Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: What should I buy? Upright or Recumbent bike for ACL Reconstruction  (Read 2187 times)

Softball_Player00

I do not know whether I should buy an upright or recumbent stationary bike. I just had ACL reconstruction surgery (hamstring graft) and need to buy a bike. Which one should I choose? Can anyone help?
S-ball Player

shadehawk

Re: What should I buy? Upright or Recumbent bike for ACL Reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 07:41:00 PM »
Hi,

Welcome to the board.  I have not had ACL reconstruction, but have ligament injuries and find that the recumbent bike has really helped with keeping me exercising. 

You do not feel the pressure on your kneecap while peddling and the seat is so much more comfy and easier on the back.....guess it comes down to what feels best for you....

I purchased my bike at a Zeller's store and it was very reasonable and you can try both types of bike while there - for my knees there was no tough decision - the recumbent just felt better.....

Hope this helps you,         

Shade[/color]                           
« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 07:43:00 PM by Shade »

Offline raquetball1

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • RACQUETBALL--WALL TO WALL--INSANITY
Re: What should I buy? Upright or Recumbent bike for ACL Reconstruction
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 09:23:17 PM »
Hi there softballplayer,

While in rehab, I only used  stationary bike to warm up and used the upright version.  Only time PT put me on the recumbent bike was when the stepper was out of order.  Once on my own rehab after six months in PT, I use the upright to warm up and the recumbent for cool down if I don't feel like treadmill. I can't personally feel any difference in the two bikes.  One thing stressed by my PT was to keep seat at as low a setting as you can tolerate so that you go for maximum flex while pedaling.  Make sure you invest in a good bike so that equipment issues don't become a danger to you.  I'm assuming you don't live near a "Y", a fitness center or a university with a rec center offering community membership?  Cause if you do, the facility membership would be a better investment than your own bike if it has Cybex type machines (not free weight).  I'm using nine different pieces of apparatus at rec center plus medicine ball for lunging, exercise step for stepups/stepdowns and dipping, mat and large ball for rollins/rollouts and scissoring. Have access to swimming pool and resistance pool, ellipticals etc.  And full access at any time to rec center cost me only $175 for summer membership.

Best of luck in your rehab. 
autopatellar acl recon Nov. 2004 at age 51

Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech.

support