Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee Sprain  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Cruz_On_Over_Here

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee Sprain
« on: July 13, 2005, 03:48:22 PM »
Hello, this is my first post so i'd thought i'd introduce myself first.  My name is Catherine and I am 16.  I sprained my knee exactly a month ago.  I went to the emergency and that was all the information that was given to me.  I am visiting my doctor and he suspects something else may have happened. 
My Story:  I was in a park and I was running and i lifted my one leg up and the other foot got caught on wooden border that wraps around the equipment.  I of course landed awkwardly where my knee locked and was hyperextended.  I had never had this happen before and was unsure of what to do, so i feel to the ground.  When i got to the ground my knee was no longer locked, but i was in immense pain and my knee began swelling. Later, there was no bruising on the knee but on the front and back of my calf.
So, my diagnosis was a sprain...No details were given on which ligament was torn.  Now, a month later, i still have problems with my knee.  My right leg cannot stand as straight as my left one.  When I try to bring my knee back, it feels unstable as if it will give out.  Also, I cannot sit on my knee, or kneel down.  When i try to sit on my knees the pain is in the back of my knee.  And when i try to kneel down, it feels as if something is out of place and that i have no support.  Finally, when sitting down on a stool or on the bleachers at school i have experienced sharp pain from my knee all the way down to my ankle.

???Now my question is, from your experience, was this just a sprain that did not heal properly, or did something else go wrong?  Thank you for you time and help

Love always, Catherine ;D
16 Years Old
St. Catharines, Ontario

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Knee Sprain
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 04:06:40 PM »
Hi Catherine,
   First, welcome to the group, sorry you have to be here.  Sprains of the knee ligaments take a long time to heal, especially with the more severe sprains.  You may need to just give it more time.  You said you were visiting your doctor, is he/she an Orthopedic Surgeon?  Were any MRIs taken?  What have you been doing to rehab the knee?  Have you been wearing a brace?  Take care and good luck with the knee.

Patty

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 05:40:37 PM »
No..he's just my family doctor.  I will be starting physiotherapy shortly.  he wants me to take part in that before he takes any MRI's.  And if physiotherapy does not work, I will be sent to a surgeon.  Is it likely that the physiotherapy will fix my problems? I don't think i can handle surgery.  I don't like that kind of stuff.  And i really dont want the recovery to be long either. I can't afford to miss a lot of school or work.  Thanks again for your help.

Catherine
16 Years Old
St. Catharines, Ontario

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 06:04:08 PM »
Hi Catherine,
   The physio can do things to speed up the healing (ultrasound) and decrease the pain.  Plus they can help regain strength in quad muscles that may have atrophied from the injury and increase ROM if you have lost any.  How long after you start PT will your Dr. wait to do the MRIs.  Personally I would want them done now and am not sure why he is waiting.  If you have torn a ligament and require surgery, the rehab is lengthy but you are allowed to be weight-bearing and bending the knee soon after surgery.  Most people I know that have had ACL or PCL surgery have returned to school and work very quickly (it depends on what your job is).   Good luck and I hope you find out for sure what is going on in the knee soon!

Patty

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 06:13:38 PM »
Thank you for your help.  My doctor isn't the best, but there are no others accepting patients in my area, so he'll have to do.  He's thinking that it probably just didn't heal properly...or that I might have dislocated it.  I'm really parnoid about my knee.  I really do not want to have surgery.  I'm praying that physiotherapy will fix my problems.  He has never told anything for certain that is wrong with my knee, only assumptions or guesses.  he's not really thorough at all.  I just hope he shapes up so my knee can become 100% better and i can put this whole thing behind me...Ughh...I've had many injuries in my lifetime and this one with my knee has got to be the worst!!!  Do MCL sprains often require surgery or no?
16 Years Old
St. Catharines, Ontario

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 06:47:27 PM »
Hi Catherine,
   Generally most MCL sprains don't require surgery, occasionally some do.  I know that they take weeks and sometimes months to heal, so give it time.  If it is the ACL or the PCL most people opt for surgery, depending on how stable the knee is.  Are you in the US?  Do you need your GPs referral to see an OS?  Hopefully it is just the MCL and it heals without surgery.  Do what you can to get in to see an OS.  Take care.

Patty

support