Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Red blotches and heat in knee, HELP!  (Read 2930 times)

Offline cjones

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Red blotches and heat in knee, HELP!
« on: July 12, 2005, 04:25:26 PM »
I had a LR and meniscus repair done in January this year.  I've never recovered and am back in therapy.  I'm actually going for an MRI today to see why I'm not healing.

Last night my knee dislocated but went right back in.  It hurt all during the night and I had a hard time sleeping.  When I got up this morning you can feel a lot of heat in my knee and I have red blotches all over my knee.  I tried calling my doc but he is out today.  My doc has mentioned heat in my knee before but didn't seem that concerned about it.  I could never feel the heat until this morning.  Is this something I should be worrried about?

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
Re: Red blotches and heat in knee, HELP!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 04:58:52 PM »
Heat in the knee most commonly would be from inflammation or an infection.  Since you dislocated it last knight there is going to be inflammation, but the red blotches are worrisome.  ??? I would call your OS's emergency number.   If he is out of the office he should still answer emergency calls or have someone to cover for him.  You need to talk to someone today!   I'm worried that you have an infection that was contained in one area but when you dislocated your knee the infection was able to spread.

If it were my knee and I couldn't talk to the OS by this afternoon, I'd go to the ER.

Sending   HEALING   T HOUGHTS    YOUR    WAY !

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline cjones

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 05:04:11 PM »
Thanks! I was thinking it could be infection.  I've had swelling in my knee since surgery (6 months ago!) and it has never went away.  He mentioned feeling heat in it about 2 months ago. 

I left my OS nurse a message but they are in surgery today and won't be returning calls until tomorrow.  The pain is feeling better but the "blotches" are still there.  They almost look like misquito bites but I'm positive they are not.  They don't itch or hurt.  Very weird!!

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 05:13:31 PM »
I'm with Rozzzie ,definately !! GET IT CHECKED TODAY !! Even if that means ER.
I would do so if it were my knee. Hope it isn't an infection.

Hugs Nettan  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline cjones

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 05:25:27 PM »
Thanks again.  I called my therapist.  I trust her more then my doc.  She wants me to stop and so she can look at it.  She said if it looks like what she is thinking she will probably send me to the ER. 

Thanks for everyone's help.  I was freaked about this.

Offline emma_

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 05:59:46 PM »
i had pins in my knee in september, i have had this happen to me 3 times so far, one time was only last week! the first time my leg was blotchy and agony i went to ER as the dr told me it was nothing, i had a blood test which was clear but the pain was so bad i was put back on crutches for a week. it has happend twice since, pain,heat in the knee and swelling but everytime ihad a blood test there has been nothing to report. anyway the point is it might not be serious but just irritatin in the knee joint. not nice i know but not really serious.

any way the point was try not to think the worst but get it seen!

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 06:40:07 PM »
I believe extreme pain and irritation of the nerve can cause exactly the types of 'mosquito bites' that you are describing.  Have you been over-icing?  We had a knee geek, Rhea, who iced too much and had months of relentless pain.  Her knee finally broke out with heat and splotches similar to what you describe--the neurologist recognized it right away.

You might also want to see your GP and get a referral to a rheumatologist to have elimination testing done--for lupus, RA, and any other auto-immune disease they can think of--it can only be beneficial.

Since you dislocated your knee, you really should get it checked out.  But I wouldn't worry too much about infection--there has to be something to get the bacteria into your system to have that.   Have you had the flu or strep throat or something recently?

Heather
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 08:44:47 PM by Heather M. »
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline cjones

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 07:34:12 PM »
I've only iced my knee after I have therapy and it is only twice a week.  I'm getting ready to leave work to stop by therapy.  They are going to look at it for me.  I figured they would probably be able to tell me if it was something that needed to be taken care of today or could wait for the doc tomorrow.

I appreciate everyone's help!!

Offline cjones

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2005, 03:02:57 PM »
My therapist looked at my knee and thinks maybe I have an infection.  I'm going for blood work today to see. 

Thanks again for all the help.  You guys are a great group!!

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2005, 03:27:18 PM »
Glad your PT say your knee, and has given you some advice.  Do you know what tests your going to have?  You need sed rate and crp as well as checking white blood cells to have the best chance of diagnosing an infection early.

BEST   OF   LUCK   TO   YOU !  !  !

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline cjones

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2005, 07:10:34 PM »
I had my blood work but didn't ask what test they were doing.  I had to go to my primary doc because of insurance reason's.  Thye said they would have the results back tomorrow morning and would fax them over to the knee surgeon.  The redness is almost gone but you can still feel heat.  I have therapy today.  I'm sure they will take it easy today.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2005, 07:15:36 PM »
Good that you have been there and done the tests. Hopefully there aren't an infection. Insurances can be so foolish sometimes, they really doesn't think of people.

Hugs nettan  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

support