Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Very specifically sited soft tissue pains.  (Read 1314 times)

Offline katie

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Very specifically sited soft tissue pains.
« on: February 07, 2003, 01:47:03 PM »
OK, I'm 12 months post micro-fracturing due to osteochondritis; have healed up pretty well - walking without a noticeable limp most of the time, painfree a lot of the time. I don't even have my kneecap popping very often these days...

However, I do keep getting pains in what feels like my muscles. They're very precisely located - todays is on the right hand side of my right kneecap, occupies an area of about the size of my thumbprint. It's tender to the touch, and hurts when there's tension through it. I woke up with this; and it's not like yesterday contained much different activity to normal.

{And yes, it's making me limp again when I'm not paying attention, which is annoying}

So what are these about?

I keep wondering if it's very small tears in the muscles or something? Or maybe overstressing the tissues connecting muscles to bones?

And is there anything sensible I can do to prevent them?

I'm a grouchy software engineer with a sore knee. And I'm bad in the mornings. And I haven't had enough coffee. What was it you wanted doing again?

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
Re: Very specifically sited soft tissue pains.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2003, 12:40:01 AM »
Have you considered scar tissue?  It's one of the more common complications after microfracture.  

It's just a thought, based on my own experience.  Like you, I could be fine, then get localized pain that was definitely not bone pain.  I also had the pain get worse when there was tension on the area--mine is the base of my quads, and when I sit with bent legs it puts tension on this area.  OWWW.  It's also very common to get scar tissue at the tendons and insertion points, such as where the tendon attaches to the bone

Scar tissue pain is very strange stuff.  It's worth having a chat with your doctor if the pain is enough to make you limp again.

Hope it turns out to be nothing more than a muscle strain.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline katie

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2003, 11:38:54 AM »
Hmm. It would, from what I know of knee anatomy, be about the right area for a tendon attachment. Although it's the other side of my knee from the surgery site, although it did get worse sitting with my knee bent.

It's gone again now, and I'm fine. Maybe I should note these down and see if the frequency is decreasing...

Was it tender to the touch with you? Sort of feels like a bruise when you put pressure on it?

But, yeah it could well be comething like that. Do they go away slowly over time?
I'm a grouchy software engineer with a sore knee. And I'm bad in the mornings. And I haven't had enough coffee. What was it you wanted doing again?

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 112
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2003, 12:26:23 PM »
There are spots around the knee which can be acutely tender one day and OK the next.
To the right of the kneecap you will be onto the femoral condyle, the rounded end of the thighbone.  Pressing onto it, you are actually palpating the bony surface where problems often do occur.  The fibrous restraints there include the lateral retinaculum, which is not likely to be the cause of the tenderness.
KNEEguru
--
KNEEguru