Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Arthroscopic meniscectomy  (Read 900 times)

Offline Myriam

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Arthroscopic meniscectomy
« on: July 12, 2005, 03:31:03 AM »
Hi,

Four years ago I had an arthroscopic meniscectomy on my left knee due to a tear in the medial meniscus.  I had a quick recovery and did not have any more problems with my knee until about two months ago, when I started feeling great pain and stiffness.  Simultaneously with this, I was diagnosed with a meniscal tear in my right knee this time, and my orthopedic surgeon is recommending another arthroscopic meniscectomy on my right knee to correct the tear.

Presently I am in great pain on both of my knees.  An X-ray on my left knee shows the bone almost rubbing on bone.  My doctor says that the meniscectomy on the right knee is just a palliative, or buying time for another three or four years, because eventually I will need a knee joint replacement, due to the progressing osteoarthritis that I have on both knees.

My question is:  If I already have my left knee is such a bad condition, bone rubbing on bone, how will it be when I have the meniscectomy on my right knee?  My doctor says that most probably my left knee will improve, as I will not continue favoring my left knee.

I have not decided yet if I will have the meniscectomy on my right knee or not because I fear that once it is done, both of my knees will be very weak and stiff.

Has any of you gone through this situation?  I am presently 61 and my osteoarthritis seems to be progressing very quickly.  Should I have this surgery on my right knee?  What if I don't? 

Thank you so much for any replies.

Myriam

Offline amyliz920

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Arthroscopic meniscectomy
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 11:23:52 AM »
I'm not quite sure how well my advice will hold up because healing goes so differently in people, but I would recommend getting the knee scoped. I have had mine done to remove torn menicus many times and have never regretted it. I know that recovery is a little tougher as you get older but leaving torn meniscus in the joint can be extremely rough. It can cause your knee to lock which sometimes will cause deformity and greater harm to the joint. I was just diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both of my knees after several other surgeries, and so i'm not sure how it works after arthritis is already present. I would talk to your OS and if you are in good health and tend to heal well, I would really consider getting the surgery if I were you. As far as it being rough on your other knee, it is a little rough as you are recovering because you are placing more weight on the other knee, but I would say your dr is correct that in the long run it will be better because you won't be favoring one knee over the other. Best of luck. Feel free to send me any questions:)
15 surgeries: 8 meinosectomies, 1 microfracture, 1 ACL repair, 2 scar tissue removals, 2 HTO (high tibial osteotomy), 1 plate removal/cleaning up the knee.
"If at first you don't succed, smile, take a deep breath, and try again"

support