Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: drove stick shift day 6, no brace at 10, but still can't sleep :(  (Read 1430 times)

Offline Kara B

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • won't be doing the above for a while ;)
    • new bench press record ~ acl reconstruction recovery
hey everyone! hope i can get some of your expert input and suggestions. i'm 18 days post-auto patellar with slight meniscus tears and knee cap fractures. i love that my OS is very progressive and cleared me to drive stick and drop the brace and crutches just 6 days after surgery...'took me 'till day 10 to confidently walk completely unassisted though. i'm really working hard at my rehab doing all my exercises, riding the bike, light single leg presses, reverse hypers, electrostim, icing 8 or more times a day, etc. knee is really coming along with the expected tightness, mild swelling, etc.

my problem is sleep! i can't get more than 3 hours at a time without waking up in pain  :'(  i've tried all positions, etc. my surgeon is not a fan of painkillers. would sleeping pills be a bad idea? hate anything addictive.  any advice? i'd love to sleep through the night.

it's weird how i feel i'm making SO much progress with walking, ROM, strength, swelling, etc. but the night time pain level doesn't seem to be diminishing :(  hopefully it will go away with time??

thanks in advance!

6/21/2005 ~ auto patellar recon, slight meniscus repair, knee cap fractures drilled...doin' great!

new bench press record ~ acl reconstruction recovery

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: drove stick shift day 6, no brace at 10, but still can't sleep :(
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 08:03:15 AM »
Hey !!

I sleep with a brace on and pillows too. Maybe worth a try.

Hugs nettan   8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 10:29:49 PM »
I don't quite understand what you mean when you say your surgeon isn't a fan of painkillers, but in the US he has a legal, moral, and ethical obligation to make you as comfortable as possible.  If you are ONLY taking meds at night to sleep, I fail to see how he could be against this.  Sleep is important, and it is critical to your full recovery.

Ambien is a sleep aid that I'm using because even with painkillers I wake up every hour or so as my knee protests whatever position.  I find that the combination of sleep aid and painkillers is the most effective, and I'm often able to sleep 6-7 hours at a stretch (I get more restless toward morning as both wear off).  Also, you might want to sleep with a pillow between your knees to help cushion things.  I caution you about sleeping with a pillow under your leg, as this promotes a slight bend and keeps you from extending fully--this can cause problems further down the road with getting/keeping your leg straight.  You might want to ask your PT or OS, but I've been specifically told not to put a pillow under the knee to keep it in a neutral, slightly bent position.  It is the most comfortable, though...you might want to look online or in a back products store (like www.relaxtheback.com) for a 'wedge' pillow.  That will elevate your leg but still keep it straight, and this might really help with pain and swelling.

Heather

*Wedge pillows:  http://www.relaxtheback.com/global/product/pg_search_results.cfm?TID=404933141324500510075585&CFID=25331413&CFTOKEN=160510077&Site=main

*   order from http://www.relaxtheback.com/global/product/pg_product_detail.cfm?TID=404933141324500510075585&CFID=25331413&CFTOKEN=160510077&Site=main&Group_ID=1737
*   order from http://www.comfortchannel.com/prod.itml/icOid/57,
(These are back wedges, but there's no reason you can't use it for your legs.)
*   from http://www.relaxtheback.com  You can order with confidence from this store as they have great return policies; most major cities also have storefronts in malls and such.  Check locations on the web page.
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Kara B

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 08:03:11 PM »
Hey !!

I sleep with a brace on and pillows too. Maybe worth a try.

Hugs nettan   8)

thanks nettan...will try that.  it will probably help my unconscious knee movements in the night!
6/21/2005 ~ auto patellar recon, slight meniscus repair, knee cap fractures drilled...doin' great!

Offline Kara B

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 08:10:18 PM »
wow heather...thank you for all your advice!  i will definitely be getting one of the wedge pillows you suggested.  i think i made the mistake early on of sleeping with a pillow under my knee  :o but have since been careful not to.  those pillows will be the perfect remedy to make sure it doesn't happen!  i have some pretty bad back injuries as well so who knows what helpful stuff i might find on that website...delighted you posted it!  in the meantime i will try the pillow between my knees.

by "not a fan of painkillers" i mean my OS thinks naproxen is sufficient  ::)  i wish!  i do have some hydrocodone left over from the surgery but it doesn't seem to last through the night.  i have abmien i will try though.  thank you again for all your input  :)

support