Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: I need your help  (Read 10754 times)

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 111
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
I need your help
« on: July 16, 2005, 07:12:56 PM »
Dear KNEEgeeks
I need your help. I need the revenue on this site to go up. I am keen to build online courses to help bring in income, but they take ages to put together and I have had very few delegates. Please give me your opinion as to why I am failing here.
KNEEguru
--
KNEEguru

kelsaygh

Re: I need your help
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2005, 09:16:59 PM »
Would it cost too much in processing fees to charge a small fee for "membership"?  Sites like Weight Watchers charge a lot of $ on a regular basis for a support and info site quite similar to this one in many ways.  And they are very financially sucessful, I think!

shadehawk

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2005, 09:39:49 PM »
KNEEguru,

Probably because a lot of people like me do not do any business transactions over a PC.  Do you have an address where say a check or moneyorder could be sent?

That might be benefical to many of the kneegeeks....do not think it is that they do not want to help - many just do not set up bank accounts on their computers.....

That is my opinion anyway....

Shade[/color]

ariel

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2005, 09:54:08 PM »
Dear KNEEgeeks
I need your help. I need the revenue on this site to go up. I am keen to build online courses to help bring in income, but they take ages to put together and I have had very few delegates. Please give me your opinion as to why I am failing here.
KNEEguru

You need advertising on this board KG - more members, brings advertising, brings more revenue, brings new features to the site, brings more members, brings more advertising, brings more revenue....... and so on.

What does anyone think ?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 09:58:41 PM by ariel »

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005, 09:59:47 PM »
Would it cost too much in processing fees to charge a small fee for "membership"?  Sites like Weight Watchers charge a lot of $ on a regular basis for a support and info site quite similar to this one in many ways.  And they are very financially sucessful, I think!

Hi

Not at all. We have PayPal and WorldPay systems already running. Some time ago, about 2 years as I remember, I raised the idea of Forum Membership subscription, and it was very unpopular. Since then I introduced the Google ads, some book downloads, a 'donate' button and the two new online courses - certainly that started revenue flowing, but not enough when you take into account the time costs. I am still working 'Pro Deo' for the website - ie it has never made a profit or paid me a wage.

It's the online courses that I felt would tip the scales in a positive direction - but they have not.

All ideas are welcome. Keep the thinking cap on.

KNEEguru
--
KNEEguru

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2005, 10:01:06 PM »
KNEEguru,

Probably because a lot of people like me do not do any business transactions over a PC.  Do you have an address where say a check or moneyorder could be sent?

That might be benefical to many of the kneegeeks....do not think it is that they do not want to help - many just do not set up bank accounts on their computers.....

That is my opinion anyway....

Shade[/color]

Yes. Thank you. Good idea. I will get that added to the 'donate' button. Cheques or money orders could be made payable to ‘ftmg Associates Ltd’ P.O. Box 517, Worcester, WRI 7ZQ, UK (preferably £ pounds sterling, or otherwise  $ dollars or € euros).
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 10:30:46 PM by The KNEEguru »
--
KNEEguru

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2005, 10:28:37 PM »
You need advertising on this board KG - more members, brings advertising, brings more revenue, brings new features to the site, brings more members, brings more advertising, brings more revenue....... and so on.

Thanks for your reply. I have avoided involvement with advertisers as I was afraid it would bring bias into the site. But I am considering this now. Problem is that the big money is with surgical equipment manufacturers. They would buy space maybe on the surgeon pages.

I have made a policy, at least until now, of not charging surgeons to list them. Clinics have shown a reluctance, and I have been reluctant to push.
--
KNEEguru

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2005, 10:31:51 PM »
These replies have been helpful, but what I am really asking is what I am doing wrong regarding the online courses?

KNEEguru
--
KNEEguru

Offline kath

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2005, 10:32:19 PM »
KNEEguru,

Tri-sport has created the t-shirt idea with slogans to be voted on from the members.  You have graciously offered to "lend" your logo.  (Tri-sport...not trying to step on your toes, believe me...!)

Would it be difficult for a company to produce the t-shirts and handle all the business and marketing end, with a portion of the proceeds going to the site?  You could have a link right on this site with an online ordering process.  I know many of us would probably LOVE to have a KNEEguru t-shirt!  For that matter, coffee mugs, tear-away pants etc!

Another thought is to work with several reputable companies who deal with helpful aids etc for surgery recovery...for every kneegeek who purchases from these companies through this website, a small percentage is delegated to the site board for the referral.

Just a thought...kath
Bi-lateral unicompartmental Nov 2004

Offline kath

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2005, 10:52:31 PM »
These replies have been helpful, but what I am really asking is what I am doing wrong regarding the online courses?

KNEEguru

KNEEguru...just saw this last post of yours as I posted my last one!

My personal opinion is that I wouldn't spend money on an online course about knees. Why?  Because there is so much help and advice on this board and elsewhere.  I love to research, and so anything of interest to me, I will search for on the internet or in books or ask advice of people who are familiar or who have the expertise to help me.  It may help to have a direct link to the courses from the bulletin board, as some people simply log on to read the board and don't go right through the entire site.  (you can tell by some of the questions asked, that they haven't read the whole site)

I would much rather pay a nominal one-time membership fee for this site.  However, having said that, it would be important for new members to be able to explore the site before committing to a membership. 

I really don't know what the answer is.  And personally I would hate to see a membership fee charged...not that I would mind paying it, but rather it may discourage some who are in real need of help and due to financial hardship, would not join.

My two cents worth! ...kath

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2005, 11:19:06 PM »
Would it be difficult for a company to produce the t-shirts and handle all the business and marketing end, with a portion of the proceeds going to the site?  You could have a link

Yes. Cafepress do this - http://www.cafepress.com/cp/info/
--
KNEEguru

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2005, 11:21:14 PM »
My personal opinion is that I wouldn't spend money on an online course about knees. Why?  Because there is so much help and advice on this board and elsewhere. 

I tried to offer quality material that gave an in-depth view. Would people make a donation after assessing the quality of a free course, do you think?
--
KNEEguru

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2005, 12:22:42 AM »
KNEEguru,

T-shirts, mugs etc, and adds are good ideas, having more adds is also a good way to up your revenues.  I'd get a t-shirt or 2 and maybe a mug.

I think your classes are great.  I think it would be hard to get the information that I got from the two courses on line.  You may get the information but not understand the context they were easy to follow and conveyed a wealth of information.  If you put a link on the bulletin board page to go to the academy, that may bring some additional traffic over that way.

KNEEgeeks - the classes are first rate - check them out.

Thanks for your hard work!

Rozzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline kath

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2005, 12:42:12 AM »
KNEEguru and Rozzzie:

I haven't taken any of the courses, as they came into effect after my surgery, and being one of the successful outcomes, I use this board mainly to see if there is anyone I can help based on my own experience. 

I did read the intro's to the courses though, and the intro's gave me the impression that the courses may be geared a little bit more to clinicians than to regular folks.  The courses themselves may be totally terrific for anyone on the board...Rozzzie, you are a good example of someone who has been through the courses and enjoyed them...how about having a course feedback paragraph or two from people like Rozzzie?  Knowing that someone has taken the courses and enjoyed them and found them informative would certainly entice more people to sign up. This would be on the Course Academy page and easily read by all.  (still need a link from the bulletin board though!)

KNEEguru...how about having a "donation drive" twice a year?  I think the fact that you have asked for help using the bulletin board is a reminder that this website is totally dependent on the donations of people who use it.  This needs to be brought to the users attention in a more definite form.  I'll bet the fact you are now asking for help, has driven up the donations at least a little bit.  If you picked two weeks every 6 months for the drive, and have a financial goal with a thermometer tally, I bet we would all be driven to help reach the goal.  Nothing is greater than watching the mercury rise as the funds come in!  It avoids charging a membership, yet allows those who can give, even a little bit, the motivation to donate.

This board is wonderful, and the benefit is that it is FREE, knowledgeable, easy to use and best of all, has interaction for those who need help and those who can give it.

I think I'm up to 10 cents worth now! ...kath

Offline JenSinclair

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Canis meus id comedit.
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2005, 02:15:58 AM »
I do think that the Guru should get some of the dosh for t-shirts, etc.  It's only fair, right?

...and I feel horribly guilty for not having donated to the site until now.  I'm off to do that right now!

Peace and love to you, Guru...this site has been a Godsend.
Jen
LR/TTT 3 August 2006, RK
LR/TTT 16 June 2005, LK
CPMs are evil.

support