Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: what makes a good pt?  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Mandy275

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
what makes a good pt?
« on: July 10, 2005, 11:55:41 PM »
Hi,
Ive been with one PT mostly but im not so sure about him.. like how much are they sopposed to push you.. I dont know he makes me feel like he thinks i should be doing more than i am or something.. and there are some things im not sure i want to do and he just acts like im being ridiculous.. like one time i was doing these stretches and my knee just feels like everything inside is pulling (which is scarey) and i said 'nothing in there will break will it?' and he said 'well, ill be the second to know' maybe im being silly but i wonder if he has my best interest at heart.. he himself has dislocated both of his knees and has major scars on his knees.. it makes me think though,, instead of being understanding because hes went through an ordeal.. that he thinks others should recover as fast and with as much zeal as him... what do you think?
Thanks,
Mandy ???

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: what makes a good pt?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 06:35:18 AM »
Mandy !!

If you're not feeling confident with him I can only see you have 2 choices, either talk straight to him and tell him how you feel or switch to another pt. No way you can go on like this and feel unsure. You need to work as a team with your pt to get the best out of it. Wish you good luck !!

Hugs nettan  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline FJ

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 10:43:25 AM »
I think this is a very interesting question.

Personally, I've had a LOT of problems with PT's.  My previous one told me that there was 'nothing they could do' to help me, and to 'learn to live with it'.  I am 31 and have spent my entire life fit and healthy and to hear that kind of news was devestating.

I have since found a PT who I believe (for now) I can trust.  However, I also have this question about how much pain one should tolerate.  In my many years of knee woes I no longer believe that any pain is tolerable.  Knee pain happens after the event of injury, or during the time of injury.  When ever I get those pains, I  know there will be a lot of suffering afterwards.  End of.

I've also had the experience of being made to feel like a total wimp.  As if by pushing harder my knee problems will suddenly dissapear.  Its rubbish.

My advice is to find someone you can trust.  Don't work in the pain zone.  And don't feel like a loser because someone's telling you to push harder.  You've only got 2 knees and you need them both.  If you've got an injury you don't want to make it worse.

plica syndrome
athroscopy left knee plica removal
meniscus degeneration
osteo arthritis

shadehawk

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 11:55:15 AM »
Mandy,

Hi, I agree this is a great question!!

I believe that a PT should be caring, responsive, informative - but also remain in charge and not be afraid to contact doctors (GP's) and surgeons (OS) and they also should be able to assess patients. 

I have had a very bad experience with the first pt that I went to - they bullied me and hurt me while forcing me to do certain exercises and they re-injured my MCL....

The PT that I now have is friendly, says when she does not know something (I admire that) as noone can know everything/ will write letters or make calls to doctors/ will not push if patient is swelled & follows OS protocol/.  This last one is the key for me - many PT's seem to have a love/hate relationship regarding OS's and I am not interested in this...When I go to PT - I go to have my knee worked on not to hear gossip...My PT has a family member that is an OS so she has a healthy respect for orthopedic surgeons and I find this very helpful...

First PT spent whole session running down certain os - but got all their work from these people so I believed this to be disrespectful....Not very trustworthy anyway....

You should be able to talk to your PT & if you are having a painful day that should be considered - & PT must treat a patient different  eg - injured patients and operated on patients / my first pt treated everyone the same and it is different - I have now found out.....

Bottom line if there is no give and take with your therapist then I would fire and get new one.  Best thing I ever did - too bad that I waited too long.....

Shade

Offline HOUMIC

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 01:22:29 AM »
HI THERE MY FIRST PT GUT WAS LIKE BEING MARRIED TO SOME ONE YOU HATE.  IT WAS TERRIBLE.  THE  MORAL OF THE STORY YOU HAVE TO HELP YOUR RECOVERY AND IF YOU DONT FEEL THINGS ARE WORKING CHANGE PT.  I DID AND WHAT A DIFFERENCE FOR MY OVER ALL MENTAL HEALTH.  YOU HAVE TO HAVE A GOOD RAPPORT WITH SOMEONE.

GOOD LUCK-MICHELLE
MICHELLE

Offline Ronxski

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 05:41:10 AM »
I had a couple of great caring PTs. They explained why I had to do the exercises on the list and how important it was to at least attempt to do them. They had me start out at very low levels. BUT they also said that I should take a pain pill a half hour prior to coming to PT. Or just after I was done. They told me you will have some discomfort during the sessions and you had to know the difference between pain and just aching. There is no way you will progress if you don't feel anything during therapy. It is like when you have muscle pain from the day after a game or running  and you ache. But you have to stretch out the sore muscles the next day.

When I had PAIN I knew it and they cut back on that exercise or quit it for the day. Like when I used the CPM machine for flexion . They first asked me to bend my knee as far as I could and measured me before going on the machine. They started me at a comfortable point and I was given the control and told when it bent to a point I felt it was gettting uncomfortable to stop at that point and keep working it back and forth till that upper level felt okay. For example I started at 84 degrees flexion and I can't remember but it was probably only about 10 degrees to 94 . The next time I went in I started at 90 ,I had a goal to try to improve 5 to 10 degrees from my best total every session Till I got to 135 or 140.  The bike was the tough thing , I felt the quad muscle popping and clunking on the upstroke and when the PT heard it loud once she stopped me and said that was enough for the day. The knee bending with weights was the least favorite machine I worked on. But I still did as best I could.

I had a couple setbacks durinig the 8 weeks and she said most everyone does. You just have to not give up and keep going!
If I had not taken pain meds prior to PT I would not have done near as well. Then you go home and rest elevate and ice.
Hope this helps you! Ron
partial meniscus removal, posterior horn of medial meniscus tear,horizontal cleavage type. Dec. O4
Age 56
back to cross country skiing and biking.

Offline sparkle999

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 05:53:11 PM »
HI
 all we can tell you is our expriences. I love my PT to bits. She hurts me, yes, but it's all very gentle and controlled and she knows when I can't do more.

Initially I was really worried and careful of my knee. My PT asked loads of questions about my pain and ability. She then started work by explaining what was going on in my knee and how what we were about to do couldn't damage it. Then she had me lie down and close my eyes while she 'talked' me into bending it further than I ever had before. I cried because it hurt but she wasn't even pushing, I was using my own mucles to bend! Then when I saw how far she'd got me to bend it I was amazed. Since then she can tell when I can't do more. She always starts by asking about any after effects from the last Pt session and asking how I've been managing, what exercise I've been doing etc.

Then she ALWAYS tells me whether an exercise should be pain-free, muscle-achey, uncomfortable or actually trying to push it somewhere it hasn't been before(ie pain). She tells me on a 1-10 scale how much it should hurt and stops when I say it's too much. My PT is really helpful. I come out walking and moving far better than when I went in. I feel she spends more time with my knee than any other medical professional. She also counts me down when we're at a painful bit and asks me to try and hold for a count of twenty, say, so that I know what I need to achieve and get a sense of achievement for having done it.

Sounds daft really, but she deals with me AS A PERSON not just as a knee and is good with helping me be positive.

I would not stay with a PT who made me feel I wasn't good enough(thats how my OS made me feel at the start). Your PT spends lots of time with you and you should be able to look forward to the appts and how much better they make you. I find my PT a real boost. Just as I start feeling despondant I have another appt and another boost to help me through the next few days.

Hope you feel better soon
xx
35 y/o
ACL rupture
loose body under kneecap
impaction fractures
injury 19th march 2005
scope 9th may
recon 24th october 05

Offline IndyCelt

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 08:57:44 PM »
Mandy,

One way to know how good a PT really is, is to see a different one (or two) as a comparison.  Your current PT and his sense of humor may "click" with some patients, but not necessarily with you.  I believe that a portion of PT is the mental aspect and if you are half dreading going there, progress may be hindered.  I recommend calling your OS's office, tell them that you would like to try a different PT and have them recommend someone else. 

2-1-2005 Exise of bipartite patella
2-21 and 2-23 clean out for Strep infection
10/3/05 Scar tissue resection