That's like turning someone away from what was once an open door policy.  I believe the strength of this site is the total access to all information.

I don't think KNEEguru wants to be a money making machine, but rather wishes to cover the site costs in order to continue offering the wealth of information we all use.

I think if the call were put out...which it has...then we answer it.  Those of us who can afford to donate to keep this site running should link on the donate button now and follow the instructions to contribute to keep this website open.  It doesn't matter how small or large the donation...every penny counts.  There is no value that can be placed on the information gained here, the friends we've made, the help we've had or given. 

KNEEguru...I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to post another subject with the heading PLEASE DONATE.  We can continue to talk about how the site can evolve to generate income to pay for itself, but let's see what happens with a plain old donation drive!

Kath
Bi-lateral unicompartmental Nov 2004

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2005, 06:26:23 PM »
I don't know that my suggestion is feasible, but my idea is to have a minature Ebay type auction service for orthopedic aides, Polar Ice, CPM, braces, etc, that are barely used, and no longer needed by the original owners. Either the devices could be donated, or it could be set up to have a listing fee, % of sale price, etc, like Ebay functions. Many times I read about people asking where somebody got a certain brace, aide, etc that they really like, as they can't find them. I do think we would have to be careful to not involve something that requires a prescription. That said, maybe a fundraiser auction, where the auction items are donated by us, and bought by us. Proceeds going to the site. So as to avoid extra shipping charges, we could include the shipping charge with each item, and after payments were sent in with the shipping included, the shipping fee would be forwarded on to the seller, who , in turn, would ship the item to the winning bidder. OR they could simply donate the item, and the shipping fee. Although it would be nice to have orthopedic aids , etc as the donated items, if this is done yearly or twice a year, we could actually auction anything, and just raise money. Would take more organization than this brief idea, but it could work, if it was taken seriously, and all money went directly here, and the items were shipped from the donating person.If you don't want to mess with forwarding the shipping fees on, then make it a true donation. THAT way, the person donating will only be out the shipping fee and the item, they no longer have a use for. I am sure many people here have varied interests and talents, and they could donate those items, also. I don't know how much it would cost to do this, so no idea what it would make. Basically, if each of us donating submitted a typed notice of what and a pic, if needed to a mailing address, than have the opportunity to preview it, before being offered, to make sure that it is accurate, and then have a 7-10 day running time for the auction, or whatever, and the bids could begin. IF done through this site, we could use our IDs for this site, as our bidding name. Just an idea thrown out, where each person could make the choice to bid or not, and no dues would be collected. It would take lots of work to put together, and a feeler could be put out, to make sure that the donations and moneys collected would make more  than the cost. But, with a little creativity and work, and HONEST participators, I think this would be a good fund raiser. Maybe that is what it takes, and a couple of times a year, there could be one, a different type each time. AND the tee shirts etc, could be a regular income also. I just don't know that after the first purchase, if people would buy over and over for the same thing. I,personally hate it when my kids are handed things to go home and sell, I would much rather donate a certain amount, or participate in an auction or something. Another idea is to get companies that make and sell the items we use on this site, like BReg, etc to make donations of gift cards, units to auction, etc. and have a set fee to enter a drawing, or auction off. OR, if enough interest, get companies to donate items, and we buy $2-3 chances to win it, with a minimum amount of enteries. IF the items are donated, it would be like free advertising for the companies as we view them , consider they donated to a cause we are all interested in, and one of us would  win. Setting the ticket price low would allow even teens the opportunity to participate in the drawings. Don't know the legality, just my ideas Teresa I suppose all these could be too complicated, but they work to raise money. AND they don't involve asking for money from everybody, just give those who wish the opportunity to participate.
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 115
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2005, 06:51:17 PM »
We run a website and added a unique feature. We already have badges the members can purchase for different reasons in their postbit/profile user info area.  We added a "Way to Go!l" badge. Members can buy a Way to Go! badge for another member. For $5.00, a member can praise another member for her terrific reply.  And a member can gather more than one.  Mouse over the badge and see how many she has received. The users love giving the badge to others and the website gains a bit of revenue

That's a great idea! :D How about a 'Knees up!' badge? I'll ask Leah about doing this. Thanks.
--
KNEEguru

Offline ski bum

• Regular Poster
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2005, 07:01:55 PM »
My only concern with the idea of a publically visible 'way to go' badge is that it might make it harder for newbies to feel comfortable posting, commenting, disagreeing.  'Being' here should not be the basis of a popularity contest.  In a sense, you've got that already, via the stars by names (although this refers to posts and is not a measure of quality).  Please think about this one carefully--it will change the dynamics here.
12/23/04:  complete ACL tear, partial LCL, tibia bruise
1/19/05:  allograph ACL
7/8/05:  AIR-scar tissue & ACL graft girth reduction
8/4/05 nearly full ROM-released to ski
8/11/06: AIR-scar tissue, grade 3 cartilage potholes on femur
10/13/10:  Mfx, L knee to fix 3cm pothole

Offline Erikadc

• Regular Poster
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2005, 06:53:34 PM »
I think you should focus on advertising dollars because charging members may not produce what you need to maintain the site.  The die hard posters will pay, but others won't because of the inconvenience.  My company has "preferred vendors" for our members and they advertise their products on our Web site.  If you take this approach, you could only accept vendors that knee guru members use and recommend.  You could raise money and users could have direct links to products.  For example, I found a lot of people recommending Ryka shoes - they could be a preferred vendor.  I don't know how it would work, but you could create a vendor waiting list to generate buzz and hopefully encourage more vendors to advertise.
29 years old
2002 LR - left (Sept) and right (Nov) knee
July 14, 2005 Fulkerson left knee (Dr. Pettrone)

Offline dimples3887

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2005, 07:10:44 PM »
Replying to ski bum's post about newbie's feeling overwhelmed by the "Way to Go!" badges.  As a newbie, I think if I saw the "Way to Go" badge by a username, I'd be more inclined to ask that person for advice.  If you know one person is good at advising someone, why wouldn't you want to ask them?  I can see where you're coming from that we might seem not as inclined to post comments and such in response to "Way to Go" people, but I think seeing that as an option, would make me try harder to give better advice and get myself one of those badges.  Why not work towards a reward?
21 yrs. old
LK: 6/02-LR(fail)
     9/05-MRI shows patella bone bruise
     12/15/05-Medial reefing, LR, patella debridement (fail)
     TTT to be scheduled after RK TTT rehab is done...
Pain, clicking, and crepitus in both knees now...
RK: 11/19/08 - TTT

Offline tri-sport

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2005, 11:31:42 PM »
KG-
The top 2 images are the front of two of the shirts i have been working on.  The last image would be the back of both t-shirts.  I would like to send you a PDF file with the t-shirt's images on them, but I haven't found a way to send you them.  Please e-mail me seperately to let me know how to get these to you, I think there is a lot of interest for t-shirts from people on the site.  You could put them in your online shop.  What does everyone else think?

Lynn

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 11:38:49 PM by tri-sport »
04/Dec. 30- ACL allograft (ext 10, flex 90)
05/Feb. 15- MUA & scope (ext 24, flex 78)
05/May 25- Vail surgery-LOA,Chondroplasty, Synovectomy, Debridement,& Open posterior medial release (ext 5, flex 115)
05/Sept. 7- Vail surgery-

Current R.O.M. extension 0, flexion 144