Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: NWB or PWB that is the question..what is the answer??  (Read 1823 times)

Offline willjen62

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • split personality..sometimes me,, sometimes my son
NWB or PWB that is the question..what is the answer??
« on: July 09, 2005, 11:55:50 PM »
My son had the Oats procedure done May 26th..we had almost a week in hospital...and a visit to see the OS three weeks after discharge...the cast was taken off and staples removed..he is now using crutches and has been NWB...we have an appointment to have a brace custom made on the 18th of this month..then a return to the OS with the brace ...We are under the understanding that he will be NWB for at least a year...the brace will shift the weight to by pass the knee to the pelvis..anything I have read on the board suggests that people are PWB much much earlier...Don't know what to think being so new to all of this...any comments would be appreciated... ???
Worried mother of son with knee difficulties at a young age....no wonder I'm turning grey! My son is 18 and is sharing my interest in this web site...thank you for your support and concern..much appreciated~

Scope
April 2001

Tibial Plateau Transplant
Oats Procedure
May 26 2005

Offline scooter5

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: NWB or PWB that is the question..what is the answer??
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 12:32:13 AM »
What part of the knee was the OATS Procedure done on?  I had three plugs done on the patella  on June 10th and have been NWB for the past 4 weeks.  The OS said it would be another possible 2 weeks as I cannot do a straight leg raise yet.  He originally mentioned I would only be on crutches for 2 to 3 weeks.  As this was the first time he had done the procedure on the patella, he was not sure what to expect.  They are predicting 6 months for full recovery from the procedure.
Hope your son is feeling better soon,
Scooter

Offline willjen62

• Regular Poster
  • split personality..sometimes me,, sometimes my son
Re: NWB or PWB that is the question..what is the answer??
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 01:48:01 AM »
The top of the larger bone under the knee cap..tibia ?I'm not very good at medical terms..but I will get all  of that information next visit...we are very new to this...We were told it was a large defect but we still have many questions to be answered...The cause was a hard hit to the knee
 ( hockey..the great Canadian sport ugh) which decreased the blood flow to the bone so the bone started dying...Will had a scope  and holes put in the cartledge to increase the blood flow to the bone when he was thirteen which seemed to regeneate the bone for awhile but not as long as we would have liked...He spent his 18th birthday in the hospital having received fresh bone from a donor for his surgery..  his leg had to be broken to realign it...I'm not complaining..our OS was excellent and from what we were told ...there are only two doctors in Canada that do this surgery and he was the one having done it the longest...We were also told that there were none in the United States but having read the boards I'm not sure what was so different about ours or If the intern had his information mixed up...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2005, 04:42:09 AM by willjen62 »
Worried mother of son with knee difficulties at a young age....no wonder I'm turning grey! My son is 18 and is sharing my interest in this web site...thank you for your support and concern..much appreciated~

Scope
April 2001

Tibial Plateau Transplant
Oats Procedure
May 26 2005