Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: softball injury to knee  (Read 4173 times)

Offline alipets

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
softball injury to knee
« on: July 12, 2005, 12:14:37 AM »
I took a hard line drive to the area right below my knee cap 9 days ago.  I am walking on my knee okay and seem to have functionality, although there is a burning/icy feeling in the area right below the knee cap on my leg, and bruising in the inside of my leg below the knee area and on the inside of my ankle (all of which is swollen).  I also have a bruising feeling all the way down the inner side of my shin although I can't see a bruise.

Anybody have any thoughts?  Think it's serious enough to see a doctor immediately vs playing in a softball game this Wed?

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
Re: softball injury to knee
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 01:14:20 AM »
OUCH!!!!!  :o

That hurts.  If you're not having any stability issues and you don't have significant pain, you're probably OK to play on it; but if it starts to feel unstable or hurts during the game you should stop and see the doctor.

Sounds like you have a major burse and possibly have bruised a nerve as well.  Use Ice to help with the swelling and elevate you leg when possible. After a week couple of weeks you're still having the unusual feelings, have it checked out by your GP.

GOOD  LUCK !  !

Rozzzie

OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Softball_Player00

Re: softball injury to knee
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 04:15:41 AM »
Oooo. Softball. I play softball too. That's how I hurt my knee. Except I got taken out at the plate as I was catching. I had some burning feeling and bruising. My leg was definately swollen. My ankle swelled up like a balloon too. I had a deep bone bruise, a torn acl, and torn mcl. Its next to impossible that you could have torn your ACL and MCL from a ball hitting your leg. You probably just have a deep bone bruise like I and it will take awhile to go away. Mine took two months to go away. Even though you couldn't physically see the bruising on the outside, it was still there. Make sure you ice and elavate it as much as possible. It will help the swelling go down. Try to keep an ace bandage on your leg if you're up walking about because you don't want anymore swelling down at your ankle. Be sure to wrap it correctly by making it tight at the bottom and looser as you get to the top of your leg. Do ankle exercises (draw the a,b,cs with your toes) to help move that swelling up your leg. Oh, and remember to take Advil or Ibuprofen to also help with the swelling
I'd play if I were you.. Of course I played up until 4 days before I had my surgery.
You must be a pitcher to take a line drive of the knee cap.
Good luck, unless you're going to face my team in the future :)