Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: geriatric knee replacement surgery  (Read 1318 times)

Offline dien567

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
geriatric knee replacement surgery
« on: July 13, 2005, 01:26:53 AM »
Hi My mother is 81 years young and has been suffering from rheumatoid arthritis since the young age of 25.  Her knees are totally shot, and she is practically an invalid, with several falls to her credit.  Would knee replacement surgery help her at this stage of the game?  She is otherwise fairly healthy for her age.  Thanks, Donna

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
Re: geriatric knee replacement surgery
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 03:20:49 AM »
Donna,

You need to talk to an OS.  But, if your mother is willing to work hard to recover and based on the discription you gave I would think she would be able to have the knee replacement.

Good luck to you and your mother!

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: geriatric knee replacement surgery
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 03:29:52 PM »
My grandmother had RA also.  She had one hip done somewhere around 62 or 63.  Then the other hip.  Then the knees.  And eventually the joints in her fingers.  The hips helped, and the knees did, sort of.  But the rehab was important, and she was not willing to follow t hrough with that.  From my observations on my grandmother's life.... as the joints deteriorate, we use them less to control the pain.  The muscles weaken, and we start losing our balance.  (Grandma had several falls.)  If the j oint is replaced, it is very important to follow through with a good rehab protocol, to develop muscle tone.  Otherwise it may alleviate some pain, but won't give her back much mobility.  If you haven't brought her to an OS yet, I would first discuss the possibility with her rheumatologist.  Find an OS who specializes in these cases, because they are more complex.  And make sure your mother is willing to follow the rehab protocol.

I wish you much success with whatever path you choose.  I understand the pain of watching a loved one deteriorate under this terrible disease.  Thankfully medicine has come a long way, and newly diagnosed RA patients are offered much better treatment than patients currently in their 80s.

Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

support