Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: HELP NEEDED WITH WHAT CAN BE DONE??  (Read 1322 times)

Offline HOUMIC

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
HELP NEEDED WITH WHAT CAN BE DONE??
« on: July 12, 2005, 02:15:00 AM »
FELL LAST FALL- HAD 95% OF MEDIAL MENISCUS REMOVED.  2 LARGE MEDIAL FEMORAL CHONDYLE DEFECTS.  AND A FRACTURED PATELLA.  HAD ARTHROSCOPY, SYNVISC INJECTIONS.  NOTHING HELPS THE PAIN.  ANYONE OUT THERE WITH SAME PROBLEM WITH ANY ADVICE??  STILL GOING TO THERAPY.  SURGEY WAS ALMOST 5 MONTHES AGO.
MICHELLE

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
Re: HELP NEEDED WITH WHAT CAN BE DONE??
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 03:13:04 PM »
Did the OS do anything for your damaged articular cart defects? If he microfractured them, then it is quite normal to still have pain this far post op. If he did not do anything to them, they could be causing pain. Give us more info and we may be able to help.
good luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline HOUMIC

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 01:11:15 AM »
DURING SURGERY THE OS REMOVOED THE CARTILIDGE AND DID NOTHING BUT TRY AND SMOOTH THE ARTICULAR CARTILIDGE.  THERE IS A 3.6CM x 1.5 CM ON THE MEDIAL FEMORAL CHONDYL.  AND A 2.6 ON THE PATELLA.  I AM GOING TO SEE A DIFFERENT OS ON MON.  SUPPOSEDLY THE BEST IN THE BUSINESS.  MY FAMILY DOC WAS ABLE TO GET ME IN QUICKLY.  I HAVE READ ABOUT THE ACI PROCEDURE BUT THERE MUST BE OTHER THINGS THEY COULD TRY FIRST.  MY CURRENT OS JUST SEEMS TO THINK I SHOULD LIVE WITH ALL THIS PAIN.  +6 AT THE KNEE CAP AND +10 WHEN I STAND OR WALK MORE THAN 10-12 MINUTES.
MICHELLE

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 06:32:57 AM »
Hey !!

I hope this new OS can help you out. If you are in that much pain, have you got anything for painrelief meanwhile ?
If this new OS can't help don't hesitate in looking for more opinions.There are thousands of docs out there and someone must be able helping you. Wish you the best !!

Hugs Nettan  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 11:27:59 AM »
those are pretty big lesions. Unfortunately, the articular cart will not heal on its own. Microfracture is one treatment but that is for smaller lesions, I dont know if yours would qualify. There is also Mosaiplasty (cant spell that) Look down in the arthritus section for more info. OATS is another treatment. Look under bone marrow stimulation, cartilidge plug tranfer, and I think the other one is OATS in arthritus and you can get lots of info.

good luck with your new dr. Articular cart damage can be quite painful so I dont see how your OS can say that you should not hurt.
keep us posted
missy

sorry if this makes little sense, it is really early here and i have not had much sleep
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline HOUMIC

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 12:14:52 PM »
THANKS FOR ALL THE ENCOURAGMENT.  I WA STARTING TO THINK I WAS NUTS WITH THIS PAIN.  MAYBE IT WAS IN MY HEAD. I AM NEW TO THIS SITE.  HOW DO YOU FIND THE ARTHRITIS SECTION AND OTHER AREAS YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT?   RIGHT NOW I TAKE T&C #3 BUT I SUFFER ALOT BECAUSE I CAN NOT NAVIGATE WHEN I TAKE MEDS.  HAVE TO WORK 3 DAYS PER WEEK FOR 3 HOURS.  THIS IS A COMP INJURY.  I FELL AT WORK.  I AM A NURSE.  ALTHOUGH ORTHOPEDICS IS NOT MY AREA!!!!!!  I HAVE ONLY BEEN BACK AT WORK FOR ABOUT 3 WEEKS.  THE STIMULATION HAS BEEN GOOD.  TAKE CARE. AND THANKS EVERYONE.

MICHELLE  :D
MICHELLE

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 12:39:31 PM »
to find the arthritus section, simply scroll down. first, click on the waiting room icon above your messages, that takes you to the main topics, then scroll down. Arthritus is near the bottom. click on which subject you wish to see or you can used advance search at the top of the home page and type in any key words that you would like to search for.

if you need any more help, feel free to pm me.

missy
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline HOUMIC

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 02:49:35 AM »
WELL TODAY I SAW THE NEW OS.   I DONT GET IT HOW CAN THERE BE NOTHING TO DO.  HE SAYS I AM NOT A CANDIDATE FOR MICROFRACTURE BECAUSE I HAVE NO MENISCUS ON THE SIDE WHERE THE FEMORAL DEFECT IS.  HE DOES NOT LIKE THE OATS PRECDURE...SAYS YOU ARE TAKING STUFF FROM ONE PLACE TO PUT IN IN ANOTHER AND THE PLACE IT IS USUALLY TAKEN FROM IS THE KNEECAP AND I ALREADY HAVE DAMAGE THERE.  AS FAR AS THE ACI WELL THEY DONT DO THAT HERE IN CANADA AND HE SAYS IT IS STILL VERY EXPERIMENTAL.  I GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!  ALSO BECAUSE I AM OVERWEIGHT HE SAYS THAT IS THE BIGGEST PROBLEM.  WELL I CAN WORK ON THAT BUT BEFORE MY WORK INJURY I WAS FINE.  SO.....WHAT IS LEFT  WELL I HAVE TO GO BACK IN 3 MONTHES. I AM GOING TO START WATER AERBOICS 3X WEEK.  NO PAIN IN THE WATER.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?????

MICHELLE
MICHELLE

Offline mebel01

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 11:27:52 PM »
Hey Michelle,

What about an allograft?  You mentioned that your OS said he can't do the OATS with your own tissue (autograft), because there isn't anywhere to take it from.  With your size legion you may want to do a cadaver plug anyway.  Just a thought! 

Marty
Dec 2004, Osteochondritis Dissecans removed from medial femoral chondyle

Offline three_screws

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2005, 04:55:18 AM »
Hey Michelle,

It may not be of any help now but i heard that there is a new procedure being tested where the meniscus can actually be regrown if you still have some of it left within your knee. Maybe you could try and research this on the internet and see if you are a candidate for this treatment. It would probably reduce the pain as you wouldn't have the bone on bone impact on that side of the knee that you probably have now.

Sorry i can't explain that more clearly, there was a post about it on here a while ago, maybe the Knee Guru will know more about the situation if you ask.

Goodluck :)

Pip
Bilateral Hip Dysplasia
Closed reduction on hip '85'
Salters Osteotomy on hip '87',
Osgood Schlatters 1996,
Several subluxes- right knee, meninscal cyst 1998,
Full patella dislocation left knee/cracked knee cap,
Arthroscopy on knee *2 '02', '04',
Full Hip Recon (PAO) Jan '05'

Offline HOUMIC

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2005, 05:31:46 PM »
Thanks for the info. Just to update everyone I am having a Fulkerson Osteotomy on Nov 21 this year.  The os thinks its the best option given that I really need a TKR and am just too young.  (32) .  He thinks this will decrease this pain and biuy me time until i can get a TKR.

Thank again-Michelle
MICHELLE

support