Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Get the "Lead" Out!  (Read 1416 times)

Offline Pat_A.E.

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Get the "Lead" Out!
« on: February 12, 2003, 02:06:22 AM »
Just kidding, I know the hardware is not lead ;)  Anyway, 12 days ago all the hardware was removed from my kneecap.  The first four days I was back on crutches and seemed like a total relapse.  Three days ago I realized my former gait was back and I was walking briskly without a limp or discomfort!  Many friends had noticed that I was walking normally again!  This morning the OS commented on how well I was walking and measured ROM at 115 before the staples were removed and without bending for 12 days!  This is like a miracle :D  Anyone considering hardware removal, I say go for it.  I guess I was lucky to have one pin turn and require removal otherwise I may have said more surgery is out of the question.  The surgery is a bigger deal then I thought it would be, but worth it.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2003, 02:08:16 AM by Pat_A.E. »
9/25/02  shattered right patella,10/11/02 surgical repair .1/31/03 hardware removed. Currentley dealing with tendenosis. Spring 2004 almost 100% back!!!!

Offline cyndezu

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • I'm not having fun yet!
Re: Get the "Lead" Out!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2003, 02:59:56 AM »
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
           GREAT NEWS PAT! you must be so relieved.

Cindy  ;D
acl allograph, meniscus repair, patella shaving
August 23, 2002

Offline opal

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2003, 10:51:34 PM »
Pat,

It really feels that good?  I am really happy to hear you say that it was the best thing you could have done, 'cause as soon as OS says we can, (close to a year because I'm a klutz) I want these screws out, big time.  They cause pain because a bursa has formed over them and irritates the skin like crazy.  The screw heads stick out ALOT cause I have very little 'meat' on my legs...its all over my hips!  Because they stick out, I've cut myself almost every time I shave my legs!  Gross!!!

Glad you posted your positive experience.  How long, by the way, are you on crutches for???

Best of luck,

Opal
7 arthroscopies on both knees since 1991; many torn menesci and plica syndrome; TTT 5/23/02 for maltracking patella.  Screws removed on 4/16/03!!!

Offline Pat_A.E.

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2003, 01:50:22 AM »
I had the same problem with the bursa, it felt like a boil if you touched it.  It was gone immediately after the surgery.  Yesterday I told the OS how it used to feel like sharp wire accross the knee when I would bend my knee.  He said it probably was the wire and not scar tissue!
I was on crutches for three days.  OS wanted to keep weight off the leg.  I had no swelling after the surgery and today at PT my ROM was back to 123.  I also ran (short bursts) on a treadmill and did a mile in 15 min.  I feel like I am getting back to pre-injury condition.  I still have some swelling and numbness in some areas around the knee and still need to work on the quads but I am really happy! ;D
9/25/02  shattered right patella,10/11/02 surgical repair .1/31/03 hardware removed. Currentley dealing with tendenosis. Spring 2004 almost 100% back!!!!

Offline Linda

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2003, 11:33:35 PM »
GOOD FOR YOU!!!

It is great to hear about someone that is doing well. Keep it up!

Wishing you all the best,
Linda
LR and Chondrplasty 1/22/02, Clean-up, Chondroplasty and biopsy 6/4/02, AC Implant 11/6/02, Micro fracture and adhesion clean up 8/12/03

Offline Netty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'day from Down Under.
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2003, 06:55:27 PM »
After my 1st ACL recon was a failure, my 2nd doc took the screws and stales out and did a 2nd recon and he put heaps of other stuff in there. This was a failure too. Now my 3rd doc wants to remove all that and do a patella graft wih who knows what. I have some very interesting xrays so far. I can feel the screws in my leg at the front when  I touch my leg but I dont have a physical feeling of them being there. I guess it all depends on what you have done. LOL, its funny when the alarms go off when you go through airport security though
Broke the cruciate and damaged the medial and lateral ligs playing softball.Hammy ACl recon Feb 2000(failed).Hammy ACL recon Aug 01(failed).Medial repair and Lateral loop Dec 01(failed).Still unstable

support