Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Brand new here - weird problem - help?  (Read 1716 times)

Offline Dwonder

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Brand new here - weird problem - help?
« on: February 11, 2003, 11:36:50 PM »
Hey everyone - I was wondering if I could find anyone else who could give me an idea of what may be wrong with my right knee (of course!).  I had arthro surgery on this knee 3 years ago for a small ACL tear where the shaved or torn bit was blocking the joint- it was cut away and cleaned up.  Lately, (Past 3 months) the same knee has been bothering me again.  It started hurting slowly over time, then got much worse about 1 month ago after running on it.  I did NOT feel any sharp pain or pops while running - it started really hurting about 1--2 hours afterwards.

Here's the symptoms:  The knee itself is stable and strong.  I have full range of motion and can walk normally, even on stairs.  There is NO swelling.  There is constant pain in the back on the knee and on the inside below the kneecap.  does not hurt to walk - it does start hurting if i stand still and put weight on it. Sitting down makes the pain go away.  Driving aggravates the knee, especially driving long distances.  

I saw the OS who did my previous surgery 3 years ago. He told me that it is definitely NOT anything wrong with the ACL, and thinks I have just strained/ sprained the knee.  That was 3 weeks ago, and I have seen no improvement since.  It hasn't gotten worse, either.

Any ideas?  Thanks so much!

Offline Linda

• Forum Faithful
Re: Brand new here - weird problem - help?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2003, 01:42:49 AM »
Hi,

Hopefully you don't have cartalage problems. If you do, you can look into OATS, or ACI, or somrething like that. I would not ignore whatever it is though since these things seem to keep getting worse if they don't respond after a few weeks. If your current OS is unwilling to look into it, find another!

Good luck!
Linda
LR and Chondrplasty 1/22/02, Clean-up, Chondroplasty and biopsy 6/4/02, AC Implant 11/6/02, Micro fracture and adhesion clean up 8/12/03

Offline 3acldave

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • must check out WWW.AskYourSurg eon.com !!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2003, 06:23:48 AM »
DWONDER..

First off I pray you haven't torn your ACL ( I am 25 and have torn both of mine and just tore my right one again 1 month ago ) I knew I did it when it happened even though my primary doctor didn't think so. He did refer me to an O.S. though where he concured what I thought. When I tore it (most recently) it hurt for a little while and a little fluid built up for a few days but nothing major. The only pain I had was in the back inner part of my knee. I did have surgury on 1/30 (about 3 1/2 weeks after injury) but leading up to my surgury I had no problems with my knee other then a little instability. I had full ROM and not really any swelling at all. Sometimes it felt like nothing was wrong..I am NOT at all trying to scare you man and I am by NO means a doctor so take all of this with a grain of salt..I would recommend that you get a second opinion though...and at least have an MRI done so you can get some answers though..Best of luck and feel free to ask me anything about those knees...ecspecially ACL's...

DAVID.....3acldave
27...R acl 1994..L acl 1997..R acl again on 1/30/03.....prayer heals....

Offline mj/usa

• Forum Faithful
  • glad to have my knee back again
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2003, 11:22:21 AM »
I'd definitely get this checked out thoroughly.
Maybe there is a cartilage problem, as Linda suggests, they often go hand in hand with ACL problems.  Or  maybe it is a plica problem.  Your symptoms sound a bit like the ones I had with my knee.  Check out plica on the kneeguru website and then ask you os about that, too.
Good luck!
MJ
plica excision 05/01,  followed by OATS 09/02

Offline Dwonder

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2003, 04:09:37 PM »
3acldave -
What kind of ACL tear did you have?  as it a complete tear, of a little bit coming off?  That's what I had 3 years ago - a sliver of acl came sepparated and was blocking the joint.  To me, this feels very similar to how I remember all that starting.

BTW, what is plica?  I did a search, but all I kept getting back was a bunch of hits on the word " complications".  >:(

Offline 3acldave

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • must check out WWW.AskYourSurg eon.com !!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2003, 07:08:40 PM »
DWONDER..
Unfortunately everytime I tore my ACL, it was a complete tear. I had it reconstructed each time and followed through with my rehab. everytime. I just unfortunately landed wrong playing sports each time. I used to live a very active sports life at a somewhat high level ( baseball through college ) and still plan to go back to being active. But to answer your question yea, it was a complete tear. I also had some small meniscal tears occur with 2 of my injuries. Godd luck and I hope to have some useful info. for you.

DAVID....3acldave

27...R acl 1994..L acl 1997..R acl again on 1/30/03.....prayer heals....

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 112
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2003, 08:56:51 PM »
The problem might be related to the original problem, eg:
- Joint surface damage from the first injury or minor subsequent instability
- Fluid buildup causing pressure in the place where a Baker's cyst occurs
Or it might be consequent on the original problem, eg:
- Posterior horn tear of meniscus
Or quite unrelated, eg:
Plica
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/html/step_05_patella/step_05_plica.html

KNEEguru
--
KNEEguru