Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 6 times in 3 years. I need help  (Read 5558 times)

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
    • My photo album
Re: 6 times in 3 years. I need help
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2005, 03:08:19 AM »
After being a member of this site for around a year or so,,,, I am so thankful that we in the US do not live in a country with socialized medicine. My heart goes out to you guys in the UK and Canada. when I see a post about it taking months just to get an MRI or an appt with an OS, it upsets me so. I continually complain about my stinky insurance but at least when I needed my MRIs and surgeries , it only took a week or so. I hope that you both feel better soon and that the NHS doesnt delay your treatment too long.

good luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline calum1980

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2005, 06:02:05 PM »
I just want to say thanks to everyone who has posted on here and to the people who will post on here in the future. It means a lot to have support from people who have been through similar things and who have mostly received bad treatment from various doctors. It has given me the confidence to demand more from them, rather than go away and shut up. It's a shame those doctors don't get to see this bulletin board and see the problems they have caused for people. Severe recurring injuries are one thing, but when you get mistreated, misdiagnosed, ignored and insulted by the person or people you desperately need help from, then that causes a whole set of other problems, physical, mental and emotional. Without their incompetence and arrogance this board probably wouldn't exist. So I would also like to thank the people who started this site. It really is helping. I just hope I get proper treatment soon.

Offline calum1980

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
update
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2005, 07:52:49 PM »
I mentioned that the last time I saw my own doctor I managed to get him to refer me to someone, but I couldn't tell who because he just mumbled something at me. Yesterday I got a letter from the hospital saying I had been referred to a physiotherapist and the waiting list was currently 8 weeks. As much as I am sure physiotherapy will help get movement back in my leg, it isn't going to stop the injury from happening again. I have to hope that he gets the letter from the other doctor I saw, who said she would get him to refer me to an orthopaedic surgeon. And I have to hope that he acts on it and not just decide that he's already referred me to someone else so he won't have to bother. Isn't the NHS wonderful?

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2005, 08:00:25 PM »
Good Luck with Physio.  The physio could ask you DR to refer you to and OS, that might help get the referral.

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline silva

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2005, 09:53:29 PM »
Hi Callum
You are haviing problems.. even with NHS things are not working. You  should have gome tp a&e each time, and they can refer you to O.S in their hospital,. do try digging you heels in and being more assertive, but politely.  Ny daughter has had  really bad problems with her knee, because they did not deal with it correctly in the first instance, also because you was not a sports person they thought  would not be too much trouble.  however things got worse, they referred her to ROH in London, they did a full scan, found she had a crushed pinal cord, which demanded instant attention, so the knee hjad to wait,  and she has now had 4 ops, we do hope this time will be ok, but you do have to  check out the surgeons, also do what somebnody else said, go for a prival consultantion which is about £150, then get put oin the NH list. also try you GP's and tell them uyou want referals and scans and now. The qualityy of life is bad and uyou are not preparted to be side railed anymore. be firm but nice.
good luck. Silva

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2005, 02:09:58 PM »
Hi Callum

I really feel for you, I too know what its like to get caught up in the NHS nightmare.  I agree with what a lot of people here have said about going to A&E next time this happens (I too think it sounds like subluxations/dislocations), I think you may have more of a chance of actually getting something done there.  Also I wanted to ask, can you not see another doctor within your GPs practise?  The practise I go to I can see whatever doctor I want even though I'm registered with a particular one as usually mine is fully booked for weeks!

Natalie
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

Offline calum1980

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2005, 08:51:38 PM »
As I mentioned before, there are only 2 doctors at the practise, him and his wife. And I don't believe she's even registered. I tried to go to another practise, but no one is taking on new patients. It's an overcrowded area, Seven people in a flat (apartment) sort of thing. My area is one of the places where they dump the countries asylum seekers, because they know people in affluent areas would complain. If you dump so many people in a poor area and no one can get a doctor, it doesn't matter because we don't count. I did go to A&E as I mentioned, and the doctor I saw treated me properly and said she would get my doctor to refer me to an OS. Whether he does that is another matter. I will probably have to go back to check. I hate having to see him. Thanks again to everyone for their support. It's very difficult not to get down about this.

Offline shy20878

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2005, 05:04:17 PM »
Hello - I am 26 and have knee problems.  Both my knee caps are tilted towards the outside of my legs.  What you are describing sounds like your patella is subluxating.  That is when it partially dislocates.  The grinding you hear is the damaged cartilage.

About 12 years ago I twisted my body but my feet stayed planted.  I dislocated my right knee.  Since then it has gotten a lot worse.

In October 2001 I had surgery to clean up the damaged cartilage (knee cap cleanup). 

That surgery worked for a little while, but the pain got worse.  I was afraid to go to the doctor fearing I would need another operation.  So I lived with the pain until I couldn't stand it anymore.  With every step I had extreme pain, you could actually see the knee cap moving towards the outside of my leg.  If I sat on the floor and moved the knee cap it felt like it was floating in water.  I had swelling every day.  There were times when I would be walking and I would trip on nothing or I would completely fall.  Thats when I went back to the doctor.

They ordered ct scan, mri, bone scan and x-rays.  Everything but the x-ray (which showed nothing) showed that I had major damage to my knee cap.  I was scheduled for surgery to realign my knee.

In August 2004 I had the fulkerson procedure done (where they split the top of your shin, raise it and screw the tendon in place).  They also cleaned up the kneecap, drilled 15-20 holes in the knee cap to promote healing (I had worn a divit from left to right on the back of the knee cap from the sublaxations), they also did a lateral release.  After that surgery I had a 7 1/2 inch incision, 32 staples, and 2 screws in my leg.

I spent 9 weeks on crutches, 9 weeks no driving, and about 5 months in physical therapy.  The surgery was amazing!  I had no pain for the first time in 10 + years.

Then in Feb 2005 I hit my shin on the coffee table right where the screw was and I had to have surgery 1 week later since the area would not heal!  What luck huh?!

Well although the surgery worked to realign my knee I waited too long to have it done and the damage was already done.  The knee cap is now too dense to stay in place.

I am now scheduled to have the Avon Patellofemoral Arthroplasty done on Aug 18th.  The parts they are going to put on my knee last a max of 17 years.  So when I am 43 I will be looking at another procedure.  I have also caused damage to my left knee from favoring the right so much.  So I may need surgery on that one soon.

I am not telling you this story to scare you but I am telling you this because you CANNOT afford to be passive when it comes to your doctors.  Look at it this way - its your body, they are your knees, the doctors don't have to live with the pain YOU do.  Be forceful tell them to give you the referral!  Once you go to therapy do the exercises to strengthen your quad, that will help make recovery shorter.  There are exercises you can be doing now at home that will help you also.  If you like I can tell you how to do them.

For the swelling, lie on the floor, put your foot on the sofa where your rear is suppose to go and put ice on your knee.  This raises the knee above your heart and will help with the swelling.  You have got to get your knee moving - if you continue to allow it to stay straight or not bend all the way the muscles will get atrophy and you will have a longer and more painful recovery.

How far do you live from Bristow?  What are you taking for the swelling now?

What you are describing sounds a lot like what I started with.  Please feel free to keep intouch, I will help you in anyway that I possibly can. 
RK 8/01 patella clean up
RK 8/04 TTT,LR,patella clean up,
 drill holes in patella to promote healing
RK 2/05 hardware removal
RK 8/05 Avon Patellofemoral Arthroplasty
LK 3/06 TTT,LR,patella up
LK 9/06 Add cadavar bone & hardware
 to repair shin
LK 2/07 hardware removal
LK 10/07 Avon
more..

Offline calum1980

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Update
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2005, 01:16:44 PM »
I went to the Physiotherapist today. I was really worried that, like my doctor, he would decide there was nothing wrong with me. Obviously, not everyone in the medical profession is as useless as my doctor. It has just been very difficult to believe. The therapist was amazing. He checked everything there was to check. He could feel all the clicking, cracking, jumping, muscle weakness. He even got someone else in who did something to my leg that made my knee do something I didn't even know it would do. I will now be seeing him regularly and I am going to be referred to an OS. Things are finally moving now, and even though it might take years to get things sorted, at least I know it's getting there now. I am so grateful to everyone who has posted here and been supportive. I don't think I would have demanded better treatment if it wasn't for this website. This isn't really an emergency post anymore so it should probably be moved but I don't know how to do that.

Offline donna27

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2005, 05:22:18 PM »
That's really good Callum! It was a physiotherapist who got things going in my situation also. Hopefully you will get sorted before any other damage is done. BTW when you say your knee done something that you didn't know it would do, do you mean that your shin would pull forward from your knee?

I'm pleased that you've managed to find someone to take you serious at last,

Donna x
May 2005 ACL recon (patella) and medial menisectomy
May 2004 diagnosed with torn ACL
June 2003 tibia fracture due to knee instability
1997 arthroscopy shaved away 'flapping' cartilage
1995 Initial knee injury

Offline calum1980

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2005, 09:15:47 PM »
No, he pulled my leg to the side and rotated it in a way that I can't do myself, and then my knee started jumping around in it's socket. It's never done that before so I was quite glad they did it. Now I've been noticing things about my other knee. It has this thing that pops in and out of the outside of my left knee when I bend it and my kneecap is really crunchy. I think it's because I've been putting my weight on it for the last three years. I'll have to tell them on tuesday, but it only happens sometimes. Maybe it's happening now because they moved it around so much earlier

Offline donna27

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2005, 10:33:49 PM »
Us kneegeeks don't have much luck with our stupid knees do we! Make sure you explain everything to your physio on Tuesday.

Keep us posted  :)
Donna x
1995 Initial knee injury

Offline calum1980

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
update
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2005, 09:05:55 PM »
It's about time I told people what's going on. It's been a while. I'm doing strengthening exercises with a different physiotherapist until I see the surgeon I've been referred to, which will take a while. I've been told if I do need surgery, it's best to get my knee stronger first. As for my other knee, the thing that's jumping around is the hamstring. At least I'm being treated properly now, but I just want to see the surgeon. I don't know if the exercises are making my knee better though. I worry that it's making it worse, because it causes me pain afterwards.

Offline donna27

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2005, 09:51:05 PM »
Hi Callum,

Nice to hear from you again! I know it's hard when your waiting for the surgeon, you just want to be told that they know what is wrong with your knee and that they're gonna' fix it! Like you say though, you are defo in good hands now in physio. You must tell your physio that you are getting pain after the classes (if you haven't already). Having strong leg muscles is always good for knees, but not if it causes harsh pain...?

My knee seems to be going backwards at the moment. I just can't get the muscle mass or strength back and it's totally unstable. I still can't jog or anything and I'm about 14 weeks post-op. I'm gonna' keep at it though.

Take care Callum,
Donna x
1995 Initial knee injury

Offline calum1980

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
update
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2005, 02:21:26 PM »
It's been a while. Just to let people know what's been happening. I've been diagnosed with a torn/ruptured ACL. I will have reconstructive surgery, then about 9 months of physio until I'm fully recovered (hopefully).