Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Medial Knee Pain  (Read 652 times)

Offline jakeruby

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Medial Knee Pain
« on: July 09, 2005, 11:24:05 PM »
Hi All-
I'm new to this board and would love an opinion.  I've been running about 25-30mpw, but just added speedwork in recently.
I have had knee pain which has grown worse since the end of my run yesterday.

I can press on the side of my knee to elicit pain, and it feel weaks and hurts while walking on it. The weakness and pain is worse when I'm getting up from a chair or just beginning to walk, and seems to get a little better with more steps. I'm as flatfooted as Wilma Flintstone and I wear custom orthotics (although they are almost 3 years old)--The only difference in my recent routine has been the speedwork. I could've twisted it on the trail yesterday, but I don't really remember a distinct "injury".

I will see a doc if the pain continues for a few more days, but I'm unsure what the signs and symptoms are of an MCL tear.

Thanks so much for any advice/info!

shadehawk

Re: Medial Knee Pain
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 11:52:24 PM »
Hi,

Hope that you did not do much damage to your knee.  Rest, Ice and elevate and take N'saids is the best thing to do and see if you get some relief. 

Here is an article on MCL: http://orthosurg.ucsf.edu/patientedu/knee/mcl.html

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Shade

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
Re: Medial Knee Pain
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 02:39:42 AM »
Hi,

How much speed work did you add?  Just like increasing running too fast can lead to problems.  Regular running you shouldn't increase more than 10% max per week, if you start adding speed work you should decrease mileage a bit and work up very slowly.  It takes your body a while to get used to the speed work.  I went though all that about 30 years ago.  I followed the "rules" but my body was not built for running!  Back then the only aerobics was running???

Like Shade said, Ice elevation and Nsaids for pain.  If you're still in pain in 10 days or so, go see your GP.  Let us know how you're doing.

Best of luck.

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

support