Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Aaaargh!!  (Read 26097 times)

Offline NikkiE

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Aaaargh!!
« on: July 10, 2005, 11:28:06 PM »
Ok,
Was told no more running and for the most part i havent run more than 5 minutes half a dozen times since. They tell me swimming and cycling. I'm trying to lose weight cos that's what 'they' told me to do. So I went for a 2 hour cycle on the weekend... and then my good knee swelled up!! Its the same sort of thing along the outside bit of the knee cap the way the bad knee started to feel at the very beginning when the patella started to mistrack. I can only assume that the rot has started on that knee too. I also noticed that when I swim my shoulder clicks!

Between doing PT, strengthening exercises, stretching, the 'right' sort of exercise, orthotics, and 200 million supplements I'm still falling to bits. What am I suppsed to be doing? I cant win!
Chondromalacia in right knee for 13 years. 

OA in medial section of right knee, almost bone on bone.

OA in medial section of left knee

Offline JDELUNA

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: Aaaargh!!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 01:57:20 PM »
Hang in there. I think the first thing you did wrong was go cycling for 2 hours. I would gradually take it easy first like 15 minutes then slowly build up to longer times. Also as you know streching and warming up are important. Hope this helps. God BLess.  :)

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 02:14:00 PM »
It may also depend on where your arthiritis is located.  I use the elliptical machine and the arc trainer at my gym - much less bending than a bike requires.  Also works great to strengthen the quads and hamstrings.  But I also can't do more than 30 minutes on the machine without feeling it for days after.  You need to learn your body's allowances and limits, and work with them.

Good luck.
Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline NikkiE

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 12:05:11 AM »
Hi guys and thanks for your answers.

I guess going for a 2 hour bike ride straight up wasnt the best thing to do. It wasnt meant to be that long but it was a lovely day and I got carried away. I wasnt riding hard or anything but it's not what i'm used to. I usually use an indoor exercise bike (or elliptical or rower) but only do it for about 1/2 an hour at a time. Perhaps the different style of riding, terrain etc made  a difference.

The swelling is in the knee that was my 'good' one - i.e. the right one has been scanned and shown to have OA. The 'good' left knee hasnt been diagnosed with anything but occasionally gets (milder, similar) symptoms to the right.

Problems in my 'bad' right knee started over ten years ago with chondromalacia. After the bike ride, the 'good' left knee is feeling similar to the onset of the chondromalacia. It is a wierd feeling along the lateral edge of the kneecap and swelling below. No pain at all, just swelling and a weird feeling. My guess is the patella must be starting to mistrack. The right 'bad' knee was right as rain, mind you.

I have been icing daily and it's gone down heaps but still has the wierd feeling.

It makes me angry because just when I was starting to come to terms with not running, and becoming enthused about cycling, my other knee packs it in. Everything I've read has highly praised cycling as a safe sport.

I'm going to see an osteopath on Friday and see if they can offer any suggestions.

Thanks again.

Offline Heavy_Harry

• Regular Poster
  • When I stuff a knee up, I sometimes stuff it good
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 01:45:55 AM »
Hello

Yes I know the feeling......I recently "popped" my left knee and it been hurting ever since, add insult to injury I when to Phyiso and they told what excerise to do to strengthen up the  legs but all it did was make my "good" knee hurt too. As I have "popped" that one as well earlier this year as well.

I haven't had a good run it seems that I have to keep braced up well to avoid re-injuries and popping the knee cap again. Not fun, as I have see the dr again about it as it didn't respond well to the Phyiso's excerises that was sugguest, I saw Phyiso he said to not do them if it hurts me and see the gp to see what can be done about the crook knee.

But I won't let it beat me, I will still do my excerise and walking progams as before.....may be a bit slower but I'll do it to keep my body supple as I went by the saying, "Use it or Lose it!"

Offline NikkiE

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 10:15:56 PM »
Harry, sorry to hear of your woes. It sucks doesnt it!! Youre told to exercise to keep your legs strong and when you do, something else goes 'ping'. Its like youve been chained to the treadmill (figuratively) for life, with no carrot to tempt you, only the hope that you wont get too bad too quickly!!

I'm going thru a rebellious stage at the moment and thinking "what the hey", the most exercise I'm doing right now is walking the dog. I will get back on track, but every now and then I go thru a 'why bother' stage.

Hey I noticed you referred to your knee as "crook", are you by any chance an Aussie?

Offline Heavy_Harry

• Regular Poster
  • When I stuff a knee up, I sometimes stuff it good
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2005, 12:00:10 PM »
Hello Nikki

Yes, you guessed right I do come from Australia, the medical waiting list is painfully long here too.....I bet every country has a waiting list!

Offline NikkiE

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2005, 12:19:58 AM »
Hi Harry, I'm a Sydneysider.
I'm not sure about waiting lists but am sure that I will become familiar with them some time in the future....
I have joined a health fund (never needed one before, never thought i would!), to hopefully facilitate any future surgery.

Offline Judey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2005, 11:01:20 AM »
Hi NikkiE,
I too know what you mean. I went out bikling on the road for the first time after using a stationary bike in the gym and duly fell off. Guess which knee I landed on!!!. I was so shocked I could hardly walk home for shaking. Before this, I was feeling really good and danced at my brothers wedding. BIG mistake, and I dont even have any fancy moves. Anyhow, my good knee also now has those strange twinges you describe, and I'm really fed up about that. I almost darent get it looked at as I dont think I can cope with another diagnosis of O/A just yet. In fact I sometimes regret having the scope on my "crook" knee, as I think psychologically I felt better before I knew how bad it was. Oh well, at least it's led me to you folks, and I can educaate myself and take the best care I can. Like you Nicky, I'm a walking supplement junkie. I'm about to add hyalurin acid to my AAA (arsenal against arthritis) I can recommend Emu Oil if you havent already tried it. I use the pure oil which is apparently used by Aboriginies to keep their joints and skin supple. I get mine from a firm in Norfolk, England, and they are really good. I ordered my first batch one evening, and it was on my doorstep the following morning. Anyhow, I find it excellent for reducing inflammation. Here is the ad. www.norfolk-trading.com/products Good Luck Judey

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called "The Present"

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2005, 02:06:10 PM »
Judey -

Be careful with the hyaluronic acid.  I tried it for my knee and couldn't believe how much WORSE my knee felt.  Much more frequent pain, sharper, etc.  I only took it for a few days, and within 48 hours of stopping, my pain was back where it was before the experiment, so I'm pretty sure the HA was at fault.  Hope it works for you.

Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline finnva

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2005, 08:47:29 PM »
HI NikkiE ...

My docs told me to stop running as well, my theory back when they told me to stop running was to sit down in a boat ... and as you might expect, the rowing further destroyed my knees. But I digress, I have been swimming and cycling a lot (cycling especially, this summer), and I have to be careful about "where" I do it.

I have to be careful about the amount of pressure I exert on my knees when they are in flexion (they're bent past 30 degrees), so I avoid hills. I'm lucky enought to have a path not far from my house (the Schuykill River Trail) that follows the river all the way into Philadelphia ... about a 27 mile trek, one way. But because it's flat, I can ride all day (okay, almost all day) and keep the swelling/pain at a minimum.

I recommend looking for a route similar ... and I wish you the best of luck!

Jamie

p.s. my OS does say that swimming's better for me, but I get soooo bored looking at the bottom of the pool for hours. Don't you?
Chronic chondromalacia since childhood
Osgood-Slaughter disease
Shattered patella (2/3 remains)
First surgery to remove bone fragments, repair torn ligaments
Second -- scar tissue manipluation
Third -- TTT
Currently looking into Carticel

Offline NikkiE

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2005, 12:01:05 AM »
Dear Judy,

Yeah I know what you mean about wishing i had never had it diagnosed because i went through a long period of depression, mourning for my former active self, fear for the future and intense anger that it had happened "before it was supposed to". I still miss running intensely. I wasnt any good at it, but I loved it.

Still, despite all this, my bad knee does feel a  lot better, so I guess its better to know and try and do something about it than not. I do still fear for the future tho....

Do you take the emu oil orally, or rub it on the knee? I use a glucosamine cream at night - not because i am in any pain but so hopefully it will be absorbed into the joint.

finnva, the place where I cycled was fairly flat. I guess was probably an overuse issue, as I went from 1/2 hour-45 minute stints on the gym bike, to a two hour ride  - but it still isnt right and I guess I've really done it now! It heartening to know that you can ride all day.

Your trail sounds unreal! I wish we had one here....
And I agree, it doesnt take long to get bored with swimming up and down up and down. Funnily enough, running around and around an oval never bothered me.

-----------------------------------------------

Am not having much success losing wieght. I lose it and then put it back on again. I will be good for a while and then fall off the wagon and eat everything I've been missing in large quantities (chocolate! beer! white bread! chips!).

I get all rebellious and stroppy and times and think well stuff it I may as well enjoy myself. Sometimes I get sick of the endless exercises and going to the gym. I want a reward at the end of it, I want something to work towards - but the reward is: youre gonna get worse anyway!

I have kind of given up going to health professionals because all they seem to do is give me more exercises. I just want to scream in their faces "I dont want to do any more exercises I just want someone to FIX IT!!!"

Offline Judey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2005, 06:44:04 PM »
Hi blackbeltgirl. I read your post the other week reagrding hyaluronic acid. I have decided to give it a go anyway. At least if it dosent work according to the hype Ill have eagle eyesight and a face as smooth as a baby's bum!!!. NikKie, I rub the Emu oil into my knee. Apparently it is one of the few substances that cross over the cell membrane and actually gets tight into the joint. You can also take it in capsule form but I prefer the oil. My swelling was above the knee rather than around the joint itself, and Emu oil took it right down. You can also get it with things like glucosomine in, or for the skin in general with things like essential oil. Judy
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called "The Present"

Offline Judey

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2005, 04:20:56 PM »
Hi All. Just to say so far so good with the HA. I feel absolutely great. Hope it lasts and it's not just mind games. Ill keep you posted X Judy :D

Offline psyquus

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2006, 08:01:28 PM »
Hmmmm...maybe Tai Chi could sound good to you at some point.
Ok,
Was told no more running and for the most part i havent run more than 5 minutes half a dozen times since. They tell me swimming and cycling. I'm trying to lose weight cos that's what 'they' told me to do. So I went for a 2 hour cycle on the weekend... and then my good knee swelled up!! Its the same sort of thing along the outside bit of the knee cap the way the bad knee started to feel at the very beginning when the patella started to mistrack. I can only assume that the rot has started on that knee too. I also noticed that when I swim my shoulder clicks!

Between doing PT, strengthening exercises, stretching, the 'right' sort of exercise, orthotics, and 200 million supplements I'm still falling to bits. What am I suppsed to be doing? I cant win!

support