Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: New Here....just wanted some support!  (Read 772 times)

Offline lissancsu

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
New Here....just wanted some support!
« on: July 07, 2005, 08:20:01 PM »
Hey there!  I happend upon this website when I was reading some information on knee surgeries and such and thought it would be a great idea to join to get some advice and support from other people experiencing the same problem.  I am 24 years old and starting having problems with both of my knees when I was thirteen.  At least one knee dislocates every other month.  I feel like I shouldn't walk because that is all it takes, mainly though I trip over something or slip on some water.  Last time it happend was about two weeks ago and I had to go to the emergency room to get the doctor to put it back in place.  I finally went to the orthapedic surgeon and he said that I needed to have surgery starting with the left knee.  He wants to do a lateral release and then something like take the tendon from my hamstring and loop it around the kneecap to hold it in place.  The problem is that there is hardly any cartilage left in my knees so just doing something as simple as bending down is impossible because i can't use my knees to get back up.

My question is....how painful is the recovery because I live on my own now and will have to pretty much do things for myself.  I also have a full time job and am not sure that I will be able to get the time off that I need.  I have had arthroscopic surgery on the left knee when I was in high school and it didn't help.  I am just worried about the pain, because as it is now, it hurts so bad when my knees sublux and dislocate...I can't imagine what it will feel like after surgery.  Any advice or encouragement or similiar experiences will be greatly appreciated :)  Thanks and have a great day....

Melissa
26 yrs old
Nov. 1996 - arthroscopic left knee
August 9, 2005 Fulkerson Osteotomy, LR, Medial Reefing
January 10, 2005 Fulkerson Osteotomy, LR, Medial Reefing

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
Re: New Here....just wanted some support!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 09:44:23 PM »
Melissa,

Welcome to KNEEgeeks!  Sorry you are having knee pain and needed to find us.  I have diferent problems so I can't give you any specific information.

If you are unsure of the OS recomendation, get a copy of your records and get a second or third opinion.

GOOD  LUCK !  !

Let us know how things go.

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 09:48:51 PM »
Hi Melissa,
   Welcome to the group, but I am sorry that you have to be here.  Our situations are almost identical.  My knee caps started dislocating when I was 8 and dislocated and subluxed all the time.  When I was 21 the OS wanted to do a TTT (tibia tubercle transfer) to salvage what was left of my knees and to alleviate some of the pain.  I didn't have it done then, waited 21 years to get it done and am really kicking myself now (not literally, that would be too painful  :)).  The TTT is different than what your OS is recommending but they both have the same purpose, to correct maltracking and stabilize the patella.  The rehab is long and you have to be dedicated to regaining ROM (range of motion) and doing your PT exercises to rebuild the quad muscles.  Each surgery and surgeon has different rehab protocols so I can't say exactly what yours will be like but I can tell you that I was in a cast from hip to ankle for 3.5 weeks, in an immobilizer for another 6 weeks and NWB (non-weight bearing) for the entire 10 weeks.  I had to have both knees manipulated and managed to get full ROM back in the right knee and functional ROM in the left knee.  With the right knee I returned to my usual activities at 8 months, still waiting on the left one.  
   If you go to Dr. Gelsamer's web page at www.kneehippain.com there are some detailed explanations of all the realignment surgeries, under patellar pain and surgery.  Also good info here on the kneeguru site.  If you have any more questions there are plenty of people here who have been through the same thing and are happy to help.  Good luck!

Take care,
Patty

Offline lissancsu

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 12:35:07 AM »
Thank you so much for your encouragement!  I definitely feel a lot better now that I know other people are going through the same thing.  It is weird because all of my life people have joked around about my knees saying things like "don't you'll pop my knee out" (i guess cause that is what i say all the time)....but it just seemed so rare to have knee problems because no one else i know, and especially at my age, has any problems with their knees.  I almost wish I could just go ahead and get total knee replacements, but i know that i wouldn't be able to because of my age.  I just hate the fact that something as simple as sitting on the couch becomes painful when i try to get back up using my knees.....

I talked to my parents today and they said that if I had the surgery on a Thursday they would come up (i live three hours away from them) and bring me back to where they live and they would take care of me for the duration of the recovery, but that will be hard because i am already seeing a PT here and really like her.  I have been to so many and they always hurt me, but this woman is so gentle and massages my muscles when they hurt.  It is awesome.

I find out July 18th the date of my surgery and the recovery time and such so hopefully I will have more information then....  It is hard to understand everything on this website because I don't know all of the abbreviations :) 

Thanks again, I really appreciate all of your support and encouragement!

Melissa
26 yrs old
Nov. 1996 - arthroscopic left knee
August 9, 2005 Fulkerson Osteotomy, LR, Medial Reefing
January 10, 2005 Fulkerson Osteotomy, LR, Medial Reefing