Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Osgood Schlatter in adults?  (Read 25133 times)

Offline macha67

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Osgood Schlatter in adults?
« on: July 08, 2005, 05:00:17 PM »
I am 38 years old and was diagnosed with Osgood Schlatters Disease as a child.  As an adult, I have large, hard "lumps" under my kneecaps (approx 1.5 in in diameter).  If I spend any time on my knees, I end up with bruises in that area.  I do not experience any pain, it just looks horrible.  Is this a result of having Osgood Schlatters earlier in life?

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 106
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: Osgood Schlatter in adults?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 05:22:39 PM »
Hi
See http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=3182124&dopt=Abstract

Your librarian could order the full article for you, if you want it.

KNEEguru
--
KNEEguru

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 106
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 05:25:45 PM »
You may need to register to see these x-rays -

http://www.emedicine.com/radio/topic491.htm
--
KNEEguru

Offline macha67

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 09:34:02 PM »
Thanks so much!  I was able to view a small image of the xray without joining! 

Offline bigowl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 03:55:52 AM »
Thanks for posting your message.  I have recently developed a swollen lump below my right knee.  It seems to be exactly what you described.  I did a web search and all I could turn up was Osgood-Schlatters, but I am 68 years old and have no memory of having O-S as a youngster.  I have always had a bony bump in that location, but now it seems to be covered with a pad of tissue that makes it much more prominent.  Not any pain to speak of, though it is tender if I kneel down and put my weight on it.  And it feels slightly warm to the touch.  All good O-S symptoms, but all of a sudden?  And at 68 years old?  I am due to visit my primary care doctor in a couple of weeks and will ask him about it, but have been very curious why it suddenly appeared.

Offline bigowl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 05:34:37 PM »
Well, here's what I found:  The doctor said my knee lump was a bursa due to an injury or from pressure against the tibial tuberosity for an extended length of time such as kneeling on a hard surface.  He says they are common on elbows that have been rested on a table top.   Anyway, he withdrew some fluid, but that did not reduce the lump size very much.  He said there may be clotted blood inside the thing and it would take a long time to reduce it.  We will see how it goes.
You might think back to any injury or other trauma to the knee that might explain the lump.  My doctor said he could inject steroids to keep the bursa cells from producing more fluid, or they could surgically remove the bursa.