Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Can anyone point me in the right direction?  (Read 815 times)

Offline 4girls4me

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
« on: July 07, 2005, 03:29:06 AM »
I'm hoping someone here may be able to give me some ideas about what might be wrong with my knee, or offer some suggestions for what I should do.

Eleven years ago, when I was in high school, I was running in my back yard over what turned out to be a tunnel my brothers had dug under the grass.  I fell through (about a foot down) and landed hard on a fully extended left leg.  Over the course of the two months that followed I had increasing knee pain and swelling.  An orthopedic surgeon performed surgery, and told me going in that I had a torn meniscus, based on the pain and its location in my knee.  After the surgery, however, I was told that there was no tear, but that a "band of tissue" had formed around my knee joint and had been removed.  I asked what had caused it and whether it would recur, but was never given any satisfactory explanation.  I recovered from the surgery and had no problems for three years.

Then, rather out of the blue, the same pain developed.  I was in a university town at the time, and went to a new doctor who also told me that based on the location of the pain that I must have torn my meniscus.  He, too, performed arthroscopic surgery and afterward told me that there was no tear, but that the underside of my patella was "shredded" and that he'd "shaved off" the parts that were loose.  He said that nothing else seemed wrong, but that I would probably need a knee replacement sometime in middle age.  (I was 21 at the time.)  I recovered from that surgery, as well, and had no problems for eight years, despite four pregnancies and moderate amounts of low to mid-impact activity. 

Now, in the past month, I've begun having new problems with the same knee.  Instead of experiencing sharp pain on the inner portion on the knee joint, I've started to feeling increasing numbness around the whole joint, and am having trouble bending my knee fully.  In addition, over the past few days, I've had tremendous difficulty putting all my weight (I'm small to average sized) on that leg - going up stairs or rising from a sitting position is very hard and hurts.  Of course, this would happen when I'm in the midst of switching health insurance coverage. 

When my new insurance kicks in in September, I plan to see an orthopedist, but want to know (1) what to do in the interim, and (2) what on earth might be the problem.  None of the answers I've received sound very convincing, especially since no one seems to know why this is happening.  Any thoughts?

Oh - two other pieces.  I was a serious ballet dancer in adolescence and did dance on some injuries, including a stress fracture to my left leg.  I'm hyperextended in both knees.  Also, a physical therapist told me after my second surgery that my left leg is slightly longer than my right.  He suggested a heel lift, but it hurt too much, so I never really wore it.

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can provide.

Offline Ron22

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Can anyone point me in the right direction?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 03:50:24 AM »
sounds like there could be a few things going on here...hopefully an ortho will do a full eval....for strength..ROM...and sturctural probs...the fact u were a dancer could be a factor.....an mri..enhanced x rays maybe a bone scan....get the full history and all files from previous ops....and ask as many questions as u need to..could be further mensicus issues..tracking probs ..or the plica or fat pad syndrome....

hang in there...and let me know if i can help further...

ronnie
Surgery #1 ACL/LR/Mdl Mesniscus
Surgery #2 Vascular Repair
Surgery#3 ACL/Ltl Mesniscus/MCL
Surgery#4 Vascular Repair
Surgery#5 Maquet/Bone Graft/Screw/LR/ACL
Arthritis/Knee/Hip
Necrosis/Hip
PFS/Chronomalacia
RSD
Vascular Issues
All on Right Leg

Offline sssummar

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 04:22:31 AM »
I completely understand your plight.  Who knew that Ballet was such a hard sport on your knees.  I was a ballet dancer as well.

Really for pain control,  motrin and Aleve are the best.  YOu can also Ice the knee.  Really work on your strengthing excercises in the meantime.  Do not do them if they hurt.  In other words-let the pain tell you what to do.  ALso you may want to try some of the thermacare heat wraps for the knee.  They really seem to help me. 

Hope everything turns out ok.

SSS :)
1992-Medial meniscal repair-r
1994-Medial meniscal removal-l
2000-Medial meniscal allograph-r
2000-clear out trash from allograph-r
2002-medial meniscal repair-l
2005-HTO Open Wedge

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 01:49:42 PM »
I agree with the previous posts.  RICE (rest, elevation, ice, compression), use NSAIDS alive, mtrin for pain control.  Go see an OS as soon as you can with your new inshrance.  While you are waiting for that get your complete records, including operative reports and x-rays and mris etc.  The new OS will have more information to evaluate your knee and help you.

GOOD   LUCK !  !

Let us know how you are doing.

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006