Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: recovery time after Fulkerson's and LR  (Read 1604 times)

Offline weberbe

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
recovery time after Fulkerson's and LR
« on: December 28, 2005, 12:09:21 AM »
I am scheduled for a Fulkerson's and LR on January 23.  I know I'm looking ahead, however, I have to travel to a family wedding by air on March 17 which is almost 8 weeks out from surgery.  I would love to hear from anyone who has had this surgery who could give me some idea if this trip would be possible based on your experiences. Just not sure if I will be in any shape to make the trip.....thanks.

Offline misshilde

• Forum Faithful
Re: recovery time after Fulkerson's and LR
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 03:30:00 AM »
Don't know what  Fulkerson's is, but had LR and debridement and more done a week ago..I'm up and running so to speak..walking without crutches and in no pain..have read alot of others recovery stories and all are different..so you decide which will be..easy or hard..mind over matter...matters alot...good luck

hilde
born with bad knee
83 patella ligament pierced by iceicle
84 50%  hamstring rip
86 lateral meniscus tear
more dance 
99 menisectomy(finally)
more dance
patellar & quad tendontis
05 LR, bonespur removal, general clean out, stage 4 OA
oct 06 illiophoas release( hip ok) but knee still bad...

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • OSCAR
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 04:51:39 AM »
Hi,

I had the Fulkerson Osteotomy (TTT) back in August 2003. I was on crutches until about 6-8 weeks after surgery, the biggest problem being able to bend my knee and regaining flexibility and strength. Everybody heals differently but if you keep up with your physio, particularly with the exercises you can do straght after surgery, then there's no reason why you shouldn't go to your family wedding.
I think you should talk to your OS about whether flying would be feasible. After all, there are all sorts of reasons why you shouldn't fly after surgery but there's no reason at this stage to think you shouldn't. If you can't go by air, are there alternative modes of transport you could consider? Bear in mind that you'll have to sit for a length of time with your knee bent at 90  degrees!
Trying reading other posts of those who've had TTT surgery. Mostly it's a very successful surgery.

Hope this helps.

Laura.
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

Offline loriburns

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 08:00:10 AM »
HELLO, I JUST READ YOUR QUESTION REGUARDING THE FULKERSON AND LATERAL RELEASE.  I MYSELF HAD IT DONE ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO ON MY RIGHT KNEE AND IT HAD AN AWESOME OUTCOME, THEN I ATTEMPTED TO HAVE IT REPEATED ON MY LEFT KNEE AND WHEN I WAS WOKEN UP AFTER SURGERY I WAS TOLD I DID NOT HAVE ENOUGH CARTILEDGE TO PROCEED WITH THE PROCEDURE. ANYWAYS, REGUARDING THE RECOVERY TIME, I HOPE YOU HAVE TIME TO JUST SIT AROUND, OR LIE AROUND, BECAUSE THAT IS ALL I DID EXCEPT GO TO THERAPY THREE TIMES A WEEK. I WAS ON A CPM MACHINE FOR ABOUT 14-15 HOURS A DAY WHICH MEANT I HAD TO STAY IN BED.  WELL, I HOPE ALL GOES WELL, WRITE BACK IF YOU HAVE ANY FURTHER QUESTIONS...... ;D
LORI

Offline My Sister Sam

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 01:13:04 PM »

One other thing I would add is, some patients are immobilized for a number of weeks post-op.

You should have a discussion with your OS regarding his post-op protocol; this may help eliminate any surprises, as well as prepare you for what to expect.

Best wishes to you.
'70 Auto accident - Salter Harris IV fracture distal femoral epiphysis - R knee
'71 R - Bony Bar Resection femoral epiphysis
'78 L - Epiphysiodesis
'79 R - Distal Femoral Osteotomy/LR
'04 R - TTT/Medial Reefing 
'05 R - Trochleoplasty/Medial Reefing/TTT
'05 R - AIR/LOA
'07 R - TKA

Offline weberbe

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 01:47:15 AM »
Hi Laura,

The flight will be east coast to west coast - approx. 4 hr flight - I really hadnt thought about sitting there all that time with my knee bent - whoa could be tough - not gonna buy plane ticket yet but driving would not be an option...thanks so much for your post.

Weberbe

Offline weberbe

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 01:54:11 AM »
Hi Loriburns,

Thanks for the reply...I'm glad to hear the surgery was a success on your right knee.  How is your left knee??  I'm new at this and still gathering info so could you please explain what the cpm machine is.

Thanks,
Weberbe

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 05:19:24 AM »
Hi,

Well..I had an Elmslie-Trillat(slight variation of the Fulkerson's) on both knees. I wasn't allowed to fly for 3 weeks following surgery, but after that it wasn't an issue. I was off crutches completely after 3 weeks and was able to walk short distances without my brace by 8 weeks post-op. I don't know what your OS's protocol will be, but I think, based on my experience, flying 8 weeks post-op will not be a problem. I flew 4 weeks post-op and it wasn't a problem. There was enough room that I could stretch out my leg under the seat in front of me, and I was able to stretch across the seats next to me. Be sure to check with your OS though!!

~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

Offline CMSNYC

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005, 07:36:16 PM »
Hi weberbe,

I haven't had Fulkerson (that will be sometime in 2006), but I had LR on my right knee in 2004 and had a great recovery.

I'm not sure what the procedure would be with flying after surgery, but I'm sure you can contact the airline and they can probably help you out in getting you an aisle seat or seating you somewhere on the plane that might have an extra empty seat around.

Good luck.
Former runner
LR Oct. 2004
Fulkerson's TBA in 2006

Offline misshilde

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005, 11:07:31 PM »
Hey, hey..regarding flying...bring your crutches whether you need them or not...the airline will upgrade you or make sure you have an isle so you can stretch out...I flew from LA to London one time...11 hours..told them I needed to be able to stretch my kne and they moved me to 1st class...sweet....didn't work the next time..but then again I didn't reall need it...

good luck .....with both heling and flying

hilde
born with bad knee
83 patella ligament pierced by iceicle
84 50%  hamstring rip
86 lateral meniscus tear
more dance 
99 menisectomy(finally)
more dance
patellar & quad tendontis
05 LR, bonespur removal, general clean out, stage 4 OA
oct 06 illiophoas release( hip ok) but knee still bad...

Offline weberbe

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2005, 03:07:14 AM »
Thanks everyone for the great advice regarding flying after surgery - I am feeling more postive about being able to make the trip, of course hoping for a good recovery - my nephew is getting married...he is a Marine and is currently on his third tour of duty in Iraq so it is real important to me to be there to share this happy moment with him....thanks again.

Weberbe

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2005, 10:11:01 AM »
I had a Fulkerson 3 years ago (big success) and was off crutches  3 weeks post op. I had full ROM back 5 weeks post-surgery so I don't see any problem in flying.
If you buy a seat, you can always by the one by the window and if nessecary swing your leg over your neighbours knee (if someone is accompaning sp you ;) ;D) that way you can keep it extended. I would rather do that than buy a seat in the middle and keep your leg straight in tha pathway.

Good luck!!

Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

support