Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: mri report - do I need surgery - help translating it please?!  (Read 1259 times)

Offline shelly01144

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • wishing I could be a ski bunny again!!
Can Somebody please help translate my MRI report.  What is wrong with my knee?  Will I need to have surgery?  I have a constant tooth ache like pain in my knee!!  Makes a lot of funny noises and is hurts most when I press the medial meniscus (inner knee).  Thanks for you help in advance!!

The medial meniscus appears intact.  On Coronal images appearances of the anterior horn / body of the lateral meniscus suggests the possibility of a tiny early lateral meniscal cyst.
A definite discrete lateral meniscal tear is not however seen.
A little increased signal is present within the anterior cruciate ligament and mild ACL laxity is noted.
The posterior cruciate ligament is intact.
The collateral ligaments, tibiofemoral hyaline articular cartilage and the bone marrow signal are intact.
A mild patella alta is noted.

In conclusion:  The main features for comment are the presence of an early anterior body lateral meniscal cyst, and evidence of previous anterior cruciate ligament ligament injury with laxity.

PS - Have got some foot beds for my shoes now which helps, as I have such a high arch and I oversupnate!!
Thank you so much for all your help, I really appreciate it!
Midlands, England

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
Re: mri report - do I need surgery - help translating it please?!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 11:08:51 PM »
Hi Shelly~

from what i understand, it sounds like you have a cyst on your lateral meniscus.  it also says that the MRI shows that your ACL may have been injured in some way earlier and now it shows that it's in a sense, "loose". 

i dont know what recovery is for this because i dont have meniscus problems.  i do have a loose ACL, but in my three surgeries, nothin has been done to them. 

hopefully this helps at least a little.  you may find it helpful to check out the meniscus part of the board to find some answers to the cyst issue. 

keep us posted!
~Mandy :)
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 01:38:46 PM »
Shelly -

How do you know it hurts to press on the medial meniscus?  The meniscus is not really accesible to "press" on it.  If you are tender when you press just at the inside of the joint line, tha't relatively common.  It can be inflamed plica (worth asking about, especially with the patella alta).  But I have that on both my good and bad knees, and I have no damage to the medial side of either knee.

When do you see your OS again?  What has he/she said?

Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline shelly01144

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • wishing I could be a ski bunny again!!
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 02:08:39 PM »
Thanks for you help!! OK

I have a few more questions!!

Do people out there that have a lax ACL have them replaced?

Do they remove cysts, or do they disapear on there own?

Will he mend my tear in my lateral meniscus?  Anyone out there who has experienced these problems?!

Jess:  It hurts and is very tender when I only slightly press the inside of my knee, to the side of my knee cap and below, all that area is very tender, so I thought this was my medial meniscus. 
What is a inflamed plica?  What can be done about this?  Thanks
Thank you so much for all your help, I really appreciate it!
Midlands, England

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 02:44:14 PM »
The menisucs sits between the femur and tibia, behind the kneecap.  Vertically, it is the filling in a sandwich.  Plica is a type of tissue in the knee.  I've heard it described different ways, but I think it usually runs al ong the inner side of the knee.  If it becomes inflamed, it can result in catching, mis-tracking, etc.  It can be surgically removed.

Again - if I press the part of my knees you've described, they are tender.  Both knees.  And I have no problems that I know of.  Not to say that that isn't an indicator.  But more important is pain you feel when using the knee.  Does it support you well?  Is it stable?  Does it hurt on stairs, walking, running, etc.  Can you kneel on it? 

BTW - are you seeing an orthopedist or a GP?
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

support