Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: anyone Canadian?? Just wondering...  (Read 3164 times)

Offline willjen62

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • split personality..sometimes me,, sometimes my son
anyone Canadian?? Just wondering...
« on: July 11, 2005, 08:18:24 PM »
 Hi there...just wondering if anyone here is Canadian...My son had his surgery in Toronto Canada...I'm so thankful to have found this site.. it is so nice to be able to identify with others going though the same process.   My son had fresh bone from a donor - oats procedure....I would really like to know how common this surgery is in Canada or the United States..I just realised this is a UK site..dah..lol
Worried mother of son with knee difficulties at a young age....no wonder I'm turning grey! My son is 18 and is sharing my interest in this web site...thank you for your support and concern..much appreciated~

Scope
April 2001

Tibial Plateau Transplant
Oats Procedure
May 26 2005

Offline brattkids

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • here's to a pain free tomorrow!!! Savvy
Re: anyone Canadian?? Just wondering...
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 08:53:41 PM »
It is a common proceedure in my area- I live in Michigan. My OS does several a month.

Paulette
4/04 microfracture
5/04 debris removal
8/04 OATS with synthetic plugs
11/04 OATS traditional autograft medial femoral chondyle
05/05 debris removal and OATS assessment
6/05 Cadaver Allograft OATS lateral femoral chondyle
9/05 OATS redone could not save allograft plug
12/2006 2007 and 2008 scop

Offline HOUMIC

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 12:57:02 PM »
i live in niagara falls ontario.  i am in need of something like this.  i go to see a dr. ogilivie in hamilton on mon.  they say he is one of the best.  do you know are they doing these procedures there.????  who did your sons in to??
MICHELLE

Offline willjen62

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 05:10:33 PM »
Hey there...Let me know how you make out on Monday...We went to Toronto to see a Doctor Allan Gross...he was also very good..you can find him on the web site for Mount Sinai Hospital I do know he has been doing these surgeries for 20 years...he was a pioneer for the knee replacement program and was one of the founders for the bone bank as well as the llimb reattachment program..He is the chief doctor for the Blue Jays.. He has done a number of knee replacements for old timer NHL players...like Ken Dryden...we found that out during our hospital stay...you can actually research him on the web if you like..There is a really good web on him and if I can find it again..I'll post it for you..We had good luck with him. We live near Ottawa so it has been a bit of a drive for us as we have had to make several trips. I don't know much about the services in Hamilton but I'm sure you'll make out just fine...What do you actually have to have done? Best of Luck   Will's mom
Worried mother of son with knee difficulties at a young age....no wonder I'm turning grey! My son is 18 and is sharing my interest in this web site...thank you for your support and concern..much appreciated~

Scope
April 2001

Oats Procedure
May 26 2005

shadehawk

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 05:20:59 PM »
Professor Allan E Gross, MD, FRCSC

Allan E. Gross became Head of the Division of Orthopaedic Surgery at Mount Sinai in 1973 and Chief of Surgery in 1975. He became Head of the Combined Orthopaedic Unit of the Toronto General Hospital and Mount Sinai Unit in 1982, and the A.J. Latner Professor and Chairman of the Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Toronto, on July 1, 1986 to July 1996. Presently, he is Chief of the Division of Orthopaedic Surgery at Mount Sinai Hospital, and a full professor of the Department of Surgery at the University of Toronto. He holds the Bernard Ghert Chair in Lower Extremity Reconstructive Surgery.

Dr. Gross has published 3 books, 40 chapters and 126 articles of which most are related to bone and cartilage transplantation and revision arthroplasty of the hip. He has been the orthopaedic surgeon for the Toronto Blue Jays since 1981, and was fortunate to be part of the World Series teams of 1992 and 1993.

found this on the web - I am also a Canadian, but have very different knee problems. 

Good luck,

Shade
« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 05:23:25 PM by Shade »

Offline willjen62

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 10:52:11 PM »
Thanks Shade...I coundn't have said it better...Dr. Gross has been very good to us...so far so good...We have another appointment with him..I'll let you know how we make out...I certainly have many more questions for him having read all the postings on the board...it really gives you food for thought...thanks for all your support..Will's mom

Scope
April 2001

Oats Procedure
May 26 2005

Offline willjen62

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2005, 03:13:16 AM »
Houmic...here is the web site I told you about...It has plenty of information on Dr. Gross....enjoy...

http://www.columc.missouri.edu/CODay/2005COD.htm

Will's mom :)

Scope
April 2001

Oats Procedure
May 26 2005

support