Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Severe knee pain with NKI  (Read 1494 times)

Offline jhayden

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Severe knee pain with NKI
« on: July 09, 2005, 01:33:14 AM »
My mom just left my house in tears!  She has had severe knee pain for about a month.  She is first trying to solve this through our chiropractor.  He has put orthodics in her shoes and has said that it could take a month for things to begin feeling significantly better.  Two weeks have past and she had starting feeling better, but, at my house she stood up from a chair and felt something pop.  She left here in excruciating pain and my husband had to drive her!!  Her pain is only when she bends her knee.  Standing helps relieve some of the pain and that is the only way she can tolerate the pain. 
Now after this event this evening, she is frustrated and so are the rest of us.  What could this be?

Her pain if located in her posterior knee and extends up into her thigh.  She sits forward in her chairs and extends her leg out, to help relieve her pain when she has to sit.  What do you think this could be and what do you think she can do to be able to travel 12 hrs in a car in 2 weeks?  Help?!? :'(

shadehawk

Re: Severe knee pain with NKI
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 01:24:11 PM »
Jhayden,

Hi, sorry about your mother's pain....WOW!!  Did the OS send her to a chiropractor?  You never mentioned your Mother going to a doctor or orthopedic surgeon.  I do not think that with my knee pain that I'd let a chiropractor touch me....You Mom should be going to her GP then to an OS who is specialized in knees. 

You have to have a proper assessment first to find out what is wrong before trying to fix anything.  Has your Mom been given any medications to help her with this pain??

About travelling in a car - yes this can be done - I have to travel 12-hr to go in for my surgery - so it can be done.  She can either travel with her leg stretched out across the back seat or you can use a storage bin from walmart type stores (soft containers with lids) - they fit right on the floor and go from the seat to the dash, and she can place a pillow on top of it - really helps relieve the stress on the kneecap.

Good luck,

Shade[/color]
« Last Edit: July 09, 2005, 01:26:10 PM by Shade »

Offline jhayden

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 09:42:22 PM »
My mom has not seen her G.P.  She is a little nervous to jump into that because it usually involves some long drawn out process, and hoping from one doc. to another.  Her chiro is not attempting much with her because he doesn't want to injure her any more.  He is being very conservative and is asking her to give these orthodics a try before she jumps into anything invasive. 
If this pain persists, she is definatly going to move on to her GP.  Does anyone have an idea what this pain could be from?   We've kind of ruled out ACL.  It doesn't fit the symptoms.

shadehawk

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005, 09:56:43 PM »
Jhayden,

Hate to say this, but the best time to be seeing these doctors is when the pain is severe.  She should definately be seen by an experienced knee surgeon to have a good assessment.  You never know - maybe she will not need surgery - maybe therapy or massage is what she needs, but you will never know if she does not get to the doctor.

This stalling is what causes more damage to a person's knees.

Hope that you can do this soon.

Shade